ARTICLE: Arcam Dolby Atmos and Dirac Home Cinema Excellence

Excellent. Loving the bass traps and acoustic panels.

The price of the speakers used I would expect something special.

Bill

Did Arcam give you the opportunity to listen to the same piece with Dirac applied, and Dirac not applied? Interesting read though, thanks!

Did Arcam give you the opportunity to listen to the same piece with Dirac applied, and Dirac not applied? Interesting read though, thanks!
Steve covers that in the piece, plus we discuss it more in the Podcast which is out tomorrow.

What speakers did they use out of interest. I was think of getting some new stand mounted speakers

It is an interesting setup, that isn't a million miles away from affordability level. Normally when you see setups like this, they spend in the hundreds of thousands and so is no where close to achievable for most people on this forum. I would be interested to know the overall price of the audio side of the system (ignoring the subs/sub amp, since not consumer buyable).

£3k for main speakers is the top end of 'consumer' speakers (a little over top end), but no where nearly as expensive as you see at high end audio shows. I would say £1.5k is probably more in the realistic range, but at these price points the difference in speaker quality is pretty marginal and you need big jumps in price to get small improvements.

Would be interesting to hear this, as it probably doesn't sound far off what could be achieved at home with a bit of expenditure in room treatment.

Interesting read Steve. :thumbsup: I would have liked to go to the Arcam open day next weekend, but couldn't make it. I'll be interested to hear the feedback on the forums after it too.

IMHO Dirac combined with some room treatments makes a fantastic combination, even in my more modest AVR390/P7 set up with MK 300/150 series speakers.

It is an interesting setup, that isn't a million miles away from affordability level. Normally when you see setups like this, they spend in the hundreds of thousands and so is no where close to achievable for most people on this forum. I would be interested to know the overall price of the audio side of the system (ignoring the subs/sub amp, since not consumer buyable).

£3k for main speakers is the top end of 'consumer' speakers (a little over top end), but no where nearly as expensive as you see at high end audio shows. I would say £1.5k is probably more in the realistic range, but at these price points the difference in speaker quality is pretty marginal and you need big jumps in price to get small improvements.

Would be interesting to hear this, as it probably doesn't sound far off what could be achieved at home with a bit of expenditure in room treatment.

The front L&R speakers in the home cinema room look like Salon 2's. If so, they are quite a lot more than £3K pair, more like £23K. Too rich for me, but am looking forward to hearing them in action.

The front L&R speakers in the home cinema room look like Salon 2's. If so, they are quite a lot more than £3K pair, more like £23K. Too rich for me, but am looking forward to hearing them in action.

Yeah 23k is not a realistic level for the vast majority of people and i would suspect people paying 23k on main speakers speakers are probably not looking at Arcam for their processor.

Good spot and I'm sure you'll enjoy the demo on Saturday. I agree that twenty grand on just the front left and right speakers is too much for most people but the beauty of the AVR850 and Dirac is that you can combine them with any decent set of speakers and you'll have yourself a stellar system.

Also looking forward to the open day hoping they have a detailed discussion on the set up of dirac as most of the questions on the arcam forums are pertaining to this. also will be cool to hear the difference between the 850&860

Blinking hell! I thought I’d finished spending!! Arcam is now on my list!!

The Atmos demo they did the year before at Bristol with KEF reference speakers blew this setup out of the water, enough so that I purchased. Not so fussed on the revel kit, lost its edge somwhat. The Kef R series demo with the 850 (couple of years back) was also an excellent setup, again to my ears partnered far better than the revel kit. Personally I’d pair KEF with the Arcam kit for the best possible sound and synergy. The Arcam P49 is one hell of a power amp!

Interesting comment on the arcam power amp as I’m in the market for one will have a good listen on the open day although i’ll take into account it will be in a dedicated room

Interesting comment on the arcam power amp as I’m in the market for one will have a good listen on the open day although i’ll take into account it will be in a dedicated room

Class A/G amplifier. Have heard it driving Blades and was simply stunning. Very high quality amp indeed.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom