ARTICLE: 50 Great Live Albums For Easing Yourself Back Into The World

Hi a bit late on the live albums, for fans of miles davis, i discovered live at the plugged nickel, its a really awesome listen, the actual discovery of a live performance.

Amazon product ASIN B000002B01
1623394439580.jpeg

i also have a soft spot for nirvana live at reading

Amazon product ASIN B002MRROKI
1623394410178.jpeg

great list Ed and loved the feedback

Great Thread.

I will repeat what I put on the Not One Wasted Second; The Pursuit of the Perfect Album:

Glad to see this thread is still active.

For me, the best live "album" is Springsteen at the Hammersmith Odeon, London '75. I own the 4LP set and although the package is terrible, it's a truly transformative listening experience. From the up-tempo Born to Run to amazing version of Lost in the Flood.

It's remarkable Springsteen was disappointed with their performance.

Here's a taste:

And a few honourable mentions (and there any too many to mention) are:

Another vote for LCD Soundsystem - Live at Madison Square Garden (The All my Friends version has been in my playlist ever since)

Another Vote for Lou Reed - Rock 'n' Roll Animal

Another Vote for The Ramones - It's Alive (Even It's Alive II is awesome)

One vote for John Cale - Fragments of a Rainy Season (Perfect and John Cale's version of Hallelujah inspired Jeff Buckley definitive version)

One vote for for Joy Division - Still (Because it's the first known version of Ceremony)

And a few props

Talking Head film concert - Stop Making Sense (Obvious choice)

Another vote for Bowie - Glastonbury 2000 (Perfect swan song for Bowie. I don't think there's a hit left unplayed)

EDIT: I don't wanna derail the thread, but my favorite (since is hilarious and awesome at the same time) bootleg is the Sisters of Mercy doing Gimme Gimme Gimme (A Man after Midnight) in 1984. Be aware the quality is terrible :)

Last edited:
I was going to suggest Simple Minds -Live in the city of Light , didn't realise there was a recent live album, will have a listen 👍
Simple Minds Live 5x5 is better than both. 5 tracks from each of their first 5 albums, one of my favourite live albums.

Just wanted to thank Ed for this great article. I am listening to the talk talk london 1986 album just now and it is truly great.

Where did you get it from? Can't find it at non rip off prices

Martin

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom