1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Artison Plasma Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by braehead, Aug 31, 2004.

1. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: Still looking at plasmas and speaker options when I saw the offering from Artison today. Went into my local hi-fi shop to chat over my tv / speaker options with them (already bought my amp there - Denon 3805) and the got me to demo a Pioneer 434 with these extra speakers by Artison. I have to say I was well impressed. They are a LCR set up without a sep centre. They are sized to match your screen and they attach to the sides so you get a great clean look with no clutter. Music is more important to me than movies and with a good sub these sounded the muts nuts. Better than the Monitor Audio and B&W options I'd auditioned before. Yes, they are expensive, but they are so much easier to cable etc.

I would be really interested to hear from anyone else that has auditioned them or read reviews of them as I'm really close to doing the deal. Probably go for the Panasonic Viera rather than the Pioneer though - seems just as good but for quite a bit less cash and I'm not wall mounting so don't need to worry about the depth of it!

2. Marmite

Marmite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Got any links? These sound quite interesting.

3. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    www.artisonusa.com - there is a good review on the site with four other comparable speakers too. The best thing in my view was the elimination of the centre speaker. I can't remember what sub we used yesterday but with both movies and music they sounded really good. Unfotunately I wasn't quite so impressed with the plasma! I found a good price on the following link http://www.hificables.co.uk/brandlist/mcs/brand/Artison/ - this was better than I was quoted in the hi-fi shop yesterday. :thumbsup:

4. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

Guy's, If you are interested in a demo, we also have them and three different plasma's to look at.

After running the Artison speakers in, I played with them with music and movies and I would agree they are incredible to listen to, especially with music. This is due to the quality of the drivers, they are very high quality, the tweeters are custom modified Vifa units but I'm not too sure what the midbass drivers are but again they are high quality woven kevlar units. We have ours hooked up to a Myryad Pre/power amp which is providing 150 watts RMS, I'm astonished how they sound bearing in mind the mids are 5.25". Try The last 45 mins of Saving Private Ryan or even more impressive the last 45 mins of Open Range!!! But they really shine with female vocals like Norah Jones and Morcheeba.

Give me a call if you are interested, as I'm sure we can do something.

5. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the note. Do you / would you ship to Scotland?

My main thing at the moment is do I go for a plasma or wait for a new model DLP like the Samsungs that are about to come out. The PDP434 with the Artisons looks and sounds fantastic but I'm just not convinced about the picture quality on normal tv (can't get sky in my building as I'm not allowed a dish, telewest is in the area but not the digital service). I've demo'd the SIM2 Domino45 and liked it a lot - just not the price. I'm not going to wall mount and that (to me) seems like one of the biggest benefits of a plasma. I'm looking at the Quadraspire rack with the glass doors to keep sticky fingers out (do you have an alternative?).

I'm looking at a new TV, rack, speakers and possibly dvd player. I've got the amp already - Denon 3805 and I'm very happy with it for stereo (need the extra speakers). It's a lot of cash to spend and I want to get it right!! :confused:

6. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another thought. What do you think of the Artisons compared with the Blueroom Cinepods you've got? Music for me is going to be more important than movies (sorry!).

7. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

Yes we can certainly send to Scotland.

The only thing i would be wary of having a Projector as your main viewing aid as opposed to a plasma, is the impracticality of the screen and taking it up and down for viewing, or unsightliness of keeping down . The there is the impracticality of letting the projector warm up when all you want to do is come in and switch on, and there's the picture when you want to watch Eastenders etc... Then there is the scare factor of watching the news and the news reader is bigger then you!!! Only examples but you get what I mean. Also Terrestrial TV may not look so good through a projector either as the picture is made so big, you will pick out any picture quality issues very easily as the picture is stretched.

As far as the Artisons and Blueroom compare, all I can say is that the Blue room speakers sound good and look very funky, although hardly discrete. Where as the Artisons have been made for quality and are far superior for music. The obvious difference is that for the cost of the Ariston pair of speakers, although three are accounted for, you can get the whole Cinepod package but I personally would have the Aristons and use another pair of speakers for the rears and either save for another pair of Aristons or other rears.

I hope this helps.

8. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was a rear projector DLP I was thinking about though! I've not auditioned the cinepods. The do require more complicated cable work if I wall mount them but they do look really good if that's your bag. I really do like the neatness of the plasma with the Artisons and I would use my current floorstanders as my rears. Job done. I've seen the new Pioneer 435 model advertised by one of the forum sponsors at £3600 on pre-order and that looks like a better deal than £3300 for the old 434 model.

9. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

Be wary of the 435 as the picture mighjt not be as good as the 434!!! We've heard wispers that they have ruined it. Although we're a Pioneer dealer, we are waiting to see it before we get it in and are thinking of backing someone else instead if it is notibly worse then the 434.

I will PM you something you might be interested in.