Artsworld HD granted broadcast licence

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by RecordablDVDfan, Jun 16, 2005.

1. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Ofcom has granted a broadcast licence to Sky for a high-definition version of Artsworld.

No pricing details are available as yet, although a report on the DS forums indicates that the high definition channel will launch in the Autumn. The standard definition Artsworld channel costs £6 per month and broadcasts from 14:00 to 00:00 daily on channel 157

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds21853.html

The shape of things to come ? ie BBC 1 HD, ITV HD...

2. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool.

A channel that nobody watches in standard definition will be available in high definition.

At least if obscure channels like Artsworld are going HD, theres a chance that a lot of main channels will be available at the launch.

I see that Sky Sports HD and Discovery Theatre HD have been granted licences by ofcom.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Not sure about Artsworld, content overlap with some of the stuff on HD1 I would have thought but if it's bundled into a single package no problem but I can see myself paying for it if it's standalone.

Discovery Theatre HD has some stunnign stuff on, watched Alien Planet last weekend and it was one of the most intersting and enjoyable programs/documentaries I've seen in a long time and of course looked stunning.
    The Star Wars specials they had a while back were also mind bogglingly good and some of the clips of the recent trilogy made you want to weep in gratitude to Lucas (well putting aside the script and some wooden acting of course).
    :)

4. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    The BBC has to have HD next year, so many wildlife progs would look stunning in HD