Arrrggggghhhhhhhh which one!!!???

Snookum

Standard Member
ok ok ok! I'm man enough to admit defeat!!:(

I've been on operation cinema room for ages now - eventually after gods knows how long bought a 40 inch Samsung 1080p which arrived today - looks beautiful!

I have my x box 360 ready to go, but alas i don't feel that i can start it up until i have the sound in place!

I've been going around the houses looking at a samsung system, a Panasonic system, LG systems etc etc etc etc!!!! theres so many to chose from!

I'm very very new (as you can tell) to all this so have now got to overload!!! :eek:

so good people this is where my plea begins!

i have approximately 350-400 pounds to spend.
What would you top recommendations be, i can see i'm going to open a can of worms here.

I'm liking the look of the old LG systems (maybe LG HT902TZ or LG HT503TH (is there really that much of difference?!) or perhaps the Panasonic 860 or even the............i could go on but i'll stop!

any person favourites or ones to avoid?
Do i really need a 1080p upscaling? (i intend to get Bluray soon ish)

oh and finally i'll be mainly playing 360 and watching movies!

thanks in advance!

Chris:lease:

Lucas44

i'm gonna be looking to get a new system for that money in a couple of months but i've been researching already.

i think i've narrowed my choice down to a separate receiver/amp and then a speaker system including sub. this gives the advantage of being able to chop and change components if one were to go wrong.

i've been looking at these jamo speakers which can be bought for about £180
http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=292837&sourceid=2012

and then team this with an entry level receiver such as this yamaha
http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=YAMA-DSPAX761

i know it works out a bit over budget but i'm sure there would be a massive difference in sound quality over an all in one.

Welsh Whirlwind

i'm gonna be looking to get a new system for that money in a couple of months but i've been researching already.

i think i've narrowed my choice down to a separate receiver/amp and then a speaker system including sub. this gives the advantage of being able to chop and change components if one were to go wrong.

i've been looking at these jamo speakers which can be bought for about £180
http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=292837&sourceid=2012

and then team this with an entry level receiver such as this yamaha
http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=YAMA-DSPAX761

i know it works out a bit over budget but i'm sure there would be a massive difference in sound quality over an all in one.
A solid reccomendation there. You might also want to look at the new Yamaha AV63 HERE

Or the new Sony HTSF/SS 1200/1300 recievers. Though they're pretty damn hard to get a hold of at the moment...

Snookum

Standard Member
sounds stupid but with those i should get ma self a DVD player yeah??

ok thats actually sounding like not a bad idea now! although is the easy of an all in one not so much more.....easy!!!???:D

thanks for all the help!

Welsh Whirlwind

sounds stupid but with those i should get ma self a DVD player yeah??

ok thats actually sounding like not a bad idea now! although is the easy of an all in one not so much more.....easy!!!???:D

thanks for all the help!
Yes, with all the reccomendations on here you'd need to purchase a DVD player/ BD player on top.
With your budget seperates are definately the way to go tbh. The problems with an AIO are firstly, (as mentioned above) if something goes wrong the dvd/amp/speakers the whole thing is rendered useless, nothing is inter-changable. Plus AIO have extremely limited digital inputs to link other peripherals such as XBox360/Sky etc. Most boast just one optical input, and thats it.
As for ease of use, if you purchase an AV starter pack like the AV63 if anything it's probably a little easier to set up than an AIO system. Most will come with an auto calibration mic aswell, so even the most amateur owners can achieve a perfect setup.

The Sony selection is a kind of AIO amp where you can't actually interchange the speakers, and you'll still need to add a DVD/BD player etc. The reason this is a good choice is because despite being not as flexible as a true seperates system, you get alot of higher end features at a very decent price, most notably it's ability to pass uncompressed PCM (decoded HD audio) over a HDMI connection (This is very desirable if your a BD player or PS3 owner as you have an instrument that showcases HD audio, albeit downmixed into a 5.1 spectrum as opposed to 6/7.1) plus it also will carry sound and video over a HDMI connection, saving you having to run additional optical cables for digital surround sound etc. Another endeering feature is its 'slimline' design. I own a 1200, see my review and an extensive thread HERE

Hope this helps.

Snookum

Standard Member
thanks for all your help!

I'm certainly being tempted in the quasi separates system now! can't find the Sony HTSF1200 for the mo' - can find the 1100 though so will have a look at the differences between the two!!

Again thanks for ya help on this mucho appreciated!

Welsh Whirlwind

The 1100 does not have the above mentioned features, so I'd advise either wait until the 1300 becomes more widely available (but you'd need to pre order now and be prepared for around a 2 month wait...)or you can purchase an 'SS' 1200(satellite speaker) version HERE The 'SF' (Floorstanding speakers) seems to be about as easy to find as 'Hens teeth'...

Otherwise your best bet is to email a load of Sony Centres around the country and ask them to split the 1200 from the HTD-870RSF/S package (or buy the whole thing! The 870 DVD HDD recorder included in the pack is widely regarded as one of the best on the market) and sell it to you seperately (Each part is packaged in it's own seperate box within the bundle anyway) then compare the prices, one person on these forums managed to get the 'SF' for as little as £280 from his local S.C. If they have the model in stock most will deliver anywhere for around £40.

Snookum

Standard Member
ok!

I'm liking the looks of all of this at the mo'

Seem to be able to find a fair number of 2000 models around - more expensive but appear to be getting fairly decent write ups! maybe worth putting a we bit more cash in and getting that! Know much on that model?

can see a pacakge with a blu ray for about £550 ish (saving around £40 on the system i reckons) - but was thinking of holding off on blu ray until i get a PS3 - seems sensible!

Only other option is to get a cheaper ish one for now then upgrade later, putting the cheaper on in the lounge and the decent set up in ma cellar! Hmmmmmm so much to think on!

again thanks for all your hlp on this!

Chris

p.s. know a decent cable outlet to pick up som cables!?? not sure how many i'll need as yet! probably best waiting until its all hooked up, but reckon i could prob predict the number if i'm usuing DVD and x box and wii at this stage!

Welsh Whirlwind

ok!

I'm liking the looks of all of this at the mo'

Seem to be able to find a fair number of 2000 models around - more expensive but appear to be getting fairly decent write ups! maybe worth putting a we bit more cash in and getting that! Know much on that model?

can see a pacakge with a blu ray for about £550 ish (saving around £40 on the system i reckons) - but was thinking of holding off on blu ray until i get a PS3 - seems sensible!

Only other option is to get a cheaper ish one for now then upgrade later, putting the cheaper on in the lounge and the decent set up in ma cellar! Hmmmmmm so much to think on!

again thanks for all your hlp on this!

Chris

p.s. know a decent cable outlet to pick up som cables!?? not sure how many i'll need as yet! probably best waiting until its all hooked up, but reckon i could prob predict the number if i'm usuing DVD and x box and wii at this stage!
The 2000 is identical spec-wise to the 1200, just asthetic differences to compliment Sony BD players.

Get a PS3, it's arguably the best BD player on the market at the moment, and its regular firmware updates are continually updating the system.

I've bought cables from the following retailers:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/b/ref=amb_l...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=114915891&pf_rd_i=560884
http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catalog/
http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/dynamic/home.html
http://www.misco.co.uk/indexuk.asp?
http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/index.html?id=33JmsFjA

Snookum

Standard Member
ok, still looking and appraising me options at the mo.

Came across this little fella:

Sony HT-DDW890 on Pixmania which seemed not too bad a price!

any thoughts on it!? shame re: tall boy speakers though!

Snookum

Standard Member
ok i think i've finally decided to take the plunge and pick up a HTSS1200.

Gonna order it today, i was hoping if someone could possibly suggest the best way at hooking all of the following together - gonna pick up the cables this weekend as well:

TV - Samsung 40inch 1080p
Xbox360
Nintendo Wii
DVD player...

.....and obviously at the 'heart' of it all the 1200!!

any hints etc would certainly help; me not blow myself up!!!!

:thumbsup:

thanks in advance!!!

Chris

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom