Arsenal TV not on Virgin due to Capacity Constraints

Although it's not a great loss to the majority they're going to have to sort this out pretty quick.

Second time we've heard this excuse.

It puts the chance of getting C4 and ITV's HD channels at pretty much zero. They're not able to make any guarantees on carrying them in the future either.

It's funny.I seem to remember only a few years ago how cable company's were always harping on about the fibre optic cable network having almost limitless capacity and would be the best choice (over sat) for all digital and HD services.
As it turns out it was just so much waffle.Can't see Virgin lasting very far into the future if it is at capacity already. With more channels being launched almost on a monthly basis has Virgin come to a dead end?

personally i would prefer QVC+1 than Arsenal Tv but i see your point.

Fibre optic cables with contention issues :(

It's funny.I seem to remember only a few years ago how cable company's were always harping on about the fibre optic cable network having almost limitless capacity and would be the best choice (over sat) for all digital and HD services.
As it turns out it was just so much waffle.Can't see Virgin lasting very far into the future if it is at capacity already. With more channels being launched almost on a monthly basis has Virgin come to a dead end?

I must agree.

I think it's because they're using up all the capacity by still sending analogue signals to all areas even where most people are using digital.

Things would likely improve if Virgin switched to MPEG4 over MPEG2 but it would mean new boxes. Dunno how that could be achieved now.

I remember Telewest justifying staying with MPEG2 for HD by saying they had almost limitless bandwidth so no need for MPEG2.

best news i've had all week, don't want the gooners infecting my screen

Fibre isn't limitless, but it's certainly able to support massive bandwidth. Virgin are no way maxing out their fibre capacity (I know because they sell to businesses and I just bought a load), it's the last mile that's the problem.

I know they changed most of the modem channels to 256qam i think that is what is needed for the tv as in most areas I believe it is still 64qam but I am told it is quite a big job to amend the network to work like this.

From various threads elsewhere C4HD is likely to air on VM in March when the necessary upgrades have happened (Arsenal TV likely as well, though who would want it:D)

i wish they would take off crappy rangers,celtic and liverpool TV as well. :D

My question is then: Why can't they sort out their current capacity problems before they even consider offering anything else? I have mentioned this in other threads but I don't know if London NW2 is worse affected than other areas but around here is a complete joke. After 5pm my 20mbit broadband goes down to around 0.5mbit, the on-demand service is painfully slow or not working at all. The fact that Virgin is talking about 50mbit makes me extremely angry! I've had at least 10 engineers out and they all say different things. They MUST know what the problem is and they must also be guilty of false marketing when they can't deliver anything close to what they are promising. Anyone else?

Marketing, pure and simple. "UK's fastest broadband at 50mbit" is a much better strapline than "Our engineers are basically incompetent" or "We realise our service is awful, so rather than roll out new products we're going to fix it".

Every complaint about their service, Virgin can dismiss as "unusual regional issues which we are actively investigating and solving". That's why there is no incentive to solve the problems.

Unless, of course, we all complain to OfCom.

Although my experience was similar to the last two posters we do get a fair sample of people here singing Virgin praise, so its not a national issue. Maybe Virgin describing these issues as regional is not entirely inaccurate... maybe.

Simplest way to get a company to buck their ideas up is to stop paying them any money. If you're not happy (and you can) then switch supplier - simple!

I am really annoyed - I finally took the plunge with Virgin digital (had Analogue before) because Arsenal TV would be inclued in the Setanta Sports pack - otherwise I would probably had gone for Sky!

I am really annoyed - I finally took the plunge with Virgin digital (had Analogue before) because Arsenal TV would be inclued in the Setanta Sports pack - otherwise I would probably had gone for Sky!

If this is the case, you might be able to cancel your contract due to Virgin changing the service they provide substantially. However, this will probably be tough as you're actually talking about a service that they hypothetically were going to provide. There is more info regarding this in their terms and conditions.

Alternatively, remember you have a full 30day money back guarantee from the date of install should you wish to do a quick runner!

Although my experience was similar to the last two posters we do get a fair sample of people here singing Virgin praise, so its not a national issue. Maybe Virgin describing these issues as regional is not entirely inaccurate... maybe.

Obviously I can't say what their service is like for the rest of the country (I've heard some horror stories), but where I am, and other than their nation wide outage the other week I never get a problem with their broadband and for what its worth I get the 2Mb I should be getting, day in, day out. My mate says he gets his 20Mb as advertised and another person I know with 4Mb BB gets those speeds advertised. I'm so pleased* with it I could NEVER at this point even consider an ADSL line.

My parents have had VM TV for a week and a bit, and yeah some things are frustrating with it after being with sky (mostly hardware issues, V+ box constantly spinning and the remotes are far more clunky and not so well constructed compared to the Sky ones in my opinion), but as far as the service being provided down the cable is concerned we're getting a pretty good one and £20 per month cheaper than Sky. On-demand is great and its really rather responsive. I can only recall it being unresponsive on one occasion but other than that its going good so far.....I just wish they would up the picture quality on some channels thats the only other niggle I have about it. On a CRT TV it is not so noticeable but on an LCD it can look bloody terrible, but I guess it's one of those things you will get used to.

I really think the service provided is hit and miss with VM and depends on where you live. The only major issue with them where my situation is concerned, and this seems to be the same wherever you are is that their CS line is completely crap, but then most service providers have crappy CS lines these days. The attitude on some of their engineers leads a lot to be desired to.

*I don't like them throttling the bandwidth if your within the top 5% of downloaders, but despite being a heavy home computer user I'm rarely affected by it

Im would rate myself as pretty satisfied with my VM service overall.
My 20mb BB works well prety much all the time , I think the XLTV has TOO many channels i get fed up of scrolling through them all (must sort out my favourites list)

they chucked in Setanta sports with it which aint bad ..esp as a Manu fan last week! :)

the picture quality is generally superb..

I NEVER watch any crappy CLUB TV channels inc the MAN U ones and consider them just above QVC in terms of watchability... there are more things to do with your life
they should make them all OPTIONAL

Howsabout some thanks for Virgin not showing The Arsenal channel, after last nights shambolic performance.
The have saved us poor Gooners from having to watch repeats and endless discussions about that nightmare.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom