1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arrrg! DIY screen destroyed.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jtorry, Jun 5, 2004.

1. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, not destroyed, but severely damamged. We have had people in doing the doors in the house and unknown to them behind the door in the bedroom is a nice home made projectoon screen. It only cost me about £40 for the parts as i used blackout cloth, but it took a fair few hours to build. Unfortunately it now has a fairly large door handle impression in the centre of the screen. It is silly to get worked up over something that cost so little, but when i saw it i was gutted. I probably should have made things clearer to the guy doing the work as it looks pretty much like a normal wall, unless you actually look properly at it. Seeing as i am going to have to recover it now, is there anything i could use that would be better than blackout cloth that wont cost a fortune? I am only using a Z1 so ultimate screen performance isn't needed. It is quite funny how the screen has survived a 4 year girl running round the place with paint and crayons and lived through double glazing instalation, but was defeated by a door.

2. rob12770

rob12770
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    not really, for the money, black out cloth is prolly the best choice, may i suggest you punch your painter in the ear, then if he then falls unconscious, rifle through his pockets an recoup your money.

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    I replaced my blackout cloth with some proper screen material with a gain of 1.2, but as Rob says, for the money, BO cloth is hard to beat.

The proper screen material was a little whiter and brighter as expected, but unless you need something with a gain greater than unity, I'd go the BO cloth route again.

Gary.