ARTICLE: What is Audyssey Room Correction?

My room is open plan, tiled floor and 2 large patio doors on one side, far from ideal. The XT32 audyssey on on the Marantz was a definite step up from the prior version on the Denon.

Whereas the old setup you could distinctly hear left middle and right channels with gaps in between. The Marantz XT32 resulted in a wall of sound and all the channels blended perfectly to my ears. No changes to furniture or speaker placement.

I'm only really using for movies so can't comment on music performance.

My room is open plan, tiled floor and 2 large patio doors on one side, far from ideal. The XT32 audyssey on on the Marantz was a definite step up from the prior version on the Denon.

Whereas the old setup you could distinctly hear left middle and right channels with gaps in between. The Marantz XT32 resulted in a wall of sound and all the channels blended perfectly to my ears. No changes to furniture or speaker placement.

I'm only really using for movies so can't comment on music performance.
Which Denon to Marantz AVR did you change from and to if you don’t mind?

Oh, I see :facepalm::D
I use L/R bypass on Audyssey, so that it’s not applying its filters on top of the filters already applied by RoomPerfect on the Lyngdorf.
I'm confused now! Going by your equipment list seems you have somehow integrated your 2 ch and multi-ch equipment?

I'm attracted by the reviews of the roomperfect impact - is anyone able to say whether that or audyssey does a better job if that's not too much a blue touch paper!

Back in the day, Audyssey did a standalone unit with paired microphone intended for installers - think it was about £1500 - is there any similar unit on the market now for any number of channels?

Ok, this is fixable. Take all the people off the Beaches, stick them in rooms with paper on the floor. Have them take their cossies off, then shake them (roughly, centurian) over the said paper.
Shortage solved - as we know, sand gets everywhere!

Which Denon to Marantz AVR did you change from and to if you don’t mind?
I went from a Denon AVR X2300W as I wanted 5.1.4. Had 5.1.2 for a while but I had run the cables in the ceiling for 2 more speakers with a future upgrade in mind.

*although if anyone has a Lyngdorf MP60 they will be happy to wave goodbye to for five bags of sand please PM me as I'll be ringing the doorbell before they've pressed 'send'.

:laugh: I did not realise that sand had become so precious back in Blighty! Is it the new Toilet Paper / Paper Towel of 2021?
Bag of sand is Cockney rhyming slang for £1,000 (grand), so 'Five bags of sand' is about half the price of a new Lyngdorf MP-60 :D

Bag of sand is Cockney rhyming slang for £1,000 (grand), so 'Five bags of sand' is about half the price of a new Lyngdorf MP-60 :D
That's a lot of money for the brick that came in my box!

Double entendre? Fill ya boots :lesson:

As the actress said to the bishop.

Never heard that one before. Verrry good!

I'm confused now! Going by your equipment list seems you have somehow integrated your 2 ch and multi-ch equipment?

I'm attracted by the reviews of the roomperfect impact - is anyone able to say whether that or audyssey does a better job if that's not too much a blue touch paper!

Back in the day, Audyssey did a standalone unit with paired microphone intended for installers - think it was about £1500 - is there any similar unit on the market now for any number of channels?
The Lyngdorf TDAI integrated amps have (like a lot of stereo integrated amps) a HT bypass setting, this bypasses the volume control to a fixed gain setting, which lets it function as a power amp for my front L/R from the Denon.
RoomPerfect is, in my experience, in a different league to Audyssey, of particular note is the blending of the bass to the satellites.

Honestly couldn't disagree more. My Denon has the audyssey softer, I initially used it to set everyhing up and found it lacking, in many ways. I don't think there is a worthwhile substitute for any indivduals 'hearing' other than their own etc. It pays to spend some time setting your own system up and putting the effort in.

Honestly couldn't disagree more. My Denon has the audyssey softer, I initially used it to set everyhing up and found it lacking, in many ways. I don't think there is a worthwhile substitute for any indivduals 'hearing' other than their own etc. It pays to spend some time setting your own system up and putting the effort in.
How does your local cinema feel about having to recalibrate their entire sound setup every time you book seats?

Messing about with the EQ to try cater for your own foibles is something different to creating something that is standardise right the way from it neing mixed and then portrayed, either in your home or in a theatre. The idea is for the room EQ to negate adverse audio responses, not adjust the bass and treble to suite your tastes or preferences. In a perfect world, the room would be treated, negating the need to maniplulate the EQ with processing to counter adverse acoustics within that listening space. We don't live in a perfect world though.

This isn't to say I think Audyssey is in any way perfect though. :)

Last edited:
I have problems with Audyssey My centre always sounds shrill and the levels on every speaker always get set very low 😢

How does your local cinema feel about having to recalibrate their entire sound setup every time you book seats?

Messing about with the EQ to try cater for your own foibles is something different to creating something that is standardise right the way from it neing mixed and then portrayed, either in your home or in a theatre. The idea is for the room EQ to negate adverse audio responses, not adjust the bass and treble to suite your tastes or preferences. In a perfect worldm the room would be treated, negating the need to maniplulate the EQ with processing to counter adverse acoustics within that listening space. We don't live in a perfect world though.

This isn't to say I think Audyssey is in any way perfect though. :)
Yep, everyone's ears (And ear canals) are shaped differently. In a Concert Hall or Cinema you are in principle swept away with the event. "Home Cinema" Is a totally subjective experience. The ideal version is to have some piece of technology time align every speaker to your preferred sitting position, deal with the variencies of the room, & then let you tweak the levels & sound of every speaker to your personal satisfaction

I have problems with Audyssey My centre always sounds shrill and the levels on every speaker always get set very low 😢
Is it a problem with Audyssey or a problem with the positioning of the centre speaker. Post a photograph of your front three in their current position.

Is it a problem with Audyssey or a problem with the positioning of the centre speaker. Post a photograph of your front three in their current position.
Small / Huge thing, but make sure the microphone is at the true height of your ears when you are watching a Movie, for all sample locations.People tend to set it to a position that is when they are sitting up straight & not relaxing & slouching.

Small / Huge thing, but make sure the microphone is at the true height of your ears when you are watching a Movie, for all sample locations.People tend to set it to a position that is when they are sitting up straight & not relaxing & slouching.
agreed, I bought a Boom mike stand specifically for this as the paper rocket provided by Denon/Marantz makes it hard to do this.

I think most issues folks are expressing regarding Audyssey are ones of personal preference - very few folks are claiming that Audyssey's findings are wildly inaccurate.
If you run XT32, then it performs it's alchemy and gives a reference setting.
Anyone who finds that problematic is basically saying 'I don't want reference settings - I want something I like'.
And that's entirely their choice, but blaming an EQ programme for being accurate and true rather than something that is neither but 'sounds' better when buggered about with is a bit odd to me.
Reference is reference - if you don't like it then feel free to tinker until you're happy, but criticising Audyssey for the 'crime' of being accurate is a bit like me kicking the postman in the balls for delivering a tax demand.
Both are simply doing their job properly.
I get that RoomPerfect and Dirac may be more accurate, but there's a reason why you won't find either on a £400 Denon receiver.

I think most issues folks are expressing regarding Audyssey are ones of personal preference - very few folks are claiming that Audyssey's findings are wildly inaccurate.
If you run XT32, then it performs it's alchemy and gives a reference setting.
Anyone who finds that problematic is basically saying 'I don't want reference settings - I want something I like'.
And that's entirely their choice, but blaming an EQ programme for being accurate and true rather than something that is neither but 'sounds' better when buggered about with is a bit odd to me.
Reference is reference - if you don't like it then feel free to tinker until you're happy, but criticising Audyssey for the 'crime' of being accurate is a bit like me kicking the postman in the balls for delivering a tax demand.
Both are simply doing their job properly.
I get that RoomPerfect and Dirac may be more accurate, but there's a reason why you won't find either on a £400 Denon receiver.
The only parameter I always have to change is the relative level of the centre speaker & the two upfirers in regards to the rest of the system. As Audyssey sets them, they are always a little too low. But I don't have the most expensive of systems, & the placement of the upfirers is, shall we say, a little unique though pefectly ok. So this might be the reason for that.

av forums audyessy set up vid Someone posted this some time back when i was asking about issues on my sub set up and it helped greatly.

There's a really useful part on mic proximity to headrests which did make a difference when getting the measurements.

audyssey does get a lot of things right. problem is folks now days want it to pull off a major miracle with EQ only when at best eq will manage a minor miracle hough important one...

even if using the app to remove the mid range compensation (BBC dip) that in itself will satisfy most folk i suspect. ive used audyssey some years to good effect.

in my opinion its really method and following some basics to the letter. which folk either dont do or have major room issues that throw things out of whack and blame the eq system when all its trying to make the best of things.

Iv always thought vocals don't sound right on my denon
try removing mid range compensation (BBC dip) with the app... if havent does that already :)

The only parameter I always have to change is the relative level of the centre speaker & the two upfirers in regards to the rest of the system. As Audyssey sets them, they are always a little too low. But I don't have the most expensive of systems, & the placement of the upfirers is, shall we say, a little unique though pefectly ok. So this might be the reason for that.
And that's perfectly fine mate - the Audyssey Police aren't going to come knocking on your door and arresting you for changing a couple of settings to improve the sound in your particular listening environment.
What does seem ironic, (and this isn't a dig at your good self or anyone in particular), is that the one thing we all strive for in our various audiovisual journeys is accuracy and honesty.
Then when we get it we promptly decide we know better than reference and change it to something we prefer.
But then who ever claimed human beings were logical?

audyssey does get a lot of things right. problem is folks now days want it to pull off a major miracle with EQ only when at best eq will manage a minor miracle hough important one...

even if using the app to remove the mid range compensation (BBC dip) that in itself will satisfy most folk i suspect. ive used audyssey some years to good effect.

in my opinion its really method and following some basics to the letter. which folk either dont do or have major room issues that throw things out of whack and blame the eq system when all its trying to make the best of things.

try removing mid range compensation (BBC dip) with the app... if havent does that already :)
I'd have it turned off. Not that I noticed much of a difference

av forums audyessy set up vid Someone posted this some time back when i was asking about issues on my sub set up and it helped greatly.

There's a really useful part on mic proximity to headrests which did make a difference when getting the measurements.
Thanks, that is a good tutorial. I particularly like that he also went over why 6 or more samples are best. I am sure some people think "I don't sit there, sosampling there might skew the results".

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom