ARTICLE: 50 Essential albums for lockdown listening

Somebody clearly didn't have their coffee this morning and embarrassingly omitted James Blunts seminal "Back to Bedlam" in the noughties section.. like WTF

Thanks for this Ed. As I'm working from home and just bought some new Steljes speakers for my desktop I'm going to go through each album one by one.
I'm pleased to see I am very familiar with some of the suggestions, UNKLE and DJ Shadow for instance....and love me a bit of Little Earthquakes! But I think Siamese Dream by the Smashing Pumpkins should be on the list.

I’ve just purchased some Shure KSE1200 electrostatic iems. It’s impossible to enjoy music on the stereo or my HD660S anymore due to the kids, so dog walks with the Shure’s will be my preferred way of listening for a while.
So Thanks for this list, I’ve got some long walks to get lost in some new, and forgotten Albums now.

Ah yes Funkadelic Maggot Brain. The super duper spacey stereo version of Maggot Brain track is bonkers good. Not sure if the LP has this, at least pretty sure mine doesn't.

Last edited:
Somebody clearly didn't have their coffee this morning and embarrassingly omitted James Blunts seminal "Back to Bedlam" in the noughties section.. like WTF

I think that the album most likely to elicit a "erm, wha?" response on the list is the Rosanne Cash one but there is a whole graveyard of albums that I thought about putting on there but didn't because I suspected that the feedback would have been... interesting.

I'm listening to one of them as I type; How to Dance by Noze. "I wash my feet..."

I’ve just purchased some Shure KSE1200 electrostatic iems. It’s impossible to enjoy music on the stereo or my HD660S anymore due to the kids, so dog walks with the Shure’s will be my preferred way of listening for a while.
So Thanks for this list, I’ve got some long walks to get lost in some new, and forgotten Albums now.
How much???!??!?!

How much???!??!?!
Honestly, worth every penny. I’ve not heard better sound quality. Transparent, natural, detail retrieval that only my previously owned HD800S came close to. Plus the best bass quality I’ve heard from any headphone. Add to that portability, 30dB of isolation and the escapism they offer is unrivalled.

on a side note, see the review a few days ago on here of the new campfire iems, I put them in the same ball park as the shures and they cost over a grand, but don’t require the electrostatic energiser which adds to the cost.

Aww, i was hoping to see 'The Pernicious Enigma' by the UK's finest psychedelic funeral doom band, Esoteric... 😁

Very pleased to see your inclusion of Mr Terry Callier - One of my favourite of all time artist.

Well done Ed, a decent stab at an almost impossible task. Should be something for everyone on that list, but as you say ultimately its down to your own personal choice. I'm definitely going to check out that Shamen album though as it passed me by at the time.

As if my Spotify library was not already eclectic enough!

Having ditched about two maybe three albums, I now have a 44hr playlist lol. That should keep my planned Euro road trip going next year.

One True Pairing is currently being played rather loudly. What brilliant album.

Perhaps telling that I haven't heard of a single one of those albums.

For me, Pink Floyd, Queen, Radiohead, and Bowie are all I really need.

source.gif

Though I am 24 years older than Mr Selley, I have not even heard of the heavy majority of the artists, let alone heard of, or heard, their albums. But I do concede that Mr Selley has listened to a great deal more popular music than I have. The only album that I have possessed by one of these 50 artists was "Time loves a hero" by Little Feat, which I gave away about two years after purchase. However, I have no quarrel with Mr Selley's selection. I'm happy to use his list as a starting point should I wish to listen to more popular music.

One True Pairing is currently being played rather loudly. What brilliant album.

Its inclusion meant that Hayden Thorpe's (the other Wild Beasts vocalist) Diviner didn't make the cut which is a shame as it is differently brilliant but brilliant nonetheless.

I'm definitely going to check out that Shamen album though as it passed me by at the time.

Ensure you find the 1.5 version (I think it's the one on the streaming services). Just to be annoying, there are three versions of En Tact and they all have identical covers.

Its inclusion meant that Hayden Thorpe's (the other Wild Beasts vocalist) Diviner didn't make the cut which is a shame as it is differently brilliant but brilliant nonetheless.

Ensure you find the 1.5 version (I think it's the one on the streaming services). Just to be annoying, there are three versions of En Tact and they all have identical covers.
Yeah I'm not sure I got the right En Tact version. Spotify has no mention of 1.5.

Terry Callier - What Color is Love . Oh my.

I'd also add to the list Aimee Mann Lost in Space.

Interestingly, ‘All Things To All Men’ from ‘Every Day’ is always one of my test tracks for new gear. Also in my Top 20 favourite tracks ever!

Yeah I'm not sure I got the right En Tact version. Spotify has no mention of 1.5.

Does it have (Massey) after Human NRG on track 2? If so, that's 1.5.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom