As the curtain draws closed

lovemunkey187

Prominent Member
Reaction score
What song(s) do you want playing before the curtain closes and your casket is sent to the furnaces below?

And please 3 choices only.

1)How Will I Laugh Tomorrow, When I Can't Even Smile Today - Suicidal Tendencies.
This song always makes it into my topten song list.

2)I Love Myself Today - Bif Naked
Generally just because.

3)Copacabana - Barry Manilow
You can't cry and shake your booty to disco at the same time.

Cremation for me :smashin: i don't want those worms sucking my eyes out:thumbsdow

1: it's getting hot in here- Nelly......just to give everyone a laugh.
2:halleluja-jeff buckley........my favourite song ever.
3:sinead o'connor-nothing compares to you.....for all the ladies that will be there.

Well personally I'd like to go down to AC/DC's Highway to Hell :devil:

But taking the possible feelings of surviving relatives into account, I'd probably go for the first three tracks off my favourite Van Morrison album - 'No Guru, No Method, No Teacher'

Got To Go Back
Oh The Warm Feeling
Foreign Window

Funny, I never though of them as funeral music until this thread :).

Muse - Citizen Erased

The one and only song i would want played.

ben folds five - "underground" (well ya gotta take the **** aintcha!)

The Pogues - Worms
...fading into...
Beethoven's 6th
...ending in...
Charlton Heston shouting
Solyent Green is People!

As my fate would be cremation in the oven, I thought I'd be turning into a kind of a biscuit, so thought I'd have a HMHB fest at my funeral ;)

The Light At The End Of The Tunnel - Half Man Half Biscuit
When The Evening Sun Goes Down - Half Man Half Biscuit
Dickie Davies Eyes - Half Man Half Biscuit

Wouldn't "The Continuous Cremation of Hattie Jacques" be more appropriate?

Wouldn't "The Continuous Cremation of Hattie Jacques" be more appropriate?
It would, but it's not one of my favourite tracks :D

Funerals are on my mind at the moment, as my Art Director is going to one next Friday: a dear, longstanding friend of her fella died this week from cancer.

I hear he's having a humanist funeral, though no mention was made of any music being played. That got me thinking: 'What music would I want played?' I decided it would have to be the Ave Maria from Rachmaninov's All-night Vigil - my all-time favourite complete classical work. It's so moving, so beautiful. I'm not conventionally religious - and certainly not orthodox Russian Christian! - but I'd still choose this piece.

If it's not too awful a thought to contemplate, what would you choose for your funeral?

NB: My deepest sympathies to anyone reading this who has lost someone recently. No offence is intended.

Old School is one of my favourite films and I found Will Ferrell's rendition of the old Kansas song "Dust In The Wind" quite moving and funny during Blue's burial service...

Not sure I'd choose it for mine, but can't think of anything else right now apart from Isaac Hayes' theme from Shaft or Ennio Morricone's "Ecstasy of Gold" from "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly."

From experience it is a deeply moving - and helpful experience - to choose music for a funeral. Perhaps something that always made them exclaim "Isn't that wonderful". For anyone attending a funeral it can make the service - of whatever kind - a very much more relevant and personal ceremony. As such I think it is a good idea to let people know what you would like.

For myself I would like the last of Mahlers 5 Ruckert Lieder (Ich bin der .....) to make the buggers cry followed by the duetta for trombone and double bass from Stravinskys Pulcinella suite to make them all smile.

As with shadowritten, many sympathies to anyone for whom this is not a hypothetical thing at the moment.

I always think that I could go one of two ways with my music. I could go for the meaningful and sentimental or, as is my choice, go for the theme music to 'Match Of The Day'. My wife thinks I'm nuts but I want my funeral to be a celebration of my life - hence the music choice - no black ties etc only football shirts to be worn with pride, whatever team you support.

That sounds flippant but I strongly believe that as and when it comes around I would be laughing in heaven (I hope) at the sight of all my dear friends and family standing in church / crematorium humming along to MoTD while I make my final journey. It seems appropriate for me.

The most amazing music I ever heard at a funeral was at one for a family friend who was from Ireland and had some relatives who were in a traditional Irish group - the whole service was highlighted by some wonderful laments on Uileann pipes, fiddles and voice - a single piper played as the coffin was laid to rest and it was very poignant - something along those lines would be the choice for my funeral ...
A close friend had his favourite song ("Everybody Hurts" by REM) played at his funeral & I always think of him when I hear the song - I'd love to think of a similar song for mine but somehow I cant see a Rory Gallagher track going down too well (maybe "I could've had religion" from Live in Europe would be appropriate in my case?)
Paul

I've never been sure about picking funeral music - it can ruin your own favourite song for those who attend which isn't what I'd like. :(

Having said that; Self Preservation Society from the Italian Job has been favoured funeral piece for a while now. :rolleyes:

Have to admit that I disagree with Abbeygoo and think that funerals work best when those attending do wear black. :)

I can do that :)

Threads merged.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom