ARTICLE: What is RoomPerfect Room Correction Software?

Was this a sponsored article / promotion ? I assume so ?
No, it's not. If it were, it would be clearly marked as such. It is lifted from the MP-60 review so it is easy to find for readers looking for information on RoomPerfect and it can also be linked to from discussions and future reviews. We will be doing the same with other technologies where we cover them extensively in our reviews.

Okay, my apologies, it did seem odd that the title was I thought 'what is room correction software' and 95% of the thread was on RP. Then I realised I misread the title and it what is RoomPerfect Correction Software, I only realised this as I was typing my reply just now :(

That's the trouble with skip reading I guess, I'll get my coat....

Part of the issue here is presentational. On the discussion thread opening post it says
"Read the news.". Which it clearly isn't, there's no news content at all. Those 3 words already set you up for thinking it isn't what it claims to be.
Not sure if that text is some boilerplate that can't be changed, but just changing it to "Read the article" would likely be a step in the right direction.

Part of the issue here is presentational. On the discussion thread opening post it says
"Read the news.". Which it clearly isn't, there's no news content at all. Those 3 words already set you up for thinking it isn't what it claims to be.
Not sure if that text is some boilerplate that can't be changed, but just changing it to "Read the article" would likely be a step in the right direction.
Thanks, your making me feel better, I got reminded of a comment from my tutor on a mock exam many years ago “very interesting but you didn’t answer the question” RTFQ is a reminder for me 😳

Okay, my apologies, it did seem odd that the title was I thought 'what is room correction software' and 95% of the thread was on RP. Then I realised I misread the title and it what is RoomPerfect Correction Software, I only realised this as I was typing my reply just now :(

That's the trouble with skip reading I guess, I'll get my coat....

Put your coat back on buddy.
Your question was completely valid and reflects what plenty of others were thinking. It also speaks volumes that certain individuals replied before the author and who still insist that they aren't in the trade or have any links to the distributor of these products.

No doubt my comments will be 'moderated'

The Editorial team is independent of the Moderator team and I do not report to Phil H. If you have concerns someone is a member of the trade please report their post or contact a moderator privately. Unnecessarily bringing Moderators into this just comes across as "look at me". @IWC Dopplel can speak for him or herself

The Editorial team is independent of the Moderator team and I do not report to Phil H. If you have concerns someone is a member of the trade please report their post or contact a moderator privately. Unnecessarily bringing Moderators into this just comes across as "look at me". @IWC Dopplel can speak for him or herself

It's a He actually, I think most women just watch the films and dont care less about room correction. Hmmm maybe they have a point ;)

Put your coat back on buddy.
Your question was completely valid and reflects what plenty of others were thinking. It also speaks volumes that certain individuals replied before the author and who still insist that they aren't in the trade or have any links to the distributor of these products.

No doubt my comments will be 'moderated'
The author hasn't replied to this thread as he is a freelance AV journalist who writes for a number of AV titles, including AVForums and he is busy. We try to encourage our contributors to reply when they can to any genuine questions on the forums.
I'm not sure what your comments are regarding being in the trade with links to the distributor and have to conclude they are aimed at forum members replying, as our Editorial contributors are independent of any manufacturers or companies, so they can remain unbiased. If they have any interests in such it is declared openly.
I'm surprised with some of the comments on this thread, which is for an article that is supposed to exist to support members with questions about, in this case, a room correction system. If it continues to become political and off-topic, perhaps it is best to lock the thread and leave the article as a helpful guide on its own.

We will be doing the same with other technologies where we cover them extensively in our reviews.
Thanks Phil, that answers the question I posed way back in the very first reply to this thread.

I'm surprised with some of the comments on this thread, which is for an article that is supposed to exist to support members with questions about, in this case, a room correction system. If it continues to become political and off-topic, perhaps it is best to lock the thread and leave the article as a helpful guide on its own.
It would be a shame if the thread was prematurely locked.

To be fair though, I think the nature of the piece was always going to raise a few peoples 'suspicion' radar. Given the ire raised in some other threads due to what (IMO) appears to be some seriously annoying and repetitive spamming linked to Lyngdorf products, this was inevitable.

Dropping a complete section of a product review, which does end up looking a bit like an 'Advertorial' at first glance, certainly was bound to generate some negative rumblings.

It was good to see some more in-depth information from the manufacturer of how RoomPerfect works. However balanced against this, there is no actual measurement data given and some of the claims made (presumably directly from Lyngdorf?) I find questionable.

To be fair though, I think the nature of the piece was always going to raise a few peoples 'suspicion' radar. Given the ire raised in some other threads due to what (IMO) appears to be some seriously annoying and repetitive spamming linked to Lyngdorf products, this was inevitable.

Dropping a complete section of a product review, which does end up looking a bit like an 'Advertorial' at first glance, certainly was bound to generate some negative rumblings.
Nailed it. Particularly the impression of it being an 'Advertorial' This opening bit in particular seems to be promotional material that suggests that all the 'other' RC solutions are simply inferior by design, rather than being a critical analysis or review.

That first system took a similar approach to those currently used by other manufacturers, but Lyngdorf realised this type of measurement didn’t capture the distinctive sound of the speakers being used. These systems work by ‘correcting’ the sound of the speakers to match a pre-determined response, thus making all speakers sound the same.

A conventional room correction system places an upward-firing mic at the main listening position and takes a measurement, before repeating this process across the seating area. Firing a mic at the ceiling from the seating position will typically measure less than 10% of the sound coming directly from the speakers themselves.

Is it genuinely the article writer's view that Dirac, ARC Genesis, Trinnov Optimiser, etc. make all speakers "sound the same"? If so, then that's quite a damning statement for those solutions. Why doesn't that statement appear in the reviews of the products that use those solutions!? I would have thought twice about buying the Arcam 850 if an AVF review had said that Dirac neutralises the unique sound signature of my speakers. Alternatively, I could have saved a few grand on my speakers if they will sound the same as any others using Dirac.

Last edited:
I have no idea why that would be the case, given the editorial is independent of any manufacturer input, we write these reviews, articles and videos for our members, not an advertiser or any other person. So I'm baffled why you would assume we would sell out and do what you and others have assumed.

Again, I don't moderate these forums and have no idea why anyone would have negative rumblings about a piece designed to help people and inform. I can only assume by your comments (and those from others) that there are threads elsewhere I haven't read that have fed this cynicism. There is no intent on the editorial part, we just want to create useful and accurate articles and reviews.

It was good to see some more in-depth information from the manufacturer of how RoomPerfect works. However balanced against this, there is no actual measurement data given and some of the claims made (presumably directly from Lyngdorf?) I find questionable.
You are of course entitled to your opinion, but again, I'm surprised there is so much cynicism towards an editorial piece as we pride ourselves on remaining as independent and unbiased as we can, so the information is useful to end-users and forum members.

I have today commissioned Steve to write articles on all the room correction systems (which he has used in-depth during review testing) so we have articles covering all the possible solutions. It was planned to do this over time as we reviewed more kit with those systems, but given the feedback, I have fast-tracked these.

I can only assume by your comments (and those from others) that there are threads elsewhere I haven't read that have fed this cynicism.
Correct.
I have today commissioned Steve to write articles on all the room corrections systems (which he has used in-depth during review testing) so we have articles covering all the possible solutions.
Superb, looking forward to them.

Interested to hear your thoughts on this from my previous post in case you missed it:
Is it genuinely the article writer's view that Dirac, ARC Genesis, Trinnov Optimiser, etc. make all speakers "sound the same"?

I have today commissioned Steve to write articles on all the room correction systems (which he has used in-depth during review testing) so we have articles covering all the possible solutions. It was planned to do this over time as we reviewed more kit with those systems, but given the feedback, I have fast-tracked these.

Very decent of you to do that Phil and for Steve to do the write ups. I can't think of any other Forums that have taken the time to do anything similar, so kudos to you both and I'm sure they will be of great interest just as this initial one was, despite the sniping from a few. :thumbsup:

Given the ire raised in some other threads due to what (IMO) appears to be some seriously annoying and repetitive spamming linked to Lyngdorf products, this was inevitable.
Guys,

If there are concerns about a member's posts please report them as set out above. Moderating the forum is not Phil's role. I am not aware of any such reports whatsoever and raising such concerns to Phil means nothing happens. Many thanks

28mc.gif

There is no Carol in HR.

Guys,

If there are concerns about a member's posts please report them as set out above. Moderating the forum is not Phil's role. I am not aware of any such reports whatsoever and raising such concerns to Phil means nothing happens. Many thanks
Thanks, I will give thought to reporting anything particularly egregious in future. I have always preferred to just tut and let them get on with it.

Probably becoming part of the problem by not reporting and generally avoiding engaging with them, as that has tended to create a negative reaction.

Guys,

I wasn't raising a concern, merely confirming to Phil that his conjecture was accurate.

there is definitely a trinnov vs lyngdorf 'football team mentaliity' on here, if one system gets a better review the "opposition fans' cannot wait to jump in and justify their team being better! so childish

ps lyngdorf justifiably scooped all the best reviews here on av forums 🎼

pps lyngdorf room perfect is absolutely without question or doubt the best sounding equipment available after being measured by the worlds leading test equipment ( ie my ears👂👂)

I did a room perfect run yesterday, making extra special careful to do everything just right. Listened to some things on the Neutral setting and thought this isn't right, it's too flat - could be a bit fatter with a little sparkle.

Ran some Dolby demos etc, all very good on the spatial fx, LFE is there can crank it right up to around 90dB nothing flying apart, but just wasn't very happy with 2ch.

Came back this eve and listened again sounded better, tried turning room perfect off and it was woeful - it literally collapsed like a flan in a cupboard.

Need to get out of the plague and hear some systems. Listening to your own over and over on the same gear makes you tone deaf (objectively) Hopefully be vaccinated for ISE 2021 this summer.

Thank you, I look forward to reading these and hopefully learning something new.

I have no idea why that would be the case, given the editorial is independent of any manufacturer input, we write these reviews, articles and videos for our members, not an advertiser or any other person. So I'm baffled why you would assume we would sell out and do what you and others have assumed.

Again, I don't moderate these forums and have no idea why anyone would have negative rumblings about a piece designed to help people and inform. I can only assume by your comments (and those from others) that there are threads elsewhere I haven't read that have fed this cynicism. There is no intent on the editorial part, we just want to create useful and accurate articles and reviews.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but again, I'm surprised there is so much cynicism towards an editorial piece as we pride ourselves on remaining as independent and unbiased as we can, so the information is useful to end-users and forum members.

Hi Phil
I'll say it as I see it and if it breaches any rules so be it.
I would politely suggest that the reason for the cynicism is that RP was chosen for the 'article' rather than any other COMPARABLE room correction.
We all know that the distributor of Lyngdorf is a forum sponsor whereas other comparable companies aren't.

I made this comment some time ago when a similar incident occurred and my comments were removed. So I'll try again and see if they remain this time.
Whether you think it pertinent or not, when a review/article etc is published on this forum it should carry a footnote saying that AVF financially benefits from the commercial entity that produces the item 'reviewed'

It's common practice to do this on many sites and I'm surprised it's not a legal requirement.

I'm not saying that there is a conflict of interest, but any POTENTIAL conflict of interests should be declared.

In my own line of work (Medicine) we start any lecture or review with any potential conflicts of interest. It would nice to see the same here.

I did post all this once before and it was heavily moderated beyond recognition.

I don't believe anything I'm saying is unreasonable and I'm not accusing anybody of doing anything. But transparency is key.

Thanks you

Hi Phil
I'll say it as I see it and if it breaches any rules so be it.
There shouldn't be any moderation of your points as they are relevant and I am all for transparency.

Just so you know we deliberately keep commercial and editorial separate as much as possible and it in no way affects or influences reviews or our integrity, that the site has to carry advertising. Our commercial team are on the south coast of England and I'm in Durham, so we are not in an office together.

Advertisers have no direct influence on my decisions as the site Editor to what we review and we maintain our independence at all times. We can't compete with the big publishers for quantity, so we have to focus on our community and producing quality content that is unbiased and is written for our members with complete honesty. Advertisers have never influenced if a product is reviewed or not, or the outcome of that review. We have never, and will never accept payment of any kind to produce a review. I stick to that without question.

I get what you're saying and I want readers to know we have strict rules about how Editorial content is produced and that we need absolute integrity when it comes to reviews. Affiliate links do carry disclaimers as far as I know and when something is sponsored it is clearly stated that is the case.

Obviously, on this occasion, the choice to lift the 'What is RoomPerfect' section from the MP-60 review and turn it into a useful article has, for reasons I'm not fully aware of, but can guess at, appeared to look like an advertorial. That was never the intention and with hindsight, I can see why some members have reached their conclusions. I hope this conversation can get back to the subject at hand and not the politics. I will certainly consider your feedback going forward. Thanks.

I think many subscribers for many years have wanted an EQ ‘shootout’ akin to what is done for TVs. But doing that has eluded many. I know one subscriber on AVS tried last year and was partially successful but it is incredibly difficult to do. I applaud this site for at least having a go at documenting the various EQ systems - they will certainly generate some feedback - george

I think many subscribers for many years have wanted an EQ ‘shootout’ akin to what is done for TVs. But doing that has eluded many. I know one subscriber on AVS tried last year and was partially successful but it is incredibly difficult to do. I applaud this site for at least having a go at documenting the various EQ systems - they will certainly generate some feedback - george

@donttrustgoats has done this. He's USA based.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom