ARTICLE: Soundbar or AV Receiver – which one should you choose?

Really? I have read the thread and can’t see too much wrong. What am I missing?
I'm on my second Ambeo now and this one is also faulty. If the Sennheiser App connects more than 50% of the time I consider myself lucky. When I switch inputs on the Ambeo it disconnects from the TV completely, leaving the internal speakers on. It gets very hot. When the remote happens to be working, Codec information comes and goes. Effectively I have a volume control and next to no other control.
Maybe it's a bad batch ...... yet again!

it is the rest of the family that find it complicated, so the sound bar in the lounge is ideal

I was trying to make the argument that an AVR separates system is no more complicated than a soundbar if the AVR supports CEC and ARC, which most modern units do.

Horses for courses, I listen to as much music as watching films, after many years of playing around with av receivers, 5.1 & 7.1 I finally decided I really wanted better music. Hence a good if not stupidly expensive system, Rega P3, Apollo and Brio with some tannoy speakers already owned. At the time purchased a sound bar so tv sound was a bit above the tv default when the sonos arc came out I bit the bullet and brought one already owned a couple of bits instant surround system.

Yes the films do not sound as good but more than acceptable and to get as good music with an Av system it would have a lot more expensive.

Only gripe I have is I had to dig out the firestick as the Samsung disney app does not support atmos.

I think the answer to this is very much dictated by ergonomics and willing to accept compromise. Having previously had dedicated AV and Sub/Speakers it would indeed take some serious beating.

However, due to current living room layout after a house move, and practicality, the Soundbar & wireless sub/rears is the perfect combination. Im willing to accept it may not be as good, but its the perfect halfway house. In my case I went for the HW-Q90R before it went EOS, and once all the bugs had been fixed. Perfect for my needs, decent at music, decent at TV & Movies. Soundbar tech will only get better, but yes it will always be one step behind a dedicated setup.

As for the poor bloke who's Mrs wears the trousers, you shouldn't have to justify your purchase, I'd be questioning the controlling nature of "her indoors", but that's a separate issue :)

Has anyone come across a side-by-side comparison of the Samsung HW-Q90R and the LG SN11RG? It seems an obvious one to do but none of the regular reviewers seems to have done it.

Has anyone come across a side-by-side comparison of the Samsung HW-Q90R and the LG SN11RG? It seems an obvious one to do but none of the regular reviewers seems to have done it.

I recall reading somewhere and-from feedback that the LG’s base and subwoofer weren’t as tight, and more woolly by comparison. Atmos effects and soundstage slightly wider and overhead for the bubble effect with the LG. Samsung the better unit overall with tighter response, bass, and better musically if lacking slightly in atmos immersion.

#2 is incorrect - all Denon and Marantz AVRs have eARC, even my 2018 SR7013.

My relatively cheap Sony DH790 does too. I understand Soundbars where it’s not practical to install a separates system, but I couldn’t get my head around spending £1300 on one when for the same money I got a 5.1.2 Atmos separates system with the Sony 790 AVR, BK double gem sub and Monitor audio in-wall and in-ceiling speakers (the one concession being Radius 45’s for the rear surrounds as in-wall wasn’t possible).

I moved to a 4 box bar-based wifi surround 4 months back and I can say my prior singles system had less visible cabling and looked less physically imposing. I now use two power boards plus three AC extension cables, and their chunky connector plug ends (which are impossible to hide or stow away behind most items) to go into two-pin AC connectors for each WiFi speaker. So I don't feel I have less cable now, or less visible cables, or less ugly cabling. AC cables are uglier than clear poly copper speaker cable, IMO. I could hide and minimize the singles speaker cables much more easily. So for me cable aesthetics didn't improve with the wifi speakers. I would not call it a wireless system. That marketing term is not exactly honest about the required connectivity situation. But it's in my man-cave, so I don't care much. But it would be similar in a living-room installation. So I'm not sure a 4 box surround bar has aesthetic advantages over a 5.1 system.

