Asda Dual 20" Failed after less than 2 years. Please help.

Gandalf999

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I have a Dual 20" LCD purchased from Asda in Nov 2005 ( So less than 2 years old )
Today it went kaput.
First the picture went on all inputs and shortly after the sound also went.
Then when you try to switch it on from standby it just goes straight to standby again.
It, now, will not even switch on but the red standby light is flashing.

I took a trip to Asda and spoke to customer services who said it is over a year old so out of warranty.
I asked to speak to a manager so the CS lady phoned the Electrical Dept manager.
He deemed it unnecessary to even talk to me in person and just reiterated the out of warranty argument.
I asked to speak to the store manager and he came to see me. He just said the same thing.
I said that I had paid £300 for a TV and considered less than 2 years of service was not good enough.
He basically said there was nothing they would do about it.
I said that according to the Sale of Goods Act the goods should be "Fit for purpose" He said the TV was when I bought it.

I went to a TV repair shop and he told me to bin it.
He said they had seen a lot of these and they were all junk.

What do I do ?
Where do I stand ?

Thanks in anticipation.

ring your local trading standards, you can claim for up to 6 years.

regards

John.

sorry but you bought cheap from a supermarket, what do you really expect, quality is not expensive it is priceless, buy cheap and buy twice, put it down to an expensive mistake, why do you think they did not try to sell you an extended warranty, perhaps they knew something you didn't, it is out of warrenty. 2 years for £200 on an expensive piece of equipment is a reasonable amount of time for it to last, i doubt you will have any recourse.
Sorry to hear of your misfortune though.

No offence but 6 years old and already has a 20" tv, skybox & PS2 in their room ??!!

Hi All

I have a Dual 20" LCD purchased from Asda in Nov 2005 ( So less than 2 years old )
It is in my 6 year olds bedroom where it is connected to a Sky box and a PS2.
Today it went kaput.
Then when you try to switch it on from standby it just goes straight to standby again.

I took a trip to Asda and spoke to customer services who said it is over a year old so out of warranty.
I asked to speak to a manager so the CS lady phoned the Electrical Dept manager.
He deemed it unnecessary to even talk to me in person and just reiterated the out of warranty argument.
I asked to speak to the store manager and he came to see me. He just said the same thing.
I said that I had paid £300 for a TV and considered less than 2 years of service was not good enough.
I said that according to the Sale of Goods Act the goods should be "Fit for purpose" He said the TV was when I bought it.

What do I do ?
Where do I stand ?

Thanks in anticipation.

I'm sure that It should be covered byt he SOG act for at least 2 years being a tv and the price you paid.

Definately look into this!

I took a trip to Asda and spoke to customer services who said it is over a year old so out of warranty

They are right i'm afraid. If you can find the company who made it you might possibly get some joy out of them but it is unlikely. They built it to be cheap not to last, you can't have both.

You bought a cheap screen from a supermarket with a 1 year warranty (as required by UK law).

How can you complain if it failed outside the warranty period (and not 1 day after the 12 months or something silly like that) ?

whoa...Gandalf999 asked for some advice on his tv not his parenting skills.

Curly

Cheers for that Curly99.
Also thanks Tinderbox (UK), jsandel1 and wavefront for at least trying to answer my question.
No wonder firms get away with producing sh*te goods if some of the above remarks are typical.
I am fed up with shoddy goods and companies being allowed to get away with it.
I will not be dragged into a flame war as to what my son has or has not got.

If you cannot help me then DO NOT post. Carry on accepting crap goods yourselves.

There isn't always a direct correlation between cost and quality but generally cheap things are cheap for a reason - for example the components they used are cheaper, cheap capacitors are much less likely to last than more expensive and better quality ones.

My last TV cost £800 and lasted for about 10 years. Maybe I just got lucky but I like to think that the price went towards the quality which helped it last so long.

Cheers for that Curly99.
Also thanks Tinderbox (UK), jsandel1 and wavefront for at least trying to answer my question.
No wonder firms get away with producing sh*te goods if some of the above remarks are typical.
I am fed up with shoddy goods and companies being allowed to get away with it.
I will not be dragged into a flame war as to what my son has or has not got.

If you cannot help me then DO NOT post. Carry on accepting crap goods yourselves.

This from a person with 3 posts...

sorry but you bought cheap from a supermarket, what do you really expect, quality is not expensive it is priceless, buy cheap and buy twice, put it down to an expensive mistake, why do you think they did not try to sell you an extended warranty, perhaps they knew something you didn't, it is out of warrenty. 2 years for £200 on an expensive piece of equipment is a reasonable amount of time for it to last, i doubt you will have any recourse.
Sorry to hear of your misfortune though.

I disagree. Doesn't matter if the TV was cheap. It is expected a reasonable amount of time and last a lot longer than two years and that is law. Two years for £200 is not a reasonable amount of time.

I never did question you parenting skills, I was mearly asking whether I had understood that properly. Just interesting how times change etc being relatively young myself

BTW good luck with getting the tv replaced, I had a similar issue with Comet and £300 28" windscreen JVC TV that was dodgy from day one. I gave up in the end cos it was going to be far too much hassle - I just know never to use Comet again ! The main issue is how to define what is a reasonable period of time in relation to the value/brand reputation.

Its certainly something that needs to be addressed, too many people believe that after the warranty runs out they have to rights what so ever.

The main issue is how to define what is a reasonable period of time in relation to the value/brand reputation.

Its certainly something that needs to be addressed, too many people believe that after the warranty runs out they have to rights what so ever.

Its a misconception to think just because it is something cheap that it is expected to have a shorter life. Cost is irrevalent. If someone bought a £200 TV and someone bought a £500 one. Why should the cheaper one be expected to die first? They are both expected to last a certain reasonable amount of time. The more expensive is likely to be better at doing its job but the cheaper one still should be working after a satisfactorily amount of time.

The SOGA defines six years clearly. This would also apply to other things such as white goods (washing machines, fridges cookers etc) that are expected to last and not stop working after a couple of years.

I have a £250 LCD TV and still expect it to last five years or more.

Its a misconception to think just because it is something cheap that it is expected to have a shorter life. Cost is irrevalent. If someone bought a £200 TV and someone bought a £500 one. Why should the cheaper one be expected to die first? They are both expected to last a certain reasonable amount of time. The more expensive is likely to be better at doing its job but the cheaper one still should be working after a satisfactorily amount of time.

The SOGA defines six years clearly. This would also apply to other things such as white goods (washing machines, fridges cookers etc) that are expected to last and not stop working after a couple of years.

The sale of goods act does not actually define 6 years as the time period for the item to last. 6 years is the length of time you have any comeback to claim damages from the retailer.

The sale goods act state that goods should "last a reasonable period of time", this is dependant on the item in question. It is quite fair to assume that a more expensive item will last longer over a cheaper alternative. The problem is defining what a reasonable period of time is these days, as stuff is just not the quality it was 15 -20 years ago.

Hi All

Today it went kaput.

What do I do ?
Where do I stand ?

Thanks in anticipation.

Take it back to them and tell them that the SOGA states that your purchase has to last for a reasonable time and less than 2 years is not reasonable. Tell them you want it replaced or fixed and if they decline as its out of warranty then tell them you will be taking them to the small claims court. Normally at this stage they will refund or replace the LCD as it will be more hassle than its worth to them.

Good luck and let was know how you get on.

Because chances are (not all the time, granted) it will be made to a lower standard and use lower quality components, it seems pretty obvious that it won't last as long.

Regarding "expected life cycle", nowhere is it written in stone "LCDs are supposed to last X years" so why you feel entitled for it to work for 5 years+ is beyond me.

Also:

Q3. Are all goods supposed to last six (or five) years?

No, that is the limit for bringing a court case in England and Wales
(five years from the time of discovery in Scotland's case). An item only needs to last as long as it is reasonable to expect it to, taking into account all the factors. An oil filter would usually not last longer than a year but that would not mean it was unsatisfactory.

http://www.dti.gov.uk/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

Because chances are (not all the time, granted) it will be made to a lower standard and use lower quality components, it seems pretty obvious that it won't last as long.

Regarding "expected life cycle", nowhere is it written in stone "LCDs are supposed to last X years" so why you feel entitled for it to work for 5 years+ is beyond me.

They would have the manufacturers average life (or half life) for screens. I guess you could say that it was unsatisfactory if it fell significantly short of that.

But as you say there is nowhere that says LCDs should last for so long - the only measurement in place is the 12months warranty.

I dont see them replacing a set just because it failed short of 2 years (months longer than the 1yr warranty) or agreeing to the principle and replacing it either. They may replace it if someone caused them enough hassle - the replacement would be to shut them up, not because they accept the argument that it should last 6 years or whatever.

I can't see much joy with this one, once you are outside the warranty period it is generally accepted that the consumer will bear the cost of repair. You would have to be able to prove that the item failed through an intrinsic design fault in order to progress this and I cannot imagine that would be easy.

With regards to accepting crap goods, I would say it is more a case of purchasing crap goods. If you buy a cheap TV from a cheap supermarket then I wouldn't expect much in terms of quality or longevity. As long as there is a market for these type of goods driven by consumers purchasing them then they will continue to exist.

I think most people in their right minds would not purchase a TV for £200 if they knew it wouldn't last longer than two years. therefore to sell a TV that lasts for such a short period is to sell an item 'not fit for its purpose'. you would win at small claims. I had this with a washing machine a Candy and the company backed down in the end and fixed it. I also had a similar problem with a Thomson Plasma tv and Comet. after six months of hassle I went to Barclaycard who i paid with and the money was refunded within a week! If you bought on credit card you have a major lever.

I agree with Ted on this one.
Although I have a £19.99 digi box from Asda its great but if it packed up after 18 months,I would throw it away and get another one and wouldnt feel too impressed but not that upset either.

However I wouldnt buy a £200 + Unbranded TV from a supermarket.I appreciate all thats been said about the sale of goods act but you have got to live in the real world.
E.g I paid £500 for my 29" Sony CRT about 8-10 years ago now and its as good as the day I bought it (no repairs either).

I respect NWGarretts view but cannot say I agree with it.I am the buyer at work and believe me in MOST cases buy cheap unbranded its gonna fail!!

Regards

Steve

I still wish you luck though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom