1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Artifacts on Acer at3201w

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by varez, Aug 2, 2005.

1. varez

varez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the Acer at3201w from dabs.com a week ago - at £779 obviously a bargain.
    The screen looks extremely nice (especially without the speakers), and the sound it good too. However, I was quite disappointed with the picture quality. Since it’s my first lcd of this size, I’d wondering if I simply had too high expectations or if the tv could be faulty.

First of all the quality from my freeview box is terrible. It is extremely pixilated and everything looks distorted – much worse than the analogue signal. This wasn’t the case with my crt tv, so the box is fine.
    Ok, I thought – the dvd player is the best way to test the screen, so I put on a dvd and was again disappointed with the quality. Already on the menu screen I noticed these artifacts, and even more when playing the movie. I do have to go relatively close to the screen to see these pixels, but I would expect a screen like this to be crystal clear – at least that’s what people rave about. My crt seems more crisp.

Both the dvd and the freeview box are connected with a standard scart cable, and the dvd is an average Sony dvp-ns355.
    Will you always see these pixels on LCDs, or can I perhaps increase the quality with better cables?

Thanks

2. Andy3

Andy3
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi Varez. First of all, the obvious question - you say you are usung 'standard scart' connections. Don't forget scarts can carry several types of signal, including RGB, composite and S-video. It's worth checking that your TV is switched to RGB for the scart sockets (and of course your DVD and freeview box should also be set to RGB out).
    Composite feeds can look awful on LCD's - much worse than on CRT - as I discovered on our old Grundig 17" LCD a couple of years ago. Changing to S-video made a vast difference.

3. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Can confirm, DVD palyback defaults to Svideo which looks awful, by changing the scart setting to AV, DVD will look great, one of the problems I've found with the ACER is the scart defaults to Svideo after power off.

As for freeview, I have a crappy old Grundig Freeview box (mainly for the Mrs as she can't use the HTPC) and a cheap scart lead, which defaults to RGB, with a strong signal the PQ is superb, except for some of the low bit rate channels, and if you sit 2 feet away, part from the audible fan noise I'm very plaesed with it. :thumbsup: