ARTICLE: What is TV AI Artificial Intelligence?

Nice article. Where do you and Phil stand in relation to AI for image processing and the Director's intent - where up-scaling adds in information that doesn't exist in the source material.

Would intelligent 'sensors' come under AI heading as well? Thinking of where the TV takes into account the ambient light and it's effect on the picture settings or being aware if people have left the room and then putting the TV into standby mode etc.

I fundamentally don't get the idea of "machine learning" when it comes to processing audio or video.

In the first place, there is an objectively accurate output - whoever mixed the recording intended it to look and sound a particular way, and I'm dubious that stepping away from that is ever a good idea.

Even if we accept the idea that modifications to the recording may be subjectively more enjoyable to the audience, the keyword there is "subjectively": how does the TV know what the audience does or does not want to see, given that it isn't necessarily the same as what any other audience wants to see?

I don't see what rules the machine-learning can apply in order to determine whether any given form of processing is "better" than any other. And as for the idea that different video or audio processing should be applied depending on the content... why would the dialogue in a movie and the newsreader's vice in a news broadcast need to be processed differently?

None of this makes any sense to me.

In the first place, there is an objectively accurate output - whoever mixed the recording intended it to look and sound a particular way, and I'm dubious that stepping away from that is ever a good idea.
If you cannot change the content from what is on disc because that is 'how it was intended to be seen' how could you play a bluray or DVD on a 4K tv? You are effectively saying nothing can be upscaled.

If you cannot change the content from what is on disc because that is 'how it was intended to be seen' how could you play a bluray or DVD on a 4K tv? You are effectively saying nothing can be upscaled.

For a blu-ray that's encoded at 1080 it depends if you upscale directly on a 4:1 ratio or if you use AI to work out the 4 pixels from the original.

The biggest change that AI image processing addresses is the upscaling piece as just spreading a low resolution picture from a DVD to the average screen size currently at about 46inches, let alone a 55/65 or bigger as you would have to sit in the neighbours garden for it to be watchable. So I think the more manufacturers can do to retain image clarity and dare I say make the image more agreeable beyond the confines of the time the content was created, why not. Do I want to see tangerine actors and massively blown out black levels in a classic like Platoon no, but if I can watch on a 65" TV with a decent sound system and not have to close all the blinds during the day or squint to hide the blockiness, that has to be a good thing.

So it isn't artificial intelligence, it is what is called "machine learning" which is much simpler (comparatively).
Basically the manufacturers are lying.

So it isn't artificial intelligence, it is what is called "machine learning" which is much simpler (comparatively).
Basically the manufacturers are lying.
Sorry but no. Machine learning is an application of artificial intelligence (AI) that provides systems the ability to automatically learn and improve from experience without being explicitly programmed. Machine learning focuses on the development of computer programs that can access data and use it to learn for themselves. Thanks Expertsystem.com for this definition

There are a number of definitions/criteria and one is about being able to draw inferences and I doubt a TV can do that.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom