1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Artsworld

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Stephen Neal, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Interesting that in this month's Sky Guide magazine they mention that Artsworld will cease to be a stand-alone premium channel in September, and will become part of the Family pack.

This may well re-inforce the possibility of Artsworld launching in HD when Sky HD starts? It would have been difficult to have offered it in HD if it were a premium, optional, service like Film Four, but as a basic channel this ceases to be a problem I guess.

AIUI Artsworld is now a Sky operated channel (it was initially an independent) - so they can make such a decision.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    SKY bought a 50% stake in the company a while back and this year bought the channel outright, from what I have read the existence of BBC4 hurt Artsworld so inclusion in the basic package will bring in some cash and be used for marketing to convince subscribers we are getting more for our money:)

I would be very surprised if it's not in the intial HD lineup since the license was granted a couple of months ago and of course any costs will be inhouse unlike the Discovery offering (which also got a license) which if it comes to pass will probably bewithin a SKY package and require a cut of subscription revenue.

3. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    A hulluva lot of arts material has been shot in HD for umpteen years - so it would be welcome in this house to be able to see such stuff in HD. I tried Artsworld once before but it needs to get rid of the talking heads shows and concentrate on music (opera, ballet, dance etc). Artsworld HD would be a waste of bandwidth showing 2 bods in studio discussing someone's latest brick collection at the Tate.

Wonder if Artsworld HD would run a diffent service from SD channel - or just be a simulcast?

H

4. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    I suspect that the SD version will become a simulcast of the HD one - though not all material may be in HD. I doubt they will schedule two separate services unless they have a lot of SD material they want to broadcast, and need to balance schedule variety with HD content percentage. With the large amount of HD arts programming available this may not be the case.

You are dead right about arts coverage being a major consumer of HD. Music and arts programming has been a force for HD production over the years - with DVD/LaserDisc quality as part of the drive for this, as well as Japanese and American co-production, and archival far-sightedness on the part of producers. (Record historical performances in the highest quality visual quality as well as sound quality so that they remain viable for sale in the future!)

The BBC's first HD OB unit was specifically designed for music and arts coverage - and covers the Proms, Covent Garden etc., and prior to owning a unit of their own the Beeb rented in for a number of years, and also did experimental coverage in HD of these types of events.

5. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yes I had laserdisc way back when - and thought that was the bee's knees! With the announcement of Artsworld HD and also Nation Geographic HD - I can see my new telly being very busy.

Having just bought an upscaling DVD player (connected with component leads) I am enjoying all my favourite DVDs in better quality than I thought possible. I have the unit set to 720p (couldn't see much difference set at 1080i) - Michael Palin and Maggie Smith looked superb in "A private function".

I'll have to be without the new set this week as I'm working in Serbia (Belgrade) tomorrow until Friday - i'll check out their "TV times" to see where they are in HD scheme of things! At least Sky+ will have "Lost", "The Shield" and "Without a trace" ready for my return....

H

6. Branko

Branko
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What equipment are you using?