Asda Dual 801 - problem since upgrading firmware

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by m.stephens, May 4, 2007.

Tags:
  1. m.stephens

m.stephens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I have the £80 Asda Dual 801 PVR which I have upgraded with the firmware version which allows recording 2 channels at once.

I recently noticed that the "red button" interactive features (including the screen information display for radio channels) seemed to have disappeared and eventually unplugged the machine and restarted it which seemed to fix the problem. However, a bit later on, I selected text on another channel which then displayed a "loading" message which just stayed there until I changed channel again - and then the interactive stuff didn't work again.

Is this anything to do with the firmware upgrade ? I know it causes problems with the program guide due to reduced free memory. Is it possible that some interactive pages are too big to fit into the memory and this stops everything working until the box is restarted ?

2. crammedin

crammedin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    It is a feature of the unofficial firmware thats right. You already know about the EPG. It does look as though there isnt enough memory for it.

3. badlydrunkboy

badlydrunkboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just out of interest, how did you find the Dual before you upgraded the firmware? I am looking at getting something like this and am not bothered about recording 2 things at once so would you recommend it?

I had a Dual DVD player from ASDA a year or so ago and it was fantastic. Still going strong and plays anything you throw at it.

4. crammedin

crammedin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I got my father in law to get a Dual after the Digifusion went its usual way (and after 13 months so just out of warranty on this occasion too!). We both liked it. Despite some minor quirks we both liked it, very straight formward to use and the guide is very good in my opinion. Also this one had some random problem with the guide in that the EPG would just disapear. Because of this it was taken to the shop for a replacement - but they didnt have anymore - and he ended up getting a returned Humax PVR from the next door electrical retailer. I have heard of the EPG problem before but our first choice was to get another Dual from Asda as a replacement and it was only because they didnt have any that another one was sought.

5. m.stephens

m.stephens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44

With or without the firmware upgrade its good value. Its my first PVR so I can't compare it with others. It seems to be pretty reliable and recording stuff is incredibly easy. Since getting it, we rarely actually bother watching our Virgin(Telewest) STB - which incidentally is nowhere near as good as the Dual for its user interface.

It occasionally stutters during viewing and this seems to coincide with things like dishwasher, washing machine cycle changes so presumably a clean mains supply would cure this.

6. badlydrunkboy

badlydrunkboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How big's the hard drive?

And what colour is it? I'd love a black one :cool:

7. m.stephens

m.stephens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    80Gb although I suppose you should be able to DIY upgrade to 160Gb - others have done with similar boxes.

Silver/ grey but the front is mostly black.

8. max10

max10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine's just gone bosoms up after 4 months. Performs disk check but won't switch on. Seemed quite sturdy and reliable until this. C'est la vie...