ARTICLE: PS5 vs. Xbox Series X: Which Next-Gen Console is Best?

Tim2049

'Xbox' (Microsoft's variations on the names are confusingly silly) seem best suited to players who are happy playing old games with enhanced performance.

PS5 seems to be more about looking forwards and focusing on new games.

I'll be getting a PS5. The Xbox culture doesn't make sense to me. I've been a gamer since I was a little kid and new consoles were always about 'new' experiences. I can't remember ever bemoaning the SNES for not being able to run NES games. Yet...backwards compatibility is all the rage these days. I don't get it at all. Hence, I'm going with Sony...

StefanBFC

Bring on the arguments 😂. I've been a gamer since I was a kid. If you know you know. 🤫 Xbox 👍🏻. Doesn't need an explanation. We're far superior.

Last edited:

acgingersnaps

I had the PS, PS2, PS3, then a gaming PC. I've had the Xbox Series S for a couple of weeks now. Brilliant little machine.
As an Xbox newbie, I have to say the game pass is an absolute game changer. What a superb idea.

Slinkywizard

I understand the reasoning, but the conclusion 'Neither is better, both are good' isnt a conclusion at all. The title is 'Which next-gen console is best?' and I think it reasonable, having read through the piece, to expect an answer even/if it's just one writer's opinion. It's like you want to compare the consoles, but you don't want to **** anybody off. And for me you can't have it both ways. IMO, either title the pieces 'We compare the next-gen consoles' or pick a winner.

Kotatsu Neko

Suspended
Putting aside the hardware advantage for the Series X, I think the real killer app is Game Pass. Being able to try out so many games across a range of genres and generations is literally game changing. Of course Sony may launch their own equivalent someday, but for now Game Pass is king. It was pitched as the Netflix for gaming, and its turning into exactly that.

Kotatsu Neko

Suspended
'Xbox' (Microsoft's variations on the names are confusingly silly) seem best suited to players who are happy playing old games with enhanced performance.

PS5 seems to be more about looking forwards and focusing on new games.

I'll be getting a PS5. The Xbox culture doesn't make sense to me. I've been a gamer since I was a little kid and new consoles were always about 'new' experiences. I can't remember ever bemoaning the SNES for not being able to run NES games. Yet...backwards compatibility is all the rage these days. I don't get it at all. Hence, I'm going with Sony...

An odd attitude to be frank. Most development is cross platform so the latest games will of course be available on both. If you're really into Naughty Dog or Insomniac then not so much, but I can see plenty of merit in the MS studios' output too. They just bought Bethesda for goodness' sake, so I think they're pretty serious about new games.

Tim2049

An odd attitude to be frank. Most development is cross platform so the latest games will of course be available on both. If you're really into Naughty Dog or Insomniac then not so much, but I can see plenty of merit in the MS studios' output too. They just bought Bethesda for goodness' sake, so I think they're pretty serious about new games.

I don't agree it's odd, on the contrary, I believe its a widespread opinion. The Bethesda acquisition bodes well, absolutely, but where are the new IPs currently? Which 'next generation game(s) are you currently playing on your xbox..?

Microsoft push game-pass/cross-play and backwards compatibity over 'new games'. That's about the least controversial comment i could possibly make.

I don't agree it's odd, on the contrary, I believe its a widespread opinion. The Bethesda acquisition bodes well, absolutely, but where are the new IPs currently? Which 'next generation game(s) are you currently playing on your xbox..?

Microsoft push game-pass/cross-play and backwards compatibity over 'new games'. That's about the least controversial comment i could possibly make.

what‘s so new on the ps5 library then ??

Mango Bob

Interesting and useful discussion folks, thanks. Been a Playstationer since GT2 but fell out of love with consoles after the PS3 (life intervened sadly, passing 40 sucks).
Game pass and the series S sound like a great way to get back into gaming :thumbsup:
The next Gran Turismo is probably the only thing that'd tempt me back to PS5 which is a chunk of change for 1 game!

karenburton1305

Novice Member
I've always preferred Xbox myself - my son seems to enjoy both of them and keeps switching between both.

I just prefer the xbox pad and xbox vibes - need to make a decision for him ready for christmas

Tim2049

what‘s so new on the ps5 library then ??

Not a great deal, it's been a disappointing launch line up, as we all know.. No disputing that. (Still more than Microsoft's though if the subtext is gonna get a little pissy)

Sony's intentions are clear, they're about pushing new games. First and foremost.

Microsoft have a different approach. One that clearly works for many and that's fine. I'm just not particularly keen on, for example, playing Grand Theft Auto 4 at 60fps...& that's the kind of 'feature' that Microsoft appear to be pushing.

niteowl744

you can judge what is better right now, the hardware is suposed to be better on xbox, but revisit this question this time next year, the devs have not had the xbxo dev kit that long, so you cant compair until around a years time when you start getting games using xbox full caperbilitys

karenburton1305

Novice Member
That's a really goot point about the year a
you can judge what is better right now, the hardware is suposed to be better on xbox, but revisit this question this time next year, the devs have not had the xbxo dev kit that long, so you cant compair until around a years time when you start getting games using xbox full caperbilitys

That's a really good point about the year actually!!

Qactuar

Distinguished Member
I had the PS, PS2, PS3, then a gaming PC. I've had the Xbox Series S for a couple of weeks now. Brilliant little machine.
As an Xbox newbie, I have to say the game pass is an absolute game changer. What a superb idea.
This is what will likely sway me to Xbox - when cloud gaming is available on PC.

At the moment, via Android, it's massively impressive - even on a cheap £90 Fire HD10 with a PS4 pad plugged in. Astonishingly good!

£10 per month ultimate pass (easily had for less) is very, very hard to ignore. Sony surely needs to come up with a comparable offering soon?

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
Semi-fair point on Bethesda (though it feels a little like playing catch up when they seem to be coming down from a peak a few years ago) but as ES:6 is certainly going to be cross platform the PS exclusives draw me in every time.
I guess I'm your prime example of someone who's really into Naughty Dog and Insomniac (and Guerrilla - I will eat the new Horizon game for breakfast, lunch and dinner)

Qactuar

Distinguished Member
Putting aside the hardware advantage for the Series X, I think the real killer app is Game Pass. Being able to try out so many games across a range of genres and generations is literally game changing. Of course Sony may launch their own equivalent someday, but for now Game Pass is king. It was pitched as the Netflix for gaming, and its turning into exactly that.
It's (a repeat of my last post) a real game-changer for the market. Many citing this generation as the last "hardware" generation of any note - maybe next gen we will be buying much cheaper streaming boxes instead? Here's hoping!

kjhank

While I've had both consoles in the last generation (initially just bought the One X for the UHD player + to see some improved visuals in cross-platform games, but I've actually gotten quite fond of it and actually played everything on it, while keeping the PS4 just for exclusives), this time I'm thinking of skipping the Xbox. The entirety of PS5 (including the design - whether I like it or not is another story ;-)) just screams next-gen to me. Plus, from what I've seen i DigitalFoundry's videos, it seems the raw power advantage of the Series X isn't being utilised in cross-platform titles, at least for now.
Also, after seeing the Series X in person the design seems just so... meh. It really looks much better on the renders, IMO. No fanboying here, though. If the Series X evolves to something more interesting, I still might give it a go in the future, who knows.

daveb975

£10 per month ultimate pass (easily had for less) is very, very hard to ignore. Sony surely needs to come up with a comparable offering soon?

Totally agree. I chose to go with Xbox this time purely due to the pass system.

In the event, someone at either Game or Royal Mail decided they've have my Xbox so I ended up with a PS5 instead. I've been really impressed with it, but I still think that the pass system will tempt me the other way before long.

Styles

I've never owned an xbox but I did play a lot of games on the original while babysitting my cousins and played through the first two Gears of War games on the 360 which i loved. But if i was an xbox gamer there is no way I would switch to PS5 over the Series X now with practically my whole library being available to me on the new machine. The game pass is also a great deal if there are enough games that you like on there.

However It's PS5 for me as I'm moving on from the PS4 and the first party studio games are the exact gaming experiences that I like to play through. If something catches my eye on the Xbox in the next few years though I'll probably get it too.

Also wasn't there a difference between the WiFi available on both machines?

While I've had both consoles in the last generation (initially just bought the One X for the UHD player + to see some improved visuals in cross-platform games, but I've actually gotten quite fond of it and actually played everything on it, while keeping the PS4 just for exclusives), this time I'm thinking of skipping the Xbox. The entirety of PS5 (including the design - whether I like it or not is another story ;-)) just screams next-gen to me. Plus, from what I've seen i DigitalFoundry's videos, it seems the raw power advantage of the Series X isn't being utilised in cross-platform titles, at least for now.
Also, after seeing the Series X in person the design seems just so... meh. It really looks much better on the renders, IMO. No fanboying here, though. If the Series X evolves to something more interesting, I still might give it a go in the future, who knows.

can I ask how the design of the ps5 screams next gen ?

StefanBFC

It looks like a delicious space sandwich.

I have my entire AV kit inside units (no back for air plenty of space). The PS5 would just not fit in unless you have an absolute huge TV unit. It's like picking a football team when your a kid, I'm definitely happy I picked the XBox. I couldn't change even if I thought the PlayStation could be better ha.

kjhank

can I ask how the design of the ps5 screams next gen ?
For me it seems very modern and post-minimalistic, without looking like some cheesy item from Star Trek. But, as I've said, I haven't seen one in real life yet, and my opinion of the Series X's design was much better before seeing it beside my friend's TV.

Rawschach

Distinguished Member
I have had all the XBox and Playstation models (apart from Pro and X) so i feel kind of neutral

Of the PS5 and the X Series (Microsoft have dropped the ball with the names as they are a mess) I think they both look great, with a lot of potential which will take a while to realise. Nothing screams BUY ME NOW at me yet though.

The stats look pretty similar - both are very capable machines. Whilst the 'mine is better than yours' arguments are mildly entertaining, it all seems a bit of a non issue with the state of the world.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

Focal releases 1000 Series integrated speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Klipsch announces ProMedia 2.1 BT speaker set
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
No Time to Die gets pushed to 8th Oct 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
KEF announces KC62 subwoofer with new Uni-Core technology
  • By Andy Bassett