Plus I had to plonk the bar on my large desk in front of a large TV monitor. So aesthetically my desk took a big hit, with a genuinely large, heavy (occasionally fluffy) sound bar sitting almost in the middle of it, and has usurped my desk real estate rather biggly in the process. So I'm not so sure Sound bars are clear winners on aesthetics. For me it was the other way around.

Who prefers the look of AC cables over speaker cables? Probably no one. So maybe the downsides of AV Amp surround over 4 box 'bar' surround is being over-stated some. For a full Atmos AV amp system speaker cables would be a significant issue though.

However I was surprised to find the 4 box bar system sounded better than my prior singles system, so the prior impression/prejudice that a bar can't sound as good as singles, was dispelled for me, they can, and some bars do sound better than separates. So overall, it was worth getting a higher-end bar wifi system with .4 Atmos on top of it all.

Last edited:
I think the answer to this is very much dictated by ergonomics and willing to accept compromise. Having previously had dedicated AV and Sub/Speakers it would indeed take some serious beating.

However, due to current living room layout after a house move, and practicality, the Soundbar & wireless sub/rears is the perfect combination. Im willing to accept it may not be as good, but its the perfect halfway house. In my case I went for the HW-Q90R before it went EOS, and once all the bugs had been fixed. Perfect for my needs, decent at music, decent at TV & Movies. Soundbar tech will only get better, but yes it will always be one step behind a dedicated setup.

As for the poor bloke who's Mrs wears the trousers, you shouldn't have to justify your purchase, I'd be questioning the controlling nature of "her indoors", but that's a separate issue :)

Exactlly this ^^^^^ l have heard 2 great soundbars... Samsung Q70R/90R in rooms no more than 24m sq, both where excellent in the bass department even more than enough although slightly lacking in the surround/directionality dept compared to a quality seperates system,my system is wasted in my size of room ie 20m sq, when a quality soundbar would have been more than enough.....hence l am in the process of selling it....and replacing it with a quality soundbar

Here are a couple of other considerations.
1: Replacing a soundbar with a more advanced one is simplicity itself. Replacing a separates system with all the cabling and installation issues is a nightmare.
2: Quite a few sounders are eARC compatible. There are at present no eARC AVRs and no indication that any will appear in the near future.

I can't agree with any of this, replacing separates for better separates its straight forward.

And of course you can have both - plenty of options to use a passive Speakerbar with your preferred AVR if you like the Soundbar 'look' below your TV.

Joe

Will a sound bar and 2 rear speakers provide adequate surround sound for gaming say on a Series X? It's not just about movies.. I want to hear people coming from behind 😂

So many variables!

Dows the game/movies have anyone behind you? :)

What is your room and room layout - that will determine how well, or not, any multi-channel sound system will work in a room/space and if a Soundbar is a viable option.

Joe

May I offer my brief experience.. Some moons ago I built a cinema room in the large spare bedroom with big screen, HTPC, Denon A1 and 7.1 surround using Linn floorstanders. Mmmmm.
Fast forward to today and add wife, I am faced with watching telly in a room that is modern minimalist... Soundbar was not just a consideration - it was an essential.
I have the luxury of a house we have done up on the coast, sporting a 65" OLED Panasonic with a Panasonic ALL70T sound bar/sub package, plus back home another 65" OLED Panasonic with a Sonos Beam. It was difficult enough persuading the wife to indulge in the TVs and then convince her that we then had to spend another vast amount of cash because the sound was no good!
To be honest at normal listening levels both dish out perfectly acceptable sound - the Sonos is astonishing for its size and not one cable on view... The Panasonic ALL70T is not a bad performer and again the wireless sub is unobtrusive... And when I feel like a blast from the past I sneak off to my man cave...
In conclusion I cannot understand the soundbar haters - if you are not watching on a BIG screen but on a TV (unless its 100+") then the experience is not exactly "immersive" in the first place...

you guys make me laugh when you say you can't do an install or the wife won't let me lol

this install here at home took me 4 days to do, no wires, fully plastered, decorated and installed in 4 days. When i put the grills on the front end disappears into the room

OK i get it if its rented, but if not and you want to enjoy a full discreet 7.2.4 atmos system ,then its doable in any room when given a bit of thought and application
c2a56339-ab96-4663-bbe7-61e8d4aae2c8.jpg
c35d47a6-4a1f-492a-99ba-d49cab1cff5a.jpg
cca2c677-a76b-46d2-b29a-42b7da05f4f8.JPG
dcb022b1-1380-4303-adc7-de6014cf677c.jpg
IMG_0794.jpg
IMG_0795.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9825.jpg
    IMG_9825.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 52
it is the rest of the family that find it complicated, so the sound bar in the lounge is ideal

For family and guests, type up some instructions, for instance, PS5 - HDMI 1 on the TV, and HDMI 7 on the receiver, 4K Blu-ray - HDMI 1 on the TV, and HDMI 3 on the receiver, and so on... Print it, laminate it, and place it wherever the remotes go.

Having tried a variety of Sound bars over the years, including one or two expensive ones I am firmly of the opinion that a separates system will always be preferable to a Sound bar unless of course aesthetics enter the equation. I recently purchased a BRAND NEW Onkyo TX-SR905 AV receiver for £450 which was, when it was being produced, the pinnacle of Onkyo AV Receivers, originally retailing for around £1450. My speakers are a combination of KLH and Dali, all purchased brand new but by shopping around on the internet I was able to get them at extremely good prices, saving myself several hundred pounds. My overall cost was less than £1500. This system produces sound quality that in my humble opinion betters any Sound bar on the market.

you guys make me laugh when you say you can't do an install or the wife won't let me lol

this install here at home took me 4 days to do, no wires, fully plastered, decorated and installed in 4 days. When i put the grills on the front end disappears into the room

OK i get it if its rented, but if not and you want to enjoy a full discreet 7.2.4 atmos system ,then its doable in any room when given a bit of thought and application
View attachment 1448942View attachment 1448943View attachment 1448944View attachment 1448945View attachment 1448946View attachment 1448947
That’s amazing , you have some mad skills there, I struggle to change a plug! :laugh:

Great article
I know what a 5.1 system is, I have one. But you talk about 5.1 2 channels systems, and even more channels. What are these please ?

Great article
I know what a 5.1 system is, I have one. But you talk about 5.1 2 channels systems, and even more channels. What are these please ?
1st number is horizontal plane/surround speakers - i.e the 5 in a 5.1 would be centre speaker, front left, front right, surround left & surround right. But you can have more speakers, usually in pairs to make it 7 or 9 horizontal plane speakers.

2nd number is subwoofers - usually one but more people are going with 2 these days. These are positioned to your preference or limitations of cabling.

3rd number is vertical plane/height speakers - this is to cover sounds from above via speakers on the ceiling pointing towards the listening position or upward firing speakers to bounce sound off the ceiling to make sounds appear like they are coming from above. These usually come in pairs and in a separates system can be 2 speakers directly above the main listening position or 2 above and in front of the main listening position with 2 above and behind the main listening position and even 6 height speakers combing in front, directly above and behind. The 2 main formats which take advantage of height speakers are Dolby Atmos which can be transported via Dolby Digital Plus (mainly streaming) or via Dolby True HD (UHD Blu-ray and some HD Blu-rays) and DTS-X which is mainly via UHD Blu-ray.

A 5.1 (also 5.1.0) system would be 5 surround speakers and a subwoofer
A 7.2.4 system would be 7 surround speakers, 2 subwoofers and 4 height speakers.
A 5.0.2 system would be 5 surround speakers, no subwoofers and 2 height speakers.

There is also psychoacoustic processing which effectively tries to use sound processing to make it seem as if there are more speakers than there really are. This is commonly used to simulate surround and height speakers but is never as good as real speakers.

I read those stories I and honestly don't understand how his wife can make decisions about his hobby? Does he chooses to which hair saloon she goes for her? I would go crazy living like this.
There's compromise and there's just being a doormat.

This is why I am happily single with a wonderful 5.1.4 system for films and games + Soundbar for general TV watching all in the same modestly-sized room!

Yes, it's crammed full of speakers, but who cares? I don't!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom