Arrrrghhhhh , I think Im going mad, VGA now looks better than HDMI

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by fallwood, Mar 21, 2006.

1. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ok now this may sound strange but I am now convinced that the image throught HDMI on my Z4 is too sharp, what I mean by too sharp is that I can see slight EE on text that I cant see through VGA, even with the sharpness turned down the EE is still there even though the image starts to blur slightly, through vga with sharpness set at 0 I can see no EE and the image is razor sharp (only just properly 1:1 mapped my vga input cos I never really used it).

Ive been struggling to put my finger on whats not quite right about my image and now I think ive found it, on wide angle shots people/objects always seemed to have an edginess to them that made the image look overly processed, through vga the EE is totally gone without losing any of the detail and the image looks more natural.

Ive been really scrutinising the image lately and thought that the problem was that I had gone up 1.5 ft in screen size and dvd's are just generaly badly mastered. Anyone have any thoughts on this or am I indeed just going mad.

2. bigbadmuller

bigbadmuller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I've heard several people say just that.

"I actually prefer component/VGA to HDMI, but i thought HDMI would be far better as its digital?!?"

If you prefer one or the other then use it. :smashin:

I know its kinda off topic but when i was testing a pile of LCD TVs i found that VGA/component inputs often provided superior colours and detail compared to HDMI (never mind getting 1:1 pixel mapping via HDMI being a total whore with some sets). But there were exceptions to the rule so i guess much of it is down to how the individual manufacturer implements HDMI. Maybe? :rolleyes:

3. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Heres a couple of pics showing the difference. IMO the vga looks much clearer, the hdmi is set at sharpness -6 and the vga at 0. You can clearly see the difference sat at 14ft so its not as if I have to have my nose to the screen. Damit I was just getting used to viewing pal at 50hz as well.

Attached Files:

4. bigbadmuller

bigbadmuller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    what if you set both to the same sharpness setting?

5. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    If I set the HDMI sharpness any higher the EE gets worse, if I set the VGA lower it just starts to get a bit fuzzy, with VGA sharpness up to +7 the EE is not as bad as it is on HDMI set at -6.

6. bigbadmuller

bigbadmuller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    hummm. well i guess it looks like using VGA is the best bet.

What graphics card are you using?

i wonder whether there is some setting in the graphics properties which might alleviate the EE. Could be that via VGA its automatically set to a sensible setting but via DVI/HDMI it turns the sharpness up. I doubt it does do anything like that, because it would be retarded, but I've seen sillier bugs in graphics drivers. :)

The colours look a little different in those two shots too, unless its just a peculiarity of the digital camera youre using. HDMI is more vivid but adds a yellowy tinge to the white background. Curious.

7. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    On my HS60 there is no setting for sharpness on VGA yet their is a setting on HDMI. You would think it would be the other way around.

8. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Im using an ati 9600xt, the yellowy tinge is another thing thats been bugging me, it gives skin tones a clay look whereas over vga they look fine. Im gonna stick with the VGA for a bit and see if I prefer it, only question now is can I run at 50hz over VGA on the Z4 ?.

9. JohnWH

JohnWH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Which way around are those screen shots? The second looks better than the first to my eye...

If the first is HDMI, then I don't think its a sharpness issue, it looks more band limited, or perhaps non 1:1 pixel match? If its the other way around then I don't think there's anything wrong with HDMI...

John.

10. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    1st one is hdmi, second vga. Definately 1:1 mapped , according to Rhone the Z4 does suffer from some EE over hdmi, strange that vga doesnt suffer the same.

Right now Im just not seeing the benefit of HDMI over VGA , as you can see it actually looks worse.

I originally thought HDMI was better but only just realised that I never actually 1:1 mapped my vga input properly, once I'd used the tracking and phase image from the faq I noticed the difference immediately.

11. JohnWH

JohnWH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Ahh, looking at it on my monitor a home you can see clearly the ringing, quite bad really! Unbeleivable that manufacturers can't get something as straight forward as 'no processing' right, particularily when they manage it for other inputs.

John.