article, 360 and ps3. Interesting read

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by mattg, Jan 4, 2007.

1. mattg

mattg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Hi all,
    Stumbled across this article today and found it quite an interesting read. Would like to know what you think about it? Naturally being an interview with MS it is biased towards the xbox, but does raise some interesting issues with the ps3 that I wasn't aware of.

CLICK HERE FOR ARTICLE

2. Jay

Jay
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,081
    Good article, enjoyed reading that. It wasn't biased at all, and he seemed to just be telling things how they were. :smashin:

3. mattg

mattg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Yeah I got the same feeling.

It would be interesting to see if the same reporter could get an interview with sony and ask similar questions.

The HD DVD / Blueray comparison is interesting too. I've read a few others comparisons (even hd + br +dvd) and I can't tell the difference from screenshots. DVD is more obvious though.

A couple of months ago I would have said that blueray would win, but now I think it is just going to come down to random market factors.

The most interesting question raised is it fair to compare a second generation game with a ps3 launch game? What if Xbox are always a generation ahead of sony? I guess we need to wait a year before we really see what the ps3 is capable of. Either way if I can get 1-2 years of gaming before the ps3 becomes the better performer I think that offers good value for money.

4. gaz2785

gaz2785

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Like with all things I reckon neither is better than the other and it depends who you speak to.

People are always asking, what's best VGA or component, LCD or Plasma, Mercedes or BMW, PHP or Perl? It isn't a case of one being better than the other, they all have their advantages and disadvantages and it depends on your requirements and preferences.

5. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202

my answer to that would be to remember that both consoles were announced at E3-May 2005.
    Also - look at what is a "first gen" games on both console like Ridge Racer or Fight Night Round 3

P$3 is still a loser...:thumbsdow

6. PaleRider1975

PaleRider1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    A very unbiased review and good reading, just don't post it on the PS3 forum the fanboys will go nuts, lol! :D

7. Jay

Jay
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,081
    Even if ps3 is more powerful, the xbox was more powerful than the ps2, it boiled down to games, and ps2 had way better games, xbox was more suited to ahrdcore gamers in my opinion, whereas ps2 catered for absolutely everyone. Xbox 360 is similar to the xbox, but it does seem to be trying to cater for everyone this time round, and with more and more cross platform games there's not gonna be alot in it. Either way ps3 will outsell the 360, in a couple of years time the ps3 will be ahead of the 360. Playstation is a well known brand name, similar to back then when people would say lets play nintendo, and sony are right that people would buy a playstation no matter what (not everyone but a fair few people). I on the other hand am not an idiot and unless there are games i like that arenn't available on the 360 then i won't be buying. Gran turismo and tekken are 2 games i would buy a ps3 for but i'll be waiting for a price drop first, until then the 360 will do me fine. :smashin:

8. Jay

Jay
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,081
    duplicate post sorry

9. psikey

psikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,040
    Why not? I'm on the PS3 forum daily seeing as I now have a PS3 instead of the 360 but still going to give it a read. Would buy another 360 tomorrow if they would redesign it with quiet fans/drive.
    OK. Read it. Not biased in anyway, all points valid except he's over playing the drive size. It won't be an issue soon. Must admit wasn't aware of actual reason for lack of 720p scaling of blu-ray but no issue on a 1080i/720p set anyway as you get the best of both worlds but suppose I would be a bit annoyed if I'd got a 1080p set & game would only play at 720p.

If Microsoft would just bring out a revised machine with quite drive/fan and an option to have the HDDVD drive built-in for extra cost then the PS3 really would be up against it.

Having had a 360 & now a PS3, for pure game playing, especially if on-line play is important to you, then the 360 has the edge over the PS3. One other thing that bothers me with the 360 long term is the lack of interest in the asian market where its falling dead (Japan especially).

10. v_legendary25

v_legendary25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So what was that about Blu-ray only outputing 480p in the artical?

Why was that..

11. psikey

psikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,040
    If you have any HDTV that doesn't support 1080i (some early TV's don't apparently) then you will only get blu-ray playback at 480p (SD) on those TV's, not the HD 720p.

12. Turb007

Turb007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +692
    No scaler ..got to admit the PS3 sounds less and less attractive the more I read about it.

If you never owned a console before and had a choice between 360 and PS3 there's only one clear choice ATM

and no I'm not a fanboy..if the PS3 rocked I would own one already :cool:

13. Jedibitch

Jedibitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    so, how did they get the 360 to output 1080p over vga with that tv? i was under the impression it was impossible with the x range at the moment?

i have a 46x and would love to use a vga cable and get 1080p?

is this possible or am i on the wrong track here? :confused:

14. psikey

psikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,040
    Hmm. Not sure what to believe now. We have had a bit of a discussion on the PS3 forum & I checked a few things out with my PS3.

For certain you can't currently get a blu-ray to play at 720p and any games rendered at 720p will not upscale to 1080i (nor sure about 1080p as might is 1080i/720p).

The strange thing is that AVC trailers will upscale/downscale. A file with resolution of 1280x720 will still display fine if TV is at 1080i and equally a 1920x1080 file will show fine at 720p???

15. geordie10

geordie10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    The ps3 will not have force feedback either.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3156211

16. Anotherlimey

Anotherlimey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +930
    Not quite the machine it was cracked up to be eh? :rolleyes:

17. Br0ken

Br0ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,314
    Nice article, good read.

Never knew the ps3 didn't have a hardware scaler, kinda thought that was a given as a lot of the mass affordable hdtv's output 720p and not 1080p.

I think the ps3 will be popular, but there are just a few too many things that come witht eh ps3 that'll make it a must have for me.

18. Mattk84

Mattk84
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Very interesting,unbiased article.
    The basic upshot is that they are/will be (more or less) equal.

Trouble is,things like this appeal to people in the know but many of the younger generation blindly just go with the flow.
    Interestingly,I would imagine that the previous generation of consoles had a pretty noticable age gap ie younger people going ps2,older xbox but now I firmly believe that the the ps3 has priced itself out of the younger market where will they go ? From what Ive seen and read the 360 seems to have a well rounded user base.

19. dbm001

dbm001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Last week the News of the World ran a small article on the PS3, how it was gods gift to gamers and how it was twice as powerful as the 360.

Thank god for unbised comparrisons like this one, unfortunately the fanboys will always prefer the News of the World's opinion over this.

I seriously doubt however that the PS3 is going to enjoy the success of it's predecessor and that it will be the runaway champion of the console wars in a couple of years time. It's high price point and lacklustre launch lineup has already stunted sales in the states with the console not being the overnight success that many thought it would be. The 360 will always be that generation ahead as mentioned, and once the PS3 just starts to get into it's stride, look out for the next microsoft super console.

Dave.

20. radionx

radionx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Im lucky i have the xbox360 with the hd-dvd drive for which i have a large amount of games. I also have the Ps3 which i bought for the moment to play blu-ray films on. I think that the both consoles in the future will have good games on both sides ( Halo3/ Mgs4) which will be both big selling points for both microsoft and sony.

From what i've seen from the games i've downloaded for the Ps3 the only game so far to make my jaw drop :eek: is Gran Turismo HD simply put this game is stunning.

But im sure microsoft will be bringing something out soon which will look just a good.

At the end of the day if you can afford it buy both. Then you will have the best of both worlds.

But if i had to be stuck on a desert island and i could only have one console id have the 360.

21. evade

evade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The last Dashboard update apparently rectified this issue for the American X series, once again us Europeans got overlooked :thumbsdow

22. Guns_LotsOfGuns

Guns_LotsOfGuns
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,312
    Assuming the island has a broadband connection :smashin:

23. Spinke

Spinke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    Very well written article, though there were some questions missed which I would love to have heard answered - noise for example; when can we stop having jet engines in our homes?

On the upscaling/downscaling issue, it can easily be done with software, just Sony's software seems to be 'broken' at the moment. Hopefully they can sort it out before the EU release!

24. Anotherlimey

Anotherlimey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +930

Are you saying GT HD looks better than TDU?

Im not having a go just find it suprising that an old game updated to HD can look better than a new game....

25. radionx

radionx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    I found it suprising when i loaded it up for the first time but trust me. it looks amazing. :smashin:

26. kalel795

kalel795

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    the game wasnt just updtaed to hd its complely reworked so its as if it was a new game like TDU and from screen shots alone GT HD "IMPO" wins hands down

27. Anotherlimey

Anotherlimey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +930
    Yeah ive since seen it running and have to say it does look very good, Thanks for the replys :smashin:

28. ghost5

ghost5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Very good read and I wouldnt call it biased.

Didnt know about the upscaling chip, but it should be sorted in some kind of software.

All though the X box is on its so called '2nd generation' and the PS3 is on its first and both machines are matching each other, if it keeps going that way then eventually the PS3 should over leap the Xbox, say when the the 360 gets to its 'last generation' and the PS3 still has one or two more 'generations' left in it.

My friend has the Sony 3LCD 50" TV and that doesnt have component :rolleyes:

29. Coolit

Coolit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I've read quite a few articles and peoples comments with many reffering to first and second generation games. I dont understand how people can compare in this mannor as both consoles have had more or less the same length of development time, regardless of PS3's delays games continue to be developed, so in my opinion any 360 game verses any PS3 game regardless of "generation" is a fair comparison.

I very much dought the PS3 will ever surpass the 360 (I'm far from a 360 fanboy btw), but if the pictures of the revised 360 model come to fruition I can see the 360 increasig the gap further.

Lastly, I think the delays with the PS3 have been extremely harmful to Sony, the question is, can they recover this "generation"?

30. Mattk84

Mattk84
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135

You may well be right but the comparisons Ive seen have been like for like eg CoD3 and THP8 to name but two so the 2nd gen v 1st gen argument doesnt apply here.