ARTICLE: What is Trinnov Optimizer Room Correction?

The number one thing putting me off the Trinnov route is not the price, it's the complexity. I would just worry that I would need yet another professional to come and set it up properly and that I would hear minimal, if any, gains over what I already have installed. I'm still to properly treat my room, though that is happening this year. After that, who knows. Interesting read, though, Steve. Am enjoying this series of articles.

No, not at all true.

So long as you wire it up and do a calibration with the mic. Trinnov support are more then happy to remote logon to your box and get you to a very good point.

Also all of the suppliers are trained, so they should come to your house and help set it up.

You can copy the setup profile and play around with it without messing up the original.

There is also a wizard to help. After that you would want to play with the high and low filters of the bass management when your done and add a target curve (but Trinnov supoort will do that for you if you like)

Depending where your speakers are you might want to move them virtually to the perfect spot.

The Optimizer wizard is very easy to use, and the results are fantastic. However, there's a staggering level of flexibility after you've run the Optimizer if you want to dive deeper. Of course, if you buy a Trinnov through a dealer (which I'd recommend), they'll be able to set it up for you to get the very best. Also, you can contact Trinnov customer support (who are awesome), who can access your Altitude remotely if you get stuck or need some help.

No, not at all true.

So long as you wire it up and do a calibration with the mic. Trinnov support are more then happy to remote logon to your box and get you to a very good point.

Also all of the suppliers are trained, so they should come to your house and help set it up.

You can copy the setup profile and play around with it without messing up the original.

There is also a wizard to help. After that you would want to play with the high and low filters of the bass management when your done and add a target curve (but Trinnov supoort will do that for you if you like)

Depending where your speakers are you might want to move them virtually to the perfect spot.
Thanks. I would still worry I wouldn't be able to hear a great deal of improvement. And even some sort of trial period would be an incredible amount of work. Maybe one day when I start on a new room from scratch.

Thanks. I would still worry I wouldn't be able to hear a great deal of improvement. And even some sort of trial period would be an incredible amount of work. Maybe one day when I start on a new room from scratch.
Looking at your equipment list it seems you already have a great system.

Looking at your equipment list it seems you already have a great system.
Thanks. Yeah, it's pretty awesome. But, you know. Always mulling upgrades. It's a disease lol.

Personally the price is the ONLY thing that's stopping me pulling the trigger on either a Trinnov or a Lyngdorf.
That said, it took me an age to master the Audyssey app then Dirac, so I think I'd be in the 'pay a professional to set it up properly' camp just to make sure I hadn't buggered it up.
Cheers for the detailed explanation Steve.

The number one thing putting me off the Trinnov route is not the price, it's the complexity. I would just worry that I would need yet another professional to come and set it up properly and that I would hear minimal, if any, gains over what I already have installed. I'm still to properly treat my room, though that is happening this year. After that, who knows. Interesting read, though, Steve. Am enjoying this series of articles.

You'd figure it out pretty easily mate. It not really that difficult if you understand how to use REW.

I've done a couple of remote calibrations for people (as a favour - no vested interest in it for me), just by using graphs people have been blown away with their results.

Regarding the 8500 vs the Trinnov, always difficult to put a value on this, but getting 30-40% more improvement wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility, I achieved this in my treated room.

I'd question if a trinnov calibrator will always get more out of the system than doing it yourself. Doing a new calibration now takes me around 20 minutes as I have done all of the donkey work in the first place, but knowing my exact crossovers, high pass and low pass filters, etc, took me a few hours of constant measuring (there is not hard and fast rule on this as it is speaker, positioning and room related) - this is how I've managed to gain that extra 5-10% in performance, but doing this takes a lot of time. I'd doubt most calibrators would do this to this extent, although I'm sure there are some out there that would, and some that could increase my performance even further.

The basic setup wizard and putting in some form of decent looking target curve (not the standard flat one), will get you 85% there which will still outperform anything else out there IMO.

I really don't think there is an easy solution to the obvious question - which is the best processor, it will depend on how good or bad your room is, how the processor works with you amplification and front end(s) and how good the set up is (you or a professional) getting to the bottom of this is not a 10 minute exercise so the 'perfect' choice is hard.

I also understand given how complex they are and with this complexity means their all be design and build compromises necessary with some of the sub £4k processors

Having listened to most of the high end processors in demo rooms, none were 'bad', I really like the upgradeability of the Trinnov (software) but the constant HDMI changes mean that hardware will also need investment depending on the use and this is very expensive.

With a 7.3.0 I am very happy with a very old analogue out set up and overall preferred the trade of resolution, spatial positioning and control to the organic flow, musical timing and tonal density I get using a 15 year old naim unit vs the Acurus ACT4 (in my set up), I am sure some would disagree and that brings in the other variable - your preferences because it is and always will be a compromise, nothing is perfect or even close. The best processor will be the one that provides the best compromise in your set up. Whilst this might seem negative, it is realistic as these amazing units will be the old Meridians or Lexicons in 10 years time with something else taking over pole position with less but still some compromise.

I think those with a Trinnov are likely to keep it for longer and 15 years use that 'only' £1k a year for your processor - cheap really !

If I had overhead speakers, a challenging room and deep pockets I'd be home demoing the Trinnov , Storm and Lyngdorf as well.

I have owned Denon, Marantz, Arcam, and Anthem AVR's, as well as an Acurus ACT4 processor. The Acurus was the closest, as you'd expect, but the Trinnov is just better than all of them in practically everything. The SQ of the Altitude is truly excellent.

So what is the approximate price for a Trinnov setup for a home 6.2.4 Atmos setup using a Marantz 8012 please ? Just a ballpark figure would be fine. Two of the dealer links for my area are dead.

So what is the approximate price for a Trinnov setup for a home 6.2.4 Atmos setup using a Marantz 8012 please ? Just a ballpark figure would be fine. Two of the dealer links for my area are dead.
What do you mean?

The trinnov alone is just a processor. The number of channels won’t change the cost of it (up to 16 channels anyway).

Why would you use a marantz 8012 with a trinnov?

What do you mean?

The trinnov alone is just a processor. The number of channels won’t change the cost of it (up to 16 channels anyway).

Why would you use a marantz 8012 with a trinnov?

Agreed 8012 is a reciever, If you are serious about a Trinnov then you need to sell the Marantz and buy some power amplification. 6.2.4 is an unusual combination 6 ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom