Article & Video: LG talk OLED, HDR and the evolution of TV

I love these sorts of articles. I look forward to a Friday as usually the good stuff goes up!

Looking forward to seeing that check list chart a few people were on about a couple of weeks ago. (HDMI 2.0a, HDR, 3d etc etc)

No USA prices finally its in black n white. :cool:

good to see there working on the viginetting
No USA prices finally its in black n white. :cool:

Yes but with both 55 " sets coming down to £2250 the uk as now seen the equivalent....the 950 at currys and the 920 at sevenoaks. If thats the prices of the sets released next spring i'd be very happy .

When you say it has "better colours" than LCD, can I ask what you mean? Genuine question as a purchase is imminent and while I'm staying towards the Philips 9600 all being well I could be persuaded to go oled. If I remember correctly the LCD's get much closer to DCI than the oleds do and are better suited for HDR due to their much higher peak brightness levels.

When you say it has "better colours" than LCD, can I ask what you mean? Genuine question as a purchase is imminent and while I'm staying towards the Philips 9600 all being well I could be persuaded to go oled. If I remember correctly the LCD's get much closer to DCI than the oleds do and are better suited for HDR due to their much higher peak brightness levels.

if you can be patient next springs Oled releases will have 99% dci and same brightness levels (800 nits ) as Lcd.

Great article Steve.

The rec2020 bit exactly explains why metamerism isn't the problem it could be, you just have to use a mix of frequencies.

Good news for EG960 owners on the HDMI too.

3.9mm, mmmmm, nice

Did you ask them about 3D on the 2016 sets? :)
After that the new line-up will be announced at CES in January, before probably going on sale around March or April time. After that there will be the European Championships, closely followed by the Olympics before the whole cycle starts again.
What I'd like to know is if we can expect the new flat one's around that time as well or if we'll have to wait until next year's IFA again.

The manufacturer also acknowledged that they were aware of the vignetting and are looking at ways of eliminating it on future generations of OLED panels.
That's good. Too bad that there's no way to confirm on the showfloors of CES whether that'll hold true or not.

if you can be patient next springs Oled releases will have 99% dci and same brightness levels (800 nits ) as Lcd.
Not sure I can be to be honest! The thing is I wouldn't be waiting until next spring more like next winter as my budget is £3500 so unless they reduce their release prices I'll only be looking at this year's models.
800 nits and 98% is any enormous improvement though. Where did you hear that?

Yes, sorry 65". I bought the Samsung js9500 but the panel wasn't the best example so it went back. You've got me second guessing myself again now! I've no doubt oled will eventually be a vastly superior product but it's just how eventual it takes for those vastly superior panels to come down to reasonable(ish) prices

Did you ask them about 3D on the 2016 sets? What I'd like to know is if we can expect the new flat one's around that time as well or if we'll have to wait until next year's IFA again. That's good. Too bad that there's no way to confirm on the showfloors of CES whether that'll hold true or not.
Actually someone else at the event asked about 3D and they said it will be supported on their 2016 sets but they wouldn't go into any specifics about their plans for next year. I guess we'll find out in two months at CES.

Just saw the LG OLED tv advert with AVForums reference on Channel 4.

Looking forward to next years models with a view to replacing the Kuro with a flat 4k OLED.

What I mean is that in darker scenes in particular an OLED TV can deliver more accurate colours because it's a self-emitting technology whereas LCDs work by passing light through the panel, so you can get light spill from the backlight affecting the purity of the colours in certain circumstances. If you're thinking of going for the 9600 you might have to wait, I've heard it could be delayed until January.

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense. I may well wait if that's the situation with the 9600. By January CES will be upon us and all the new sets will be tempting potential buyers to wait. Philips have messed up if that's the case unless they release it with a very competitive price.

Actually someone else at the event asked about 3D and they said it will be supported on their 2016 sets but they wouldn't go into any specifics about their plans for next year. I guess we'll find out in two months at CES.
Thanks, that puts my mind at ease. Wouldn't make any sense for them to drop 3D this early, so I very much doubted the earlier rumors.

A good informative and clear read, thanks Steve.
I wonder if you could clear up a niggle (or misunderstanding) for me. This is a line from your article
"This is because an OLED screen is capable of such incredible low black levels (almost zero)"
I've read similar and even less clear statements about OLED black levels in other articles/reviews but always believed that as OLED pixels don't need a pre-charge as plasma does/did that they 'produced' zero black (as opposed to "near zero") which is it? am I misunderstanding something? cheers.

That's a relief, Steve, thanks!

Even if it was only supported in a limited capacity, then I would imagine that would have to be on their top-end models.

Given that's where I'm aiming, then I'm more assured about holding off on a purchase until next year, and the advantages those sets will bring.

It's looking good.

Desk

Great article Steve.

The rec2020 bit exactly explains why metamerism isn't the problem it could be, you just have to use a mix of frequencies.

Good news for EG960 owners on the HDMI too.

3.9mm, mmmmm, nice
I've read another report from the same briefing, and suspect the 3.9mm sets referenced are those magnetic ones which attach to walls. It's hard to imagine them being ready to be anything more than very highly priced concept releases next year.

On the other hand, is there any prospect in 2016, I wonder, of an ultra-thin, self-supporting model with the processing elements housed in a seperate, self-contained box, similar to what Samsung did with their OLED TV?

Desk

Thanks for the article Steve, I am really getting excited now regarding OLED and believe that 2016 will be a great year to finally get myself a new TV.

Flat 55" OLED UHD with HDR and the other 8 things that your next tv should have and at £2k max is finally a reality. By spring the new 2016 models should be here and we should have no need to procrastinate. UHD bluray, 4k streaming and BT or SKY 4k content there is no reason to hold back any longer.:thumbsup:

That's a relief, Steve, thanks!

Even if it was only supported in a limited capacity, then I would imagine that would have to be on their top-end models.

Given that's where I'm aiming, then I'm more assured about holding off on a purchase until next year, and the advantages those sets will bring.

It's looking good.

Desk
But then you might be tempted to hold off until 2017 for what Samdung and possibly Sony announce at CES 2016. ;)

Excellent read thank you...enjoying the comments too ...When seeking a OLED
Patience is a virtue ...Having said that.... For how long does one wait.
Perhaps patience with wisdom will help.

I've read another report from the same briefing, and suspect the 3.9mm sets referenced are those magnetic ones which attach to walls.

I don't know, this year's thinnest is 4.8 so it not that much thinner.
You could be right on the media box but that would actually be bad for me since I have the cables behind the walls.
I'd like something without speakers (or detachable) but with the rest of the electronics in the set.

I've just seen Sony's 75 Inch 4k LCDs are going for £3300-5400 at the moment. It would be great if the 77 Inch OLED makes it to those levels next year wouldn't it.

But then you might be tempted to hold off until 2017 for what Samdung and possibly Sony announce at CES 2016. ;)
It's not just about technological advancements but also a combination of the price dropping to a point where I judge it the right time to buy. I was never likely to buy the 9500, but LG were undoubtedly running late with that product's arrival and pricing.

By next summer I believe all the stars will have aligned, and the time will finally be right to pull the trigger.
I've just seen Sony's 75 Inch 4k LCDs are going for £3300-5400 at the moment. It would be great if the 77 Inch OLED makes it to those levels next year wouldn't it.
I already have occasional wobbles that the 65" I've set my mind on might be too big, let alone going for a 77 incher.

At that size I reckon I'd need to either a) only watch native 4K content or b) knock through into the next room. :)

Would be great to see it at that price, though!

Desk

Really is a case of how big a change next year will be and it'll be huge.
Double brightness, more colours, faster input framerate, almost certainly an end to vignetting and banding and lower prices; that'll do me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom