ARTICLE: What is Audyssey Room Correction?

Thanks Steve.

audyssey gets a lot of stick, but I’ve used the majority of EQ systems and it did a better job than some of the higher brow ones out there, this obviously in my room, and I’m only talking about multi channel movie listening.

The app could do with some easier controls for adjusting the curve though, I know there is ratbuddy to help, but this should be built it, it’s an absolute nightmare for fine tuning. Also giving the option to apply the curve to all speakers would be helpful.

Audessey seams fine for sorting out bass issues, but I've never enjoyed what it does above around 120Hz.
So for me the app is essential to limit its range of effectiveness.

Without the app, the effects of Audessey for me are pretty horrible, and make my fairly decent speakers (KEF r500) sound like tin cans!

Thanks Steve.

audyssey gets a lot of stick, but I’ve used the majority of EQ systems and it did a better job than some of the higher brow ones out there, this obviously in my room, and I’m only talking about multi channel movie listening.
I've used 2EQ, Multi-EQ XT and now Multi-EQ XT32, each one a very noticeable improvement over the last. My speakers have never sounded better, especially the bass.
Audessey seams fine for sorting out bass issues, but I've never enjoyed what it does above around 120Hz.
So for me the app is essential to limit its range of effectiveness.

Without the app, the effects of Audessey for me are pretty horrible, and make my fairly decent speakers (KEF r500) sound like tin cans!
So far I've not felt the need to buy the app. The geek in me is being outvoted by the tight wad, at least for the moment. But if for some reason I could pick it up for a tenner then I would pick it up.

For me Dynamic EQ is one of the best audio technologies around. It makes such a difference for those of us who are not able to listen at reference volumes.

@Steve Withers When exactly would someone use the Bypass L/R option ?

Last edited by a moderator:
When exactly would someone use the Bypass L/R option ?
I use this setting as I have a Lyngdorf with RoomPerfect, on my front L/R & bass cabinets, it works really well.

Front L/R bypass.
Oh, I see :facepalm::D
I use L/R bypass on Audyssey, so that it’s not applying its filters on top of the filters already applied by RoomPerfect on the Lyngdorf.

I haven't a clue what to do on the likes of Dirac or ARC and have to rely on running the basic Audyssey XT32 and in my room it does a pretty good job, especially on bass management. God send for old farts like me to be honest.

Interesting article thanks Steve. I read it was preferable to use ‘Flat’ eq curve over ‘Reference’. But I wonder now which one would suit me better?
I don’t have a treated room. It is a decent sized lounge using 5.1.2 atmos. Carpeted floor with sofa curtains etc but has quite a lot of reverb due to it being converted master bedroom in a three storey house.

Interesting article thanks Steve. I read it was preferable to use ‘Flat’ eq curve over ‘Reference’. But I wonder now which one would suit me better?
I don’t have a treated room. It is a decent sized lounge using 5.1.2 atmos. Carpeted floor with sofa curtains etc but has quite a lot of reverb due to it being converted master bedroom in a three storey house.
It’s very easy to flick between the two settings, you may find, which setting you prefer, depends on the material your listening to at the time.

I haven't a clue what to do on the likes of Dirac or ARC and have to rely on running the basic Audyssey XT32 and in my room it does a pretty good job, especially on bass management. God send for old farts like me to be honest.
Trust me gibbsy, I’m an old Fart and you would be able to do arc Genesis. All you need is someone to show you the basics, and away you go.

Hi, simple answer is what ever sounds the best to you. Try all the settings, on my system flat tends to give clearer vocals and dynamic volume on low clearer still. Dynamic eq adds all the sounds that would have been lost when the volume is low especialy bass, some like it others dont.

Suck it and see. You can switch between the 2 without need to recalibrate. People tend to suggest using the FLAT curve if wanting to get the best from musical sources while the reference option rolls off the upper end frequencies. Whether the FLAT option would prove to be too bright for your room would only be something you could judge?

Last edited:
Trust me gibbsy, I’m an old Fart and you would be able to do arc Genesis. All you need is someone to show you the basics, and away you go.
My eldest grandson thinks I'm a lost cause as far as computers or anything to do with them is concerned. One day maybe, who knows.

Maybe I'm getting old but I struggle to hear a major difference between each Multi-EQ XT32 setting (flat, reference etc).

Can anyone suggest any specific scenes in a movie which would help me hear the difference more clearly ?

Just for information, Flat will bypass any of the app settings.

Thanks for this Review Steve. My humble setup has the MultEQ XT version & it does a nice enough job.
And thanks for pointing out that a flat frequency versus amplitude curve is not what you want. I spent years working in the Live Sound Industry, & before the systems became "Fly-by-wire" a quality Real Time Analyzer (Crown RTA-2, for example) with dual noise generators were an important tool in EQing a venue, especially so in Large Theatres, Arenas & on up. If the curve on the Analyzer was flat, the result definitely did not sound right! :)

This works well, it was able to tell me my .4 ceiling speakers were out of phase. Turns out my electrician had wired the stripped cable as black, not red as I do normally. (Had to reverse the red and black banana plugs at the other end into the amp to correct it)

I agree with @gibbsy - I have no idea what on earth all those squiggly lines on graphs means and have no interest in tweaking whatsoever. Set-it-and-forget-it is my motto.

Could it sound better? Maybe. Do I care? No!

I also think that content sounds different depending on the disc. There are probably industry standards when it comes to sound (are there?), but I find some films are definitely mixed better than others, more dynamic than others.

So you just find the best compromise you can and don't sweat about it. I mean, that's what the volume control is for!:)

Thanks all. I have largely set it to flat but will experiment with reference. Also read/saw video about how dynamicEQ tends to just boost dB for surrounds/height which may not be ideal for those spending time calibrating volume from each speaker.

I think for all but the serious enthusiast XT32 does a pretty decent job - yes, folks may like to tinker with their Audyssey calibrated settings but that's the reference/preference argument - at least you have a reference setting to tinker with.
Or not.
The app does add a few more tinkering options - when I had a Marantz SR 8012 I used it to apply a Schroeder Curve at 265Hz and it definitely made a difference to all the speakers - the fronts were more defined and less shrill, and the surrounds and rears had more 'oomph' and there was a much better overall cohesiveness.
One thing it did do was set the subs a bit warm, but that's easily remedied.
For the difference it made I'd say the app was well worth £20 - let's face it, how else could you spend this little on your home cinema set-up and considerably improve matters?
Ok, so it's not Dirac or RoomPerfect, but then my Renault Clio isn't a Ferrari either - if you want the best you have to pay top dollar.
I've pretty much come to the conclusion that short of moving house I've done all I can to get the best sound - any changes now would be incremental and involve big amounts of money for negligible improvements, so I'm frighteningly close to calling it a day.

*although if anyone has a Lyngdorf MP60 they will be happy to wave goodbye to for five bags of sand please PM me as I'll be ringing the doorbell before they've pressed 'send'.

*although if anyone has a Lyngdorf MP60 they will be happy to wave goodbye to for five bags of sand please PM me as I'll be ringing the doorbell before they've pressed 'send'.
:laugh: I did not realise that sand had become so precious back in Blighty! Is it the new Toilet Paper / Paper Towel of 2021?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom