1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

As much a monitor as a TV (17 ins question)

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by MrMorgasaurus, Oct 26, 2004.

1. MrMorgasaurus

MrMorgasaurus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I'm looking for a 17-20" tele/monitor.

It needs to be good at both. Its likely to get a lot of use as a PC monitor as well as for gaming use (XBox, PS2 etc. - via RGB scart) Watching a TV signal is likely to be its least used function.

I'm looking at spending up to 400 on one.

This Kiss Model caught my eye:

http://www.kiss-technology.com/?p=coolview3&v=company

as its only £270 inc. vat. It looks like its got a nice res and all the things I need.

Thing is I am a little concerned over its refresh rate. I have yet to see an LCD be used for gaming purposes and I'm more than a little wary of any screen blur.

If anyone has any opinions or reccomendations I'd be most interested to hear them. Budget is approx 250-400. Aspect ratio not really an issue. Component in/prog scan would be nice.

Thanks in advance,

MrMorgasaurus

2. McGraw

McGraw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Screen blur is a funny thing really. I'll give you my findings.

I have an unbranded (Mitac after much investigation) 17" Monitor which is about 2 years old and was bought as a present. It's native resolution is 1280x1024 which is perfect for me.

From what I can remember, it's response time is 50ms which by all accounts is awful for gaming.

Now in it's native resolution I notice no screen blur at all and the quality is fantastic. I used to run a CRT monitor so can compare directly. When you downscale though, it's a different kettle of fish. If you try and play games in 800x600 for example the blur is horrific. I am fortunate in that my lowly 1.4Ghz Athlon and 64mb Geforce 3 just about run the latest games acceptably at it's native resolution.

So as long as you play in native resolution, it should be fine.

3. MrMorgasaurus

MrMorgasaurus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm.... thanks for your impressions McGraw.

From wht I have read below 20ms is recommended for gaming, and I see the newer dedicated TFTs are around 16ms these days, but response times for Monitor/TV's appear to be around the 20-25 mark.

Whats worse is I cannot find info on the response time for the kiss I mentioned in my original post anywhere.

:(

4. EpsomJames

EpsomJames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Response rate is critical if used for gaming. I have a DELL 2001FP (16ms) which is absolutely superb for gaming, if you can stretch your budget a bit. It's not so good as a TV with greyish blacks, but my experience with LCD TVs is limited so I don't know how it compares.

It has DVI, VGA, S-Video and composite connections and a native 1600x1200 which means it would make a 4:3 TV. It also does PIP so you can watch TV in a corner while using the computer.

5. MrMorgasaurus

MrMorgasaurus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Epsom. Thats pretty close to fulfilling my requirements right there. In fact if it had an RGB SCART input we'd be pretty much done and dusted. Alas I don't want to have to buy new cables for all my consoles and getting hold of composite outputs for Uk region consoles could be tricky....