1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ARV200 Bi-Amp A85

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by TorienD, Sep 21, 2004.

1. TorienD

TorienD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

My question is how best to connect the AVR200 and A85 for Stereo and surround sound, do you bi-amp, connect the fronts to the A85 and cnetre/rears to the AVR200, how do you then interconnect the 2 as not to have to change the pre/power input on the A85 when listening in stereo? Also I have a DVD/Playstation/Computer/Sat that I want to connect, there seems to be only 3 digital connections, what is the AUX input(the connector isn't a coax), so what is it and can I then use it for my soundcard, what cable would I need?

sorry for all the questions....need help.....

Thank you in advance and forgive my ignorance.... :(

2. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Aux and Tape inputs are optical connections. I assume that when the AVR200 was designed they thought that coaxial digital was going to be the norm, unfortunately it isn't. I only have two optical sources: X-box (Tape input) and Sky+ (Aux input) and a coaxial for the DVD player. I would have liked to have been able to connect the Sat input to my Sky+, but it's not that important. If you run out of optical inputs, there was a link around here for a converter (coaxial to optical and vice-versa).

3. parrydave

parrydave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an AVR300 and A85 hooked up together for stereo and AV. I think this what you are after.

I have my front speakers driven by the A85 and all others by AVR300. I have interconnects from the AVR300 front L/R pre-outs to the tape inputs on the back of the A85.

You can select via the A85 menu to use "Processor Mode". SO then when you select the TAPE input on A85, it actually switches to Processor Mode (displays "Proc Fixed") and lets you set a fixed volume level (again from the menu system). Set it high (mines around "65"). Unfortunately, I don't think this is documented in the A85 manual and I can't quite remember where you need to look in menu.

So with the A85 set to Proc Mode (i.e tape i/p selected) you then set the levels of all 5 (or 7) speakers via the AVR200. Adjust the front L/R so they are same volume as others in AV.

All done.

So listening to stereo, use A85 as normal. CD interconnects to A85. For movies, turn on AVR200, select "TAPE" on A85 and off you go. The AV "master" volume is controlled from AVR, when in Proc mode, the A85 volume cannot be changed from you set level.

A lot easier than fiddling arround the back to keep switch the pre/power thingy on A85!

Hoe this helps
    good luck