Arrow's Cruising Blu-ray Review & Comments

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Good review Cas. Again, not sure I have seen this one but I cant say Im that bothered! :D Will still check it out at some point though.

MJeeves

Thanks Cas. Yes, it can be a bot of a slog to get through. Is the UK Arrow disc the same in terms of quality and supplements as the US Arrow release? Thank you.

mainaman

I havent gotten around to seeing it yet,but this reminds me of the first act of Noe's "Irreversible" and the lesser known,but critically acclaimed "Stranger by the Lake",which is in my huge backlog of titles.

BTW,will Arrow start releasing UHD discs next year;its overdue and they already have 4k scans,so why not?

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Thanks Cas. Yes, it can be a bot of a slog to get through. Is the UK Arrow disc the same in terms of quality and supplements as the US Arrow release? Thank you.
Yes mate, I believe they are identical. Arrow and Criterion (presumably partly from a cost point of view) appear to be on a good streak when it comes to providing the same discs on both sides of the pond.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
I havent gotten around to seeing it yet,but this reminds me of the first act of Noe's "Irreversible" and the lesser known,but critically acclaimed "Stranger by the Lake",which is in my huge backlog of titles.

BTW,will Arrow start releasing UHD discs next year;its overdue and they already have 4k scans,so why not?
It'll be interesting to see whether this happens but it feels more likely that they will continue their Waterworld trend, i.e. license the title cheaply to release an extras-packed 4K-remastered limited edition set and get one last pinch of money out of customers, before the bigger company release the actual 4K disc, no doubt bare bones so they can start the cycle again. I wonder whether Arrow's Oldboy set will follow suit.

If Arrow start doing 4K now, they'll be jumping the gun when it comes to their business model. There's at least another special edition they can milk out of all the films on BD which haven't had a 4K remaster, which can be released in advance of a bare bones 4K disc (not Arrow), then, in about 5+ years, a limited edition 4K set...

TarPot

Thanks for the review, Cas.

I've always liked this film, as it's different. But will conceed it has it's issues.

One thing though, Arrow didn't release Sorcerer, only To Live And Die in L.A.

Sorcerer to me, is Friedkin's best film. I love it.

Jessica Noir

I bloody love Cruising and while the new version might not be perfect, it must be better than the HD one on iTunes which has a blue filter put over the whole film. Having not seen the new transfer, I'm just thankful this is getting a proper release at all and having a decent selection of extras is the icing on the very sleazy cake. Just wish they got an interview with the massive guy in his underwear and cowboy hat that the police have hanging around interview rooms.

Totally agree with you @Casimir Harlow about the casting of Pacino. He looks so uncomfortable in every scene and for a character who is meant to be getting seduced by a kink and lifestyle, it really doesn't work but it just adds to the strange nature of the film.

dr no

Thanks for the review, Cas.

I've always liked this film, as it's different. But will conceed it has it's issues.

One thing though, Arrow didn't release Sorcerer, only To Live And Die in L.A.

Sorcerer to me, is Friedkin's best film. I love it.
Haven't seen this film and not interested BUT I wanted to chip in and second the above statement.
Sorcerer is a great film and absolutely worth watching :thumbsup:

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Haven't seen this film and not interested BUT I wanted to chip in and second the above statement.
Sorcerer is a great film and absolutely worth watching :thumbsup:
Yes, utterly obliterated at the BO by opening at the same time as Star Wars, Sorcerer is stunning.

I put it in that same category of films like Apocalypse Now, where real stunts and practical on-location sets nearly swallowed up the production. They're films which just wouldn't get made these day (arguably Waterworld's in there too), some might argue for good reason, but either way we'll never see films like this again, which is probably why we should celebrate Tarantino and Scorsese as much as we can whilst we've still got a couple of classic directors who command the budget to do impressive things outside of a franchise.

Hell, even Friedkin's driving/chase sequences in French Connection, To Live and Die in LA (and even Jade and Hunted) probably wouldn't get made today outside of a franchise (c.f. Winter Soldier, Rogue Nation).

Jessica Noir

Jade has an absolute belter of a car chase, absolutely the highlight of a otherwise baffling 'erotic' thriller. When Friedkin is on form, few can touch him. The French Connection and To Live and Die in LA chases feel dangerous to watch. Like the characters, you're too scared to look in the rearview mirror to see the carnage they have left.

Really hoped Killer Joe would bring Friedkin back into directing, but I guess the modern studio system doesn't have a place for him. Hell, Fincher hasn't made a film since Gone Girl and that was massive hit.