As of Sunday, No More UKTV Channels

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by dante01, Jul 21, 2018.

1. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,249
    Virgin Media have until midnight to resolve a dispute with TV channel provider UKTV. As it stands, channels associated with UKTV will cease to be made available to Virgin Media Cable cutomers from Sunday 22 July:

From Sunday all UKTV channels and programming will be replaced on Virgin TV
    Channels affected are:
    Drama, Really, Yesterday, Home, Gold, W, Alibi, Dave, Eden and Good Food. This includes +1 and HD channels, as well as On Demand and TV Go content.

We are still in discussions with UKTV, but we have already invested in an extensive collection of much-loved programming which will be made available to you (depending on your bundle*).

This includes:

• Paramount Network with shows like Suits and Designated Survivor;
    • YourTV, a new channel which is home to Castle, Bones and Body of Proof;
    • Love Nature which is exclusive to Virgin TV and has some stunning nature programmes such as Africa’s Wildest Horizons and Great Wild Blue;
    • IQTV, which contains some of best quiz shows like Mastermind and The Weakest Link;
    • Numerous new box sets such as Shades of Blue, Supergirl and Madam Secretary.
    We will also be making the Premier Sports HD channel available to all TV customers initially for two months with no additional subscription required. This will mean you can enjoy all of the football matches from the International Champions Cup, which features the best six teams in the English Premier League and many of the top European teams. This weekend both Manchester City and Liverpool will face Dortmund and Bayern Munich will take on Paris Saint-Germain. Alongside the football many other gripping sporting events are available on Premier Sports – from every Pro 14 Rugby game to NHL ice hockey matches.

That’s not all! Some of our existing channels, such as Lifetime and True Entertainment which hosts programmes such as Murder, She Wrote, The Persuaders and The New Avengers will also made available to more of our TV customers at no extra cost.

You can read more about our new channels here New Channels - Virgin Media Community

On top of this we continue to expand our range of on-demand and 4K Ultra HD programming, with plans to launch more this year.
    Virgin Media has had a long relationship with UKTV, but viewing behaviours among our customers are changing and we are committed to investing in the kind of programming you want to watch, whenever and however you want to watch it.

Unfortunately, due to the restrictions put on UKTV by the BBC, UKTV is not able to provide the significant on-demand programming that we know our customers want.

For a full list of affected channels, and how to continue watching them click here

UKTV Channels - Virgin Media Community

A message from UKTV to Virgin Media customers

A message from UKTV to Virgin Media customers | News | UKTV Corporate Site

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  2. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Really a bad move on Virgins part here. The substitution with a variety of American rubbish, Sport (which I don't wish to pay for) and Polyfilla channels is not acceptable in my opinion. I'll be giving it a while to see if this is a short term issue which will be resolved, failing that I will be looking at a cheaper and reduced package from VM or leaving them altogether.

The trouble with changing packages is that they switch names fairly frequently so the package you signed up for no longer exists. Currently they are 'Player', 'Mix' and 'Full House' which I suspect only recent subscribers are signed to. Apparently I'm with 'Fun' which was certainly not my original option (M+). Messing around with loyal customers is not going to do Virgin Media any good.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  3. KiLLiNG-TiME

KiLLiNG-TiME

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,752
    Well this sucks ...especially as some of these channels we are losing are free view channels, disappointed in both sides that they couldn't reach an agreement for there customers.

4. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,919
    Ugh that means using FreeView.

As a 1st day user of Virgin I couldn't be happier, but reading this I don't see as a Sky Vs Discovery situation. Discovery was far too big and broke to walk away from that deal.

I'm not sure UKTV is so bothered since their bread butter is FreeView and Virgin I dont think care enough to pay more.

5. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,249
    UKTV has no option but to walk away. They are owned by the BBC and the BBC sell the rights to a lot of their content overseas without it effecting their license fee revenue. THis is the only way in which the BBC are alloweed to make money or a profit. Do you really think that the BBC would sanction UKTV negotiating the rights to content so that Virgin can then offer it up on demand for gratis? UKTV haven't actually increased the amount that they were previously getting from Virgin and the arguement revolves around Virgin wanting the rights to air on demand content.

Why the hell would UKTV shoot itself and the BBC in the foot? Virgin Media is asking for something that UKTV doesn't even have the rights to give.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  6. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    I'm thinking that advertisers on the UK TV channels might not see it that way since they will be losing a chunk of their target market.

7. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,249
    REgardless, UKTV do not have the right to give Virgin Media the rights to air the on demand content Virgin want. These rights belong to the BBC and they don't awrd those rights to anyone else. Why would the BBC make an exception to Virgin and destroy their existing oversees sales to streaming services such as Netflix? Add to this the fact that Virgin want to pay UKTV less than they were paying them previously.

It isn't UKTV's fault that Virgin is desperately trying to reinvent itself and compete with the like of Netflix due to the decline in sales of paid TV subscriptions and the increase in viewers using streaming services instead. If they want to compete then simply reduce their subscription rate and stop fleecing customers by charging them for channels they never watch. The channels they've replaced the UKTV channels with illustrates this. Virgin are still fixated with quantity over quality.

8. Spike_UK

Spike_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    My mum rang virgin today and got herself a better deal. The rep said uktv pulled the channels without giving virgin any notice, which is why the replacement channels are lacklustre.
    He also said that they expect the situation to be resolved by friday.

9. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,916
    It is worth knowing that Virgin Media was bought by Liberty Media a few years ago, a large US cable TV company notorious for squeezing the last drop out of anything.

10. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,249
    It isn't of that much mportance, but Virgin knew full well when their current deal expired and when they;s need to renew it by in order for the channels to still be available to their customers. If this was indeed a surprise to Virgin then this would in fact suggest that Virgin are even more incompetent than they actually are.

It may indeed be resolved at some point, but I'd not place money on it being by Friday????

11. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,249
    I'd not lay blame with Liberty Global who are currently seeking to sell off all their European assets includinf Virgin Media. Virgin Media have a long standing reputation for screwing up when it comes to negotiations without relying upon Libery Global for help.

12. ufitsy

ufitsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +354
    Thanks for that, they just knocked £10 a month off for 6 months then £7a month thereafter.

13. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,919
    Well thats me told.

14. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,249
  15. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,249
    ITV Channels update
    ITV Channels update - Virgin Media Community

Great, but maybe someone should explain to Virgin Media that if they don't come up with a resolve that satifies both parties then they don't get to decide whether they remove the channels or not. The channels belong to ITV and ITV will insist they remove them and not allow Virgin's customers to access them.

Virgin appear to be delusional????

16. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,919
    Short sighted maybe

IF the bit in the article about streaming is having an effect on whether Virgin (or anyone else with time) is having on what they want to pay for some channels FTA non premium channels is actually from them, then they are stupid. I’m not it is as it a very generic thought ATM.

But if that is the case.

Why should/would people pay them a lot of money each month to have FTA channels missing and those catch up/streaming apps on the TV anyway without paying for them just to have have them on a cable box?!

However, I’m not convinced these kind of situations are something new or special. I think it’s just a hot topic right now and stuff is being reported/leaked more.

The difference here is neither the BBC for UKTV or ITV will back down easily since neither Sky or Virgin are a huge threat to their income when the majority still use Free view and many of those I’m sure will never ever want Sky or Virgin, especially since of since we are all using apps on the TV not Sky or Virgin to watch their programs!

17. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,249
    ITV and Virgin Media sign new 3-year-deal to save channels from being dropped, meaning Love Island fans WON’T miss the final

"ITV has signed a three-year deal with Virgin Media so that customers can continue to watch hit shows through the paid-for service.

Millions of telly fans can breath a sigh of relief after the year-long dispute between the two firms is settled in time for the final of hit ITV2 show Love Island on Monday.

Love Island fans will be able to catch the final because ITV has settled a dispute with Virgin Media

The two firms fell out over demands from ITV that Virgin Media pay a re-transmission fee to air its catch up ITV1 channel.

They argued that the telly provider should pay an additional cost to air the ITV channel twice, an hour in delay.

Virgin Media subscribers will be able to watch all ITV channels live and on demand under the new deal.

They have also agreed to increase advertising and marketing of ITV programmes."

ITV and Virgin Media sign new 3-year-deal to save channels from being dropped, meaning Love Island fans WON'T miss the final

18. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,249
    UPDATE on UKTV Channels:

It is being reported that some customers are being told that Virgin are on the brink of closing a deal with UKTV that will result in some of the channels being reinstated. The chances of all of them being made available to Virgin customers is slim though and the channels coming back are more than likely going to be just the Freeview channels such as Dave?

19. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,919
    I’d be happy with having just Dave. I guess it we should be demanding more, but, Dave and the rest of the Freeview is enough for me not to kick off.

20. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,249

It isn't a certainty that the Freeview channels will be returning, It is just what some customers are being told by Virgin. UKTV don't appear to be posting a similar opinion on their site or on their Twitter page so it could just be Virgin trying to get customers to stay? They appear to be saying this while also awarding those customers quite substantial discounts. I'm wandering as to whether or not those discounts tie those cutomers to a VM contract? Anyway, I'd imagine that trading standards would want to look into it if the freeview channels don't materialise and those customers end up being contractually obligated to Virgin? It could be deemed as being a case of misselling.

21. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,249
    No Deal On The Horizon In UKTV & Virgin Media Carriage Dispute

By Patrick Munn | August 3, 2018 - 7:07 pm

A resolution to the carriage dispute which saw all ten of UKTV’s channel brands removed from the Virgin Media platform on July 22nd does not appear to be on the horizon.

After multiple volleys on social media from both sides over the past week or so, the two companies had re-engaged in talks in hopes of finding a solution. But now UKTV claims that, when a deal was in sight, Virgin Media backed out of a verbal agreement.

Virgin did not go so far as to dispute UKTV’s version of events, but told TVWise that they “won’t negotiate in public and our door remains open.” I hear that Virgin’s previous position remains unchanged and they are prepared to restore the FTA channels immediately while commercial discussions over the pay channels

For those not following along, the dispute can be boiled down to two key point. Firstly, Virgin Media wants VOD rights to BBC shows that air on a repeat window on UKTV’s channels – something UKTV is unable to do as those rights are controlled not by them but by BBC Studios. The other issue is that, alongside that, Virgin is asking for a cut in the fees they pay UKTV for their suite of channels. UKTV says that they have supplied thousands of hours of on demand programming to the platform and offered to increase volume under a new agreement. The broadcaster also points out that their channels are hugely popular with Virgin’s customers. Virgin counters that while UKTV’s FTA channels perform well, the pay channels audience share has dropped. Virgin Media had made the case that UKTV should at least offer their FTA channels for free. UKTV countered that they will not do so as Virgin does not offer a free package and as such would make money off of UKTV content while not paying for it.

Here is UKTV’s full statement accusing Virgin Media of withdrawing from their verbal agreement:

“After holding talks to create a resolution for our viewers, Virgin Media backed out of a new deal we verbally agreed yesterday. Sadly, we can’t, at the current time, see an end date for an agreement to be reached that pays UKTV a fair price for our ongoing services to their business”, a UKTV representative said in a statement. “We are sincerely sorry to all of our viewers who have been affected by this. We’ve really learned over the past two weeks just how much our channels mean to people, and we are overwhelmed by your support. We have tried to be as helpful as possible to our channels’ fans during this time of disruption. However, in line with guidance from OFCOM, we would advise that customers who have concerns with their television service contact their provider in the first instance.”

https://www.tvwise.co.uk/2018/08/no-deal-on-the-horizon-in-uktv-virgin-media-carriage-dispute/

22. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,249
    As an additional note of interest, this whole affair appears to have thrown Virgin Media's customer services into mayhem. Their are reports of long waits if wanting to phone them and even instances of customers having the conversation cut short when they enquire about terminating their contracts because of the loss of the UKTV channels. Virgin's webchat is also out of service due to the increased demands being put upon Virgin's staff as a result of the debacle.

23. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,249
    UPDATE

Virgin Media and UKTV have finally resolved their differences come to an agreement. The UKTV channels will now be returning to Virgin Media.

snapshot002.jpg

Official UKTV on Twitter

All UKTV Channels are coming back

Good News! You can now enjoy all UKTV channels and loads more.

A big UKTV fan? Well, we’ve got great news for you.

All of your favourite UKTV channels are coming back to your Virgin TV service over the next few days.

So you can go back to enjoying programming from the likes of Dave, Gold, Alibi and Yesterday. These channels include UKTV originals such as Taskmaster, Judge Romesh, and Emma Willis: Delivering Babies, premiere US acquisitions like Quantico, Harrow and Carter, and the very best of the archive from BBC, ITV, C4 and more.

And that’s not all.

HD programmes are coming your way too, with Dave HD and Gold HD added to the Virgin Media’s Mix bundle and above.

We’re also increasing our on-demand programming by more than five times, including more hours of catch-up and significantly more boxsets for Virgin Media’s Full House bundle customers.

All this awesome stuff will be on the Virgin TV Go app as well, so you can enjoy it anywhere, anytime.

On top of all of this, all the channels we added in place of the UKTV channels such as YourTV, True Entertainment and the Paramount Network, will be staying on, so you get even more included in your package now.

We understand that this must’ve been quite frustrating for you and we’re really sorry. But now UKTV isn’t only back, it’s now bigger and better than ever.

Happy watching!

All UKTV Channels are coming back - Virgin Media Community

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  24. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,249
    Furthermore, here's Virgin Media's official press release on the return of the UKTV channels:

UKTV channels return to Virgin TV

UKTV Banners_600px x 350px.jpg

• Dave HD and Gold HD channels come to Virgin TV Mix customers for the first time
    • More than five times the amount of on-demand programming than before
    Virgin Media and UKTV have reached a long term agreement which will restore all of UKTV’s channels and services to Virgin TV. These will return as soon as possible starting immediately.

Virgin TV customers can now once again enjoy programming from the likes of Dave, Gold, Alibi and Yesterday. These channels include UKTV originals such as Taskmaster, Judge Romesh, and Emma Willis: Delivering Babies, premiere US acquisitions like Quantico, Harrow and Carter, and the very best of the archive from BBC, ITV, C4 and more.

This follows recent discussions and brings benefits to both companies through an expanded selection of channels and programming and a commitment to working closely to promote UKTV channels on the Virgin TV platform.

UKTV will provide High Definition (HD) programming to more Virgin TV customers than ever before. The Dave HD and Gold HD channels will be added to Virgin Media’s Mix bundle and above.

The new agreement will also see more than five times the amount of on-demand programming available on Virgin TV, including more catch-up hours and significantly more boxsets for Virgin TV Full House customers. This means customers can watch even more of the best UKTV programming whenever they want to.

UKTV’s programming on Virgin TV Go will also return so customers can watch programmes out of the home and on the move.

David Bouchier, Chief Digital Entertainment Officer at Virgin Media said: “Reaching this agreement reaffirms our longstanding partnership with UKTV and is fantastic news for our customers.

“They can enjoy channels like Dave and Gold once again, including in HD, and also get more UKTV on-demand programming than ever before. On top of this, the channels we’ve recently added to Virgin TV will remain.

“We are sorry for what we know has been a frustrating time for our customers, but are pleased that our TV bundles are now even bigger. Our unwavering commitment to investing in incredible programming remains.”

Simon Michaelides, Chief Commercial Officer, UKTV, said: “Viewers are at the heart of UKTV and we want to thank them for all of their support. We know this has created real disruption for some of our viewers and we’re so sorry for this, but we are thrilled to be back, broadcasting our channels and shows to customers of Virgin Media once more. “

UKTV channels return to Virgin TV

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  25. Bornin1980s

Bornin1980s
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Great to have them back, but would I still get Freesports? You see, I like Gold, but I prefer Monster Jam!

26. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,249
    You should still get Freesports, but it will move to channel 553 and channel 130 will be realocated for use by the Alibi +1 channel.