Ascendo CCM6-P

Gilbers

I’ve just completed a trial of these speakers, courtesy of @The Sound Counsel , and given that I’ve found almost no information about them online I thought it may be worth posting my impressions. First of all though, I’d like to thank Dan and Nick for absolutely first-class service and advice - exactly the sort of retailers that you hope to find.

As far as the speakers are concerned - I really think these are something quite special, and I’m more than a little gutted that I couldn’t quite get them to work in my setup (more on that later). For anyone wondering, my benchmark for comparison includes M&K MP150s, which I trialled a couple of years ago, a set of KEF LS50 Meta that I could bring in from another room, and a modest set of EPOS ES11 that are something of a family heirloom. I’ve also spent time listening to some of the M&K and Steinway Lyngdorf systems at Gecko.

For me the Ascendos were easily in a different class to any of the other speakers I’ve had in my home, and I feel they even offer a little taste of the sort of really high-end stuff that I’ve heard at Gecko. Given that they are currently only £790 each that makes them a bit of a bargain in my view, and I can only imagine what the offerings higher up the Ascendo range can do!

What do they sound like? Well for a start, the soundstage they produce is absolutely immense - a real “wall of sound” experience, which is startling given the diminutive size of the speakers (only 88mm deep!). Imaging and detail extraction is also incredible. On certain familiar tracks I was for the first time able to hear that the vocalist was in a recording studio - the sound of the ‘room’ was quite obvious. The dynamics of these speakers also made listening to large orchestral works really exciting in a way I’ve never experienced at home before. Although I was unable to push them to their limits, they appeared able to go very loud indeed without any sense of strain whatsoever - this would appear to be backed up by Ascendos figures for sensitivity (93dB/w/m) and power handling (200w/300w peak).

So why am I not keeping them? As a proper satellite speaker they are designed to hand over to a quality sub for anything under 80hz. Unfortunately, I was just unable to get that crossover point to sound ‘correct’ using the equipment I have (Anthem MRX-310 with ARC Genesis and a single SVS SB3000). Based on readings produced by the quick-measure tool I think it’s possible my room has a partial null right around that 80hz cross-over point, but I’m by no means an expert on sub integration, so take that with a pinch of salt. In either case, with a heavy heart I’m going to have to look elsewhere for my next speaker upgrade, but hopefully my experience will be interesting to others who may be considering these relatively unknown little speakers.

D

Deleted member 901590

Interesting. If they really are that amazing, would you not consider the (by percentage of the speakers cost) addition of a MiniDSP and the support of experts on here to get that crossover right? But, also, that may also need the addition of another subwoofer o_O

Gilbers

I did consider it, but I don't have the budget or space for a second SB3000 at the moment. If I can get a dedicated room sorted at some point I will absolutely be giving Ascendos another try though.

D

Deleted member 901590

Sorry to ask a really stupid question - you'll never speak to me again - did you try setting the crossover higher? So that if there is a problem around 80Hz the sub EQ (either external or built in if it's a 3000 Pro) can deal with it.

Gilbers

Not a stupid question at all - I'm aware that I'm a complete novice compared to many on these forums, so any suggestions are welcome! I did try higher crossovers and also played around with the PEQ on the sub, but there was always this dip around 70-80hz that wouldn't move regardless of how I tried to boost it. The predicted curve in ARC was adamant that it could be corrected for, but quick-measure told a different story. Now I think of it perhaps I should have tried a lower crossover in the hope the Ascendos had more usable output below 80hz than I anticipated? I'm pretty certain that's not recommend though, and the speakers are packed up for collection so I can't really give it a try now.

D

Deleted member 901590

I guess the only point I was making is that whether you have those speakers or not makes no difference to the room issue. No matter what speakers or subwoofers you have, you'll still have the problem to fix. Good luck.
I assume you've tried the subwoofer in other positions too, or does that cause new problems?

Gilbers

Unfortunately, due to doors, a fireplace and the amount of furniture against walls I'm quite limited in where I can place the sub. I've been using a 60hz crossover with my other speakers, which may explain why I didn't notice the issue before, but they also have more placement options than either the sub or the on-wall Ascendos, so perhaps that helped too. I think my next step should be to get a UMIK and take some accurate measurements.

Gilbers

No pictures I’m afraid, but with the grills on they are very non-descript with no logo or other markings, essentially just a featureless black oblong (they are also available in white). The black ones have a matt finish - not sure about the white.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom