• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

As of now...best 4k tv for the money

Woodywizz

Distinguished Member
I'm looking at 4k tvs......so, which one's would you get as of now. Hit me up..... :)

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
What size you after? If I was gonna buy one now I'd probably get the Samsung 65" HU9000.

Ratcliffe83

Banned
Just been out and ordered a 55 UH8500 (9000)

Samsung flagship and cost me £2500 with a touch of haggling at Currys :) Joys of managers discount discretion :)

MAX1210

You can get the Panasonic 65WT600 for less than £3499 now as Panasonic have re-positioned the price.

saarnold

Hi MAX1210,
bit of a dilemma mate - ZT or wait for the new AX802 4K, or any of the new 4K models that are now being released ( good feed back on the samsung 8500 over the last 2 days from buyers )?
PQ is the most important factor for me.
Cheers
saarnold

MAX1210

I would go for a ZT whilst you can if you can live with some of the much written about drawbacks - fan noise, judder on low frame rate material etc

saarnold

Cheers Max,
i have fan noise on my 50"VT65 which i can hear with low volume and its not a problem for me - one last concern - in reviews of the ZT it talks about dithering, which i had on my VT50 in certain picture modes, but once calibrated by Steve it is not visible on the Pro 1&2 modes - is this the same with the ZT or does it depend on each individual panel - when it was visible i could see it on certain material from 8 feet away on a 50"VT50, so i am worried that it would be even more noticeable on a 60" especially if it can't be calibrated out.
All other plasma traits i can live, with as i have had the VT30,VT50,VT65 (still have the VT65&50) and the PQ far outweigh the negatives ( unless its a faulty panel of cause!)
Thanks for your help
saarnold

MAX1210

Cheers Max,
i have fan noise on my 50"VT65 which i can hear with low volume and its not a problem for me - one last concern - in reviews of the ZT it talks about dithering, which i had on my VT50 in certain picture modes, but once calibrated by Steve it is not visible on the Pro 1&2 modes - is this the same with the ZT or does it depend on each individual panel - when it was visible i could see it on certain material from 8 feet away on a 50"VT50, so i am worried that it would be even more noticeable on a 60" especially if it can't be calibrated out.
All other plasma traits i can live, with as i have had the VT30,VT50,VT65 (still have the VT65&50) and the PQ far outweigh the negatives ( unless its a faulty panel of cause!)
Thanks for your help
saarnold

To be honest with you, I've never seen a professionally calibrated Panasonic
Plasma!! :eek: It's not a service our store offers (although I have asked if I could do the course) and I don't go to "the shows" You'd be better off getting in contact with ******** Steve, who so far seems to be happy with his upgrade from a 55" VT65 to a 60ZT65, or another calibrator.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
I wouldn't buy a ZT65 not with everything else that's coming out and 4k taking off , had it with plasma myself I can't stand the DFC and line bleed and worry about IR (and don't say it's not an issue cos it is). If you bought the ZT65 you'd forever be wondering what 4k was like, it would bug the hell out of me that knowing I can't watch 4k Netflix etc , Samsung curved 4k for me next if nothing else looks like a better proposition over the next few months, that 65" curved Samsung HU8500 looks stunning :)

eskdale

Novice Member
I took delivery couple of days ago of a 65 inch curved screen Samsung UE65HU8500 - Beautiful picture and lots of features - The smart remote makes a difference in usability. Depends what screen size you are looking for but personally wouldn't want to go smaller than 65 with 4K.
Jon

MAX1210

Until 4KBD is here with a decent selection of titles and Sky or Virgin are transmitting 4K sports and documentaries (so a year to 2 years away) I still maintain that a VT or ZT would be a better bet for a few years.

eskdale

Novice Member
Hi MAX1210 - To some extent I would agree with you - If you only are watching video it is certainly better value for money to purchase a lower resolution TV, but one of the reasons I went for the 4K was I wanted to use it for still photographs as well. The other was I don't intend changing it again for at least 5 yrs my previous one was 7 -8 yrs old. Although the picture quality is excellent and even with dual pictures you still have full HD on both. Jon

HugoFJH

Until 4KBD is here with a decent selection of titles and Sky or Virgin are transmitting 4K sports and documentaries (so a year to 2 years away) I still maintain that a VT or ZT would be a better bet for a few years.
Problem with this idea is how many on here would want to wait the year or two until there is a "proper" 4k service, and if they spend their money now (most Im guessing) will want that new tv to last 3 ,4 or 5 years.

MAX1210

Problem with this idea is how many on here would want to wait the year or two until there is a "proper" 4k service, and if they spend their money now (most Im guessing) will want that new tv to last 3 ,4 or 5 years.

Lol! Most of the members on here get through tv's like there's no tomorrow :D they can't help themselves, if its not because of "faults" (puts tin hat on) then its because "the price was so cheap it would be rude not too" or they just have to have the next new thing.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I was in Curry's today and have not looked at tv's for a long time, I was blown away by the Sony 65" 4k tv:D. The colours are fabulous with their Triluminos display's but did not like the speakers down the L & R side of the panel:nono:. I want a 65" and 4k with triluminos for my next tv so how long before something comes out with more discrete speakers (I will use mine with my 7.1 sound system) and £2.5k or less.

Will we see it this year when hopefully some sort of 4k material will be out to display on these sets. When I was in curry earlier I looked at the OLED more or less next to it (a 50") and whilst the blacks were nice the 65" Sony 4k picture just looked knockout.:clap: really sharp and decent motion, excellent blacks obviously not OLED good but still excellent and stunning colours, is all this due to the triluminos display.

Artavash

Standard Member
...65" Sony 4k picture just looked knockout.:clap: really sharp and decent motion, excellent blacks obviously not OLED good but still excellent and stunning colours, is all this due to the triluminos display.

I agree with you, but I am willing to bet the display that was being shown on the 4k set was a native 4k demo. The problem with these sets at the moment is content and standardisation. The 4k demos are essentially flypaper. The OLEDS are the technology for now - but the cost is high. There is a certain amount of risk with taking a 4k set right now if you have no content for it. Perhaps in 6 months with the likes of Netflix there may be more reason to buy a set, but that could be 25% or 33% of the lifetime of the set for some people on here. We really are geek corner :cool:

kbfern

Distinguished Member
It was a native 4k demo, the one with the footie and overhead views of towns/buildings etc. I agree it is still all in a state of flux with standards and with no definite broadcast or disc based native 4k content yet announced it is not a good time to be buying a set although the temptations is there when you see those gorgeous images in the store on demo.:)

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Yes Graham I was aware of the Netflix streaming and do have a 60meg broadband service, however I don't see 4k streaming being any better than current 1080p bluray quality. We will need a broadcast service and some sort of disc or server based option to get 4k at it's full potential and who knows when that will be.:rolleyes:

Ratcliffe83

Banned
Kbfern....you are wrong in respect of streaming 4K...FACT

kbfern

Distinguished Member
So you are saying that 4k streaming is much better than 1080p bluray? I can't see that myself do you have the facts to back it up.......

Muckypaws

Standard Member
I've got the Samsung 55 9000 4k, and love it. Its the first LED that has real blacks since I moved away from Pioneer Kuro plasma. Upscaling on it is just amazing. I changed the smart tv to US DNS to see if I could stream House of Cards 4K but didnt see it offered yet. This is where we find out H265 isnt supported on the Sammy until they release another upgrade card :mad:S

BingoBongo275

I'm in the same boat and typically only look to get a new tv every 5-6 years so am looking at 4K and 65". I was in Currys yesterday and using the same 1080p material (on USB stick admittedly) and though initially more interested in the Sammy, was probably more impressed by the Sony(although like a few others don't like the speakers on the L and R). To me the LG came out 3rd (of three) and have not seen the Panny yet.

Not sure if the 'problem' was down to the clips coming via the USB (the LG guy there said all of them process 'better' via the HDMI) but the sammy looked very over-processed to the point where some distant object looked almost like a 'Posterize' filter has been used. I'm going back when the Samsung guy is there and going to check out 1080p footage via the HDMI and then maybe tweak the setting a bit.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom