ARTICLE: PS5 vs. Xbox Series X: Which Next-Gen Console is Best?

I don’t feel the need to get both consoles. I had a PS4 Pro and an Xbox one, but hardly ever played the Xbox and found myself playing with mates who also had PS4s. TBH, I don’t have the urge to play any Microsoft exclusives. Sony just seem to make games that I like more. And I think that’s the case for a lot of folk. Hence the amount sold last gen. It’s all personal opinion.

Gamepass will be useful for kids as they won't be able to afford to buy a 70 pounds games every two months. (Assuming they buy 6 games a year). It will reduced demand for 2nd hand games.

For Ps5 Vs XBOX series consoles. It is early days. I got PS5. I will have a look at XBOX Series X once Halo Infinite get released. I will know if XBOX One X is good enough or not. Console are very similar, so it is down to games.

I do think Microsoft won't stop Bethesda Softworks releasing multi format games due to needing to make money back from sales. But they can make sure XBOX have an advantage ie gamer pass, delayed PS5 releases, etc. We will know what going happens in 12 months.

Gamepass will be useful for kids as they won't be able to afford to buy a 70 pounds games every two months. (Assuming they buy 6 games a year). It will reduced demand for 2nd hand games.

For Ps5 Vs XBOX series consoles. It is early days. I got PS5. I will have a look at XBOX Series X once Halo Infinite get released. I will know if XBOX One X is good enough or not. Console are very similar, so it is down to games.

I do think Microsoft won't stop Bethesda Softworks releasing multi format games due to needing to make money back from sales. But they can make sure XBOX have an advantage ie gamer pass, delayed PS5 releases, etc. We will know what going happens in 12 months.
Might be just me, but I think Bethesda games are really over rated.

Last edited:
I got both in the end - figured i'd get them eventually, so why wait? - and mostly play the Series X w/Gamepass. It's almost cliched to say it these days, but Gamepass is a total game changer. The key point isn't the massive library of current games or the prospect of the first party stuff on the way - it's that your mates all have the same games. I couldn't convince 3 other ppl to buy Deep Rock Galactic. Probably wouldn't buy it myself. All decided to try it on a whim and it's the best damn co-op game in a while. Street of Rage 4. Always looked cool, but wasn't going to splash cash on it and play alone. I've now completed it twice with different people and it's some of the most fun i've had gaming fullstop. State of Decay 2 - same story. Amazing game, if a little buggy. So good, in fact, that no. 3 is now my most wanted game on any system. This is just a few games - there's been other surprises and no doubt a shed load more soon to arrive in our collective library. If there's one criticism it's that Gamepass is gaming crack. And the joypad isn't as good.

The PS5 I like a great deal btw. Demon's Souls is fantastic. But that's all i've played on it. Unless Sony combine PSNow with PS+ and add first party games day one, it will be relegated to occasional exclusives duty.

I got both in the end - figured i'd get them eventually, so why wait? - and mostly play the Series X w/Gamepass. It's almost cliched to say it these days, but Gamepass is a total game changer. The key point isn't the massive library of current games or the prospect of the first party stuff on the way - it's that your mates all have the same games. I couldn't convince 3 other ppl to buy Deep Rock Galactic. Probably wouldn't buy it myself. All decided to try it on a whim and it's the best damn co-op game in a while. Street of Rage 4. Always looked cool, but wasn't going to splash cash on it and play alone. I've now completed it twice with different people and it's some of the most fun i've had gaming fullstop. State of Decay 2 - same story. Amazing game, if a little buggy. So good, in fact, that no. 3 is now my most wanted game on any system. This is just a few games - there's been other surprises and no doubt a shed load more soon to arrive in our collective library. If there's one criticism it's that Gamepass is gaming crack. And the joypad isn't as good.

The PS5 I like a great deal btw. Demon's Souls is fantastic. But that's all i've played on it. Unless Sony combine PSNow with PS+ and add first party games day one, it will be relegated to occasional exclusives duty.
I'm sure Gamepass is really good. But I don't get anywhere near as much time to play these days, maybe a handful of games a year. So, I doubt I'd get the value for money out of it. I never really play the free monthly games on PS Plus either.

I'm sure Gamepass is really good. But I don't get anywhere near as much time to play these days, maybe a handful of games a year. So, I doubt I'd get the value for money out of it. I never really play the free monthly games on PS Plus either.
If you're not getting time to play, I'd wait for mid generation refresh or price drops :) that's what I do! I only this week for a PS3 😂 working on a collection to have all consoles (minimal emulation) back to 16bit consoles

If you're not getting time to play, I'd wait for mid generation refresh or price drops :) that's what I do! I only this week for a PS3 😂 working on a collection to have all consoles (minimal emulation) back to 16bit consoles
Well, I already have a PS5. I'm not saying I don't get to play, I just need to be wise in my game choices. Can't wait for Cyberpunk next week!!!!

answering the exact question of which next gen console is the best hardware wise its the xbox series X its a fantastic and very clever piece of hardware and more advanced than the PS5

now if were not just talking hardware and everything else as well its a far more complex argument. Xbox with game pass is an excellent value proposition. The PS5 will have the top quality AAA exclusive games that xbox doesnt

answering the exact question of which next gen console is the best hardware wise its the xbox series X its a fantastic and very clever piece of hardware and more advanced than the PS5

now if were not just talking hardware and everything else as well its a far more complex argument. Xbox with game pass is an excellent value proposition. The PS5 will have the top quality AAA exclusive games that xbox doesnt

It's a deliberately divisive question posed by the OP.

I maintain both consoles will offer something different to different people and serve that purpose well.

I would like an X-Box purely because of Forza and that fact Microsoft embrace DV and Atmos for gaming but, not enough to make me switch.

I've had a PlayStation since 1996 in one form or another and I'm used to the controller. I tried a brother's X-Box and I just couldn't get used to it (the controller).

The dual sense is amazing (so far). And there's no way I couldn't play TLOU or the TLOU2. They have to be part of my gaming life.

Still, the thought of DV for gaming makes me purr. Sony's implementation of HDR is frustrating, to say the least.

Contrary to execs claims that mid-gen consoles would be very unlikely, it looks like the PS5 Pro with dual GPUs is a possibility: PS5 Pro With Two GPUs In The Works? - Dark Horizons
thats an old story based a on a leaked patent from last year it was reported on months ago. Then one media outlet slow on the uptake noticed it and reported it again and as its on the internet everyone reported it as news.

frankly games media now days is embarrassing

thats an old story based a on a leaked patent from last year it was reported on months ago. Then one media outlet slow on the uptake noticed it and reported it again and as its on the internet everyone reported it as news.

frankly games media now days is embarrassing
Sorry, back to reality it is.

I don't think PS5 will be the clear winner this gen when it comes to exclusives and could lose the crown. MS pool of first party talent is significant and it'll be interesting to see what the next 5 years bring.

I have a series X on the way, but my heart is set on the PS5. For Horizon Zero Dawn 2 in particular. No factual reason for the preference. I must admit that none of the launch titles on either have me excited.

Why does there need to be a ‘winner’ in a console war? We are the winners, getting to chose between great consoles and great games. I think it would be bad if there was no competition. It’s just daft all this brand loyalty. You make your choice and be happy with it. No need to slag off the other one.

There no way a PS5 can compare to how great the xbox is due to game pass

A Kid opens his new Xbox Christmas present on 25th and look how many games he can choose to play if his parents also get him game-pass ;)

A Kid opens his new Xbox Christmas present on 25th and look how many games he can choose to play if his parents also get him game-pass ;)

Yer, they're really gonna miss out having to play those twenty odd games that are part of the PS Plus collection that includes Unchartered 4, TLOU, Days Gone and God of War. Gutted.

Yer, they're really gonna miss out having to play those twenty odd games that are part of the PS Plus collection that includes Unchartered 4, TLOU, Days Gone and God of War. Gutted.
Lol at the pair of yous 😂😂😂🤦‍♂️

I just don't get the big deal about game pass especially on Series X - majority of the games are 2 or more years old and complete dross. Its a good deal (and even a marketing man's dream) with the Series S but to me MS are trying to hide the fact they are 9-12 months away from releasing their 1st exclusive AAA titles by bringing game pass front and centre. For Series X im really not convinced at all

How much of a gigantic ballsup was it to release not one but two consoles and not have brand new exclusives ready to go for day 1.....

As if Sony needed a helping hand for the 1st 6-9 months or more of the next Gen, MS certainly gave them a nice little bonus while they go on their merry way.

Im not trying to suggest Sony have got it all their own way, they certainly haven't but the hardware isn't that different internally (and there is still the big question of how long /who will get the most performance over each life cycle) and Sony at least have the dual sense -which will take devs time to fully develop - I just hope they put the effort in.

personally i like game pass ive played all these games since September games i otherwise would of had to buy

control
man of medan
jedi fallen order
tell me why
doom eternal
observation

I've not had an xbox for 3 years and although went with both consoles I've been playing the Series X non stop. Gamepass is incredible, not sure where the idea that most of the games are complete dross comes from 😆 Guess its all opinions though!

At the same time I'm still eager for both consoles to release something new and decent. Whilst I enjoyed Astro, the novelty has worn off.

Lol at the pair of yous 😂😂😂🤦‍♂️

Well, the thread was quite civil and mature until somebody chimed in with a comment reminiscent of a teenager:facepalm:.

As far as I'm concerned, both consoles have their merits and one will appeal to some more than another.

And some lucky sods have both:(.

A great review, except that it seems a little Xbox bias?

For example: When it lists the spec of the consoles side by side, it shows the PS5 size as 667gb after OS, and the Xbox size as 1tb. But the Xbox size after OS is 802gb, which has been omitted. This makes it look like the Xbox has 333gb extra storage, when it actually has only 135gb extra storage.

In the comparison it shows the Xbox having a SSD expansion slot, but neglects to show that the PS5 also has an expansion slot.

It correctly shows the Xbox as having 802.11ac wifi, but incorrectly shows the PS5 as having the same. In fact the PS5 supports the newer 802.11ax standard.

Also it says that Gamepass is about the same price as PSN. But Gamepass is £10.99 a month and PSN is almost a third of the price at £4.17 a month (£49.99 a year).

And no mention of Astro's Playroom, the game that comes free with every PS5.

Since I have always had a gaming PC, the Playstations only appeal to me because I can play a lot of -if not most- XBOX games on PC if I want to.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom