Article: What is Bias Lighting for TVs?

I'd like to mention though that the last post production studio I worked at had a grading suite next door to my studio... with a dark room, no bias lighting.
Not sure one example makes best practice though, or even a recommendation.
SMPTE2080-3 does define a reference critical viewing environment, and a significant level of bias lighting features within. This is widely adopted in industry, including by giants such as Netflix.

Been using a Medialight for over a year now & have been very happy with it.

My room has a TV & a projector so was a little tricky to implement a bias light as the whole room is blacked out for the projector.

I built a frame around the TV & painted it with Munsell N5 grey paint so the reflected light is the same as what is used in grading/edit bays.

Also the brightness of the bias light is also important in comparison to how bright you have calibrated your display.

The recently revised SMPTE standard is 5 nits (candellas per square meter) +/- 0.5 nits. This is not a perceptual percentage but must be measured with a spot luminance meter or spectroradiometer.

The level of that ambient illumination being reflected should be adjusted to 5 nits in order to comply with the recent SMPTE standard specification for reference viewing environment conditions. This is after the display itself is calibrated for dark room viewing.
Awesome bias lights!

2 questions:

1. what do people need to change for placement or intensity of the bias lights if they have a mount like mine that can come out 1-2.5 feet from wall (to make more immersive) So that the bias lights fill the right amount around tv?

2. What is that line coming down from the wall from behind the tv? It is only obvious with the coloured lights...?

Luminoodle multicolour strip fitted 2inch away every edge of 65xh9505, quite impressed

View attachment 1435358View attachment 1435359View attachment 1435360
Awesome bias lights!

2 questions:

1. what do people need to change for placement or intensity of the bias lights if they have a mount like mine that can come out 1-2.5 feet from wall (to make more immersive) So that the bias lights fill the right amount around tv?

2. What is that line coming down from the wall from behind the tv? It is only obvious with the coloured lights...?

Awesome bias lights!

2 questions:

I don't think you would still get this effect 2 feet away from wall, couple inches probably the best.
This line is plastic tube wrapped in wall paper same as on rear wall which I used to route all the cables. I'm planning to screw it to the wall so won't be visible. However anyway, in daily condition this space is filled with centre speaker, plc350 which is monster in size and looks good even like that.

IMG_20201212_175900.jpg
IMG_20201228_205222.jpg

^Agree.. that’s a monster speaker :eek::)

Anyone tried the Govee stuff?.Luminoodle has gone AWOL from amazon.
I have the Govee lighting around my Sony 9505 and it is a great bit of kit. Comes on and off with the TV via Google and is fully adjustable via an app on my iPhone as well as the built in controller.

I have the Govee lighting around my Sony 9505 and it is a great bit of kit. Comes on and off with the TV via Google and is fully adjustable via an app on my iPhone as well as the built in controller.
Did you go for the strips or a continuous length, got the same set btw đź‘Ť

Awesome bias lights!

2 questions:

1. My Bias light comes with a remote control allowing you to adjust the brightness level of the bias light. I used my meter to measure the light output of each mode so I could match it to my calibrated TV.

2. I cannot speak for others but I have no wire coming down from behind the TV, my bias light uses the USB ports on my TV for power.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I just got my 5m one and have it on my LG C9 65 inch. They look great! My only slight issue is that although for the first few hours they came on and off with the TV that now seems to have stopped happening. Now I have to manually turn them on and off. What gives with that...weird huh?

Ok no way Bias lighting but a lot of fun non the less I have Philips Hue Play Bars behind my projector screen . Great when kids want to blast thru a Disney film or something . Wouldn’t use for sensible or critical viewing of course but great effects.
E9978A2F-F430-4445-9344-74D8C85C442B.png

Seems like a stupid question, but going for it anyway...My TV is set in a small dormer with blackout curtains covering the windows behind it. The curtains themselves are black, the ceiling and walls just left and right are white, the walls approximately 2 ft away from the edges of the TV, the TV approximately three feet from the rear curtains and sits on my audio cabinet. Being as the black curtains will absorb most of he light, but the walls and ceiling will reflect some, is there any benefit to applying bias lighting in this situation?

Bias lighting is a light that is placed behind a TV or computer monitor to provide the ambient light around the screen without shining directly into the viewer’s eyes

Anyone know a part number for the support clips that are used if you done wish to stick down the whole strip ?

Bias lighting is a light that is placed a behind a TV or computer monitor to provide the ambient light around the screen without shining directly into the viewer's eyes.

Bias lighting is a light that is placed a behind a TV or computer monitor to provide the ambient light around the screen without shining directly into the viewer's eyes.

Erm o_O....did you not read the previous post :facepalm:.

I’m thinking about backlighting for my new tv
75” Sony 9505
How’s the best way to do it
Do you go all around the 4 edges
Or would you go top and 2 sides and miss bottom out
Or maybe just go to halfway down tv and create a square
Thinking of luminoodle
Not sure if to get pure white or white with colour
Anyone use this brand
And if you get plain 65k white cab you dim them ie : is there a built in dimmer or do you need to buy the remote to do that

Thinking of luminoodle
Not sure if to get pure white or white with colour
Anyone use this brand
And if you get plain 65k white cab you dim them ie : is there a built in dimmer or do you need to buy the remote to do that

You need the separate dimmer and remote. which is about ÂŁ15.
I used the pure white luminoodle on a 65" Sony W955 and happy with the results. Got away with an XL to do all 4 sides but I was a little further away from the edge than suggested.
You could use some string or (if you have any) 5m cables to mock the placement and see how it fits.

Is xl the biggest they do
Amazon is a bit confusing with this brand
The adverts show remotes and don’t always show the size until you dig deep

Just received my 2m strip of Medialight Flex yesterday and got it installed before some evening viewing. I'm digging it, and the wife doesn't hate it nearly as much as she thought she would, so win-win! :rotfl: :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom