Arrow Video Discussion Thread

Have you seen my comments on the picture quality problem? There is a flash across the top of the picture every time there is an edit. Given the dark nature of the picture here it is very distracting. Systemdead posted this screen capture.
View attachment 697339

It may not look too bad from that pic but it is. I had to give up watching straight away. I emailed Arrow over the weekend and I will let you know of their reply.

Bri
It hadn't registered that it was Massacre Gun. Please do let me know how Arrow respond.

Here's Arrow's response to the Massacre Gun picture issue.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

We are indeed aware of these apparent splices at the top of the picture. This was a classic case of splices vs picture information. As the first distributor in the world to bring the film out on Blu-ray, we did the best we could with the film elements made available by Nikkatsu. After evaluation, we decided to leave the splices visible in order to expose as much of the frame as possible. The same approach was taken on Arrow's previous Nikkatsu releases, and seems to have been accepted by most our viewers.

We sincerely apologise if this isn't your case.

Best wishes,

Nora Mehenni

I'm afraid I'll have to return my copy. The problem is way too distracting. I'd have much rather had a little less picture.

Bri

^
Cant say i ever noticed the problem on Criterion’s Nikkatsu Noir collection

To say the least I was very disappointed with Arrow's response. I found this with a clip of one of his films within that collection.

Eclipse Series 17: Nikkatsu Noir - The Criterion Collection

The problem isn't there. I'll probably get back to Arrow on this but I suspect it'll be a waste of time. Has anyone watched a Nikkatsu title with this problem and got away with it?

Bri

Why would you expect to see it in the Criterion set when they are different films?

Why would you expect to see it in the Criterion set when they are different films?

Arrow suggested that all of of their Nikkatsu films had this issue and few of of their customers complained. I meant has anyone sat through one of these films with the problem and been ok with it.

Bri

Again, still different films than those released by Criterion. The problem with these was worth the elements they had to work with. Whether or not it annoys you friends entirely in your tolerance for such things, but I'm generally more forgiving when it comes to niche titles. Most reviews mentioned it at the time if I recall correctly.

Again, still different films than those released by Criterion. The problem with these was worth the elements they had to work with. Whether or not it annoys you friends entirely in your tolerance for such things, but I'm generally more forgiving when it comes to niche titles. Most reviews mentioned it at the time if I recall correctly.

I have very many films on DVD and Blu. I do't have a single film that is any where near as bad as this. The problem would stop me keeping any title regardless of whether it was niche or mainstream. It was impossible to watch for more than a few minutes. Have you seen it? If so what did you make of the film itself. Obviously I haven't seen much of it but I thought it looked like it could be pretty good.

Bri

I have seen some of it, but I started watching it late one night and fell asleep. I need to go back and finish watching it, but it's just one of many Japanese Arrow releases that I have to get through. I did see the splices and admittedly they are quite big, but they're not present at every scene change and literally last for one frame at a time so I can live with them. If they had been encoding errors rather than film artefacts it would be a different story, but Arrow did the best with the available materials so don't feel it's right to be too critical. Had Arrow cropped the image it would possibly have attracted entirely different criticism anyway. I actually think the image has more troublesome issues than the splices though. It's not the best looking third-party master, but again that's down the original elements.

***SHIVERS REPLACEMENT PROGRAMME MEGA UPDATE***

The time has come – our replacement programme for SHIVERS is now open! So here is quite a lot of information to communicate to you guys so please make sure that you read all of the relevant parts of this post to avoid any confusion. We have also included a handy FAQ at the bottom of this post which should answer any queries.

So first up, if you’ve ordered a copy of Shivers direct via the Arrow Store skip down to the ***DIRECT ORDERS VIA THE ARROW STORE*** section. For anybody who has ordered elsewhere (be it online, in store, at a convention/event etc.) please continue reading.

So the replacement programme is now up and running! To obtain your replacement disc please head to the following link and follow all of the instructions on screen: http://bit.ly/1RR2g4W

Once you’ve filled in the form successfully you will receive a confirmation email that your discs will be dispatched. Please note: This is NOT an automated email, but will be sent to you within 24 hours of submitting your information so please be patient and also check you spam folders. Then all you need to do is sit back, relax and wait for your discs to arrive!

If you do have any issues, please contact [email protected] with “SHIVERS” in the subject heading of the email and our team will get back to you as soon as they can.

--------------------------------------------------------------
*******DIRECT ORDERS VIA THE ARROW STORE*******
If you have ordered a copy of the film direct via our store, you should have received an email confirming your replacement discs (both Blu-ray and DVD) have already been dispatched to you via Royal Mail 2nd Class service. The most recent delivery address that was in your account has been used for this shipment (if your information has changed, or you have not received this email, please contact [email protected]). If you are based in the UK and have not received your discs by April 18th, 2016, please contact [email protected] and we will do our best to see to your request. International customers please allow longer for delivery. When emailing be sure to include “SHIVERS” in the subject heading of the email, or respond directly the email our team have sent out to you.
--------------------------------------------------------------

And there we have it! If you have any additional questions that aren’t covered here or in the FAQ below do let us know! As you may have noticed we've also included a handy video comparison in this post so you can see what has been added.

Thanks for taking the time to read this monster of a post and we hope that you all enjoy the uncut SHIVERS!

***FAQ***
Q: How do I get a copy of my replacement discs for SHIVERS?
A: If you have purchased your copy of SHIVERS from the Arrow Webstore, your replacement discs have been dispatched automatically with the information we have in your Arrow account. If you have not received your disc by April 18th, 2016, please contact [email protected].

If you have bought your copy of SHIVERS, whether the regular Arrow Video dual-format edition or the SteelBook edition from another outlet, please fill out the form here: http://bit.ly/1RR2g4W Once you have provided your mailing address and your proof of purchase, we will send you a confirmation email that your replacement discs have been dispatched.

Q: What if I no longer have my proof of purchase?
A: Please write the date and your full name on the face of your SHIVERS discs, and upload a photo in the proof of purchase section in the form available here: http://bit.ly/1RR2g4W. This will count as your proof of purchase, and we will send a confirmation email once your discs have been dispatched.

Q: How long will it take my replacement disc to arrive?
A: If you are in the UK, please allow for 3-5 days for shipping, and 7-10 days for all other countries.

Q: Will I receive both the Blu-ray and DVD of the uncut SHIVERS?
A: Yes, as both the regular Arrow Video release and the SteelBook editions were dual format, you will be receiving Blu-ray and DVD replacement discs in the same package.

Q: How do I tell if I have a replacement disc?
A: On the outer edge of the disc, it will read “2nd PRESSING” which indicates it is the full and uncut version of SHIVERS.

Received my replacement discs today direct from arrow

July announcements from Arrow :)

Satan's Blade - 11th July 2016
Link: Satan's Blade

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
  • Brand new 2K restoration of the film presented in both 4:3 (1.37:1) and 1.85:1 versions

• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations

• Original Mono audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)

• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing

• Brand new audio commentary by podcast The Hysteria Continues

• Interview with writer-director L. Scott Castillo, Jr.

• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Matt Ryan Tobin

• Fully-illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Brian Albright, author of Regional Horror Films, 1958-1990

The Swinging Cheerleaders - 4th July 2016
Link: The Swinging Cheerleaders Dual Format Blu-ray + DVD

A favourite of Quentin Tarantino makes its Blu-ray debut!

DIRECTOR- APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
  • Brand new 2K restoration from original film materials

• High Definition (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD Presentations

• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing

• Audio commentary by writer-director Jack Hill, recorded exclusively for this release

• Brand new interview with Jack Hill

• Archive interview with cinematographer Alfred Taylor

• Archive interview with Hill and Johnny Legend

• Q&A with Hill, and actors Colleen Camp and Rosanne Katon recorded at the New Beverly Cinema in 2012

• TV spots

• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys

Crimes of Passion - 11th July 2016
Link: Crimes Of Passion Dual Format Blu-ray + DVD

Maybe the most outrageous film Ken Russell ever made!

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
  • Brand new 2K restoration of the film from original film materials

• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations of the director’s cut and unrated versions of the film

• Optional subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing

• Audio commentary with director Ken Russell and producer-screenwriter Barry Sandler

• Seven deleted/extended scenes with optional commentary by Sandler

• Brand-new interview with Sandler recorded especially for this release

• Home movie footage of Ken Russell visiting Florida for a retrospective screening of Crimes of Passion at the 2009 Orlando Film Festival

• Theatrical trailer

• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Twins of Evil

• Illustrated booklet containing new writing by Ken Russell’s biographer, Paul Sutton, correspondence between Russell and Kathleen Turner, and an on-set interview with Russell

Female Prisoner Scorpion: The Complete Collection - 25th July 2016
Link: Female Prisoner Scorpion: The Complete Collection

The pinnacle of early 1970s exploitation cinema from Japanese grindhouse studio Toei.

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
  • Limited Edition Blu-ray collection (3000 copies)

• Brand new 2K restorations of all four films in the series presented on High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD

• Original mono audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-rays) for all films

• Optional English subtitles for all films

• Double-sided fold out poster of two original artworks

• Reversible sleeves for all films featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Ian MacEwan

• Booklet featuring an extract from Unchained Melody: The Films of Meiko Kaji, an upcoming book on the star by critic and author Tom Mes, an archive interview with Meiko Kaji, and a brand new interview with Toru Shinohara, creator of the original Female Prisoner Scorpion manga

FEMALE PRISONER #701: SCORPION
  • Newly filmed appreciation by filmmaker Gareth Evans (The Raid)

• Archive interview with director Shunya Ito

• New interview with assistant director Yutaka Kohira

• Theatrical Trailers for all films in the series

FEMALE PRISONER SCORPION: JAILHOUSE 41
  • Newly filmed appreciation by critic Kier-La Janisse

• Japanese cinema critic Jasper Sharp looks over the career of Shunya Ito

• New interview with production designer Tadayuki Kuwana

• Original Theatrical Trailer

FEMALE PRISONER SCORPION: BEAST STABLE
  • Newly filmed appreciation by critic Kat Ellinger

• Archive interview with director Shunya Ito

• New visual essay on the career of star and icon Meiko Kaji by critic Tom Mes

FEMALE PRISONER SCORPION: #701’s GRUDGE SONG
  • Newly filmed appreciation by filmmaker Kazuyoshi Kumakiri (Kichiku: Banquet of the Beasts)

• Archive interview with director Yasuharu Hasebe

• Japanese cinema critic Jasper Sharp looks over the career of Yasuharu Hasebe

• Visual essay on the Scorpion series by critic Tom Mes

Arrow Academy announcements on Monday 11th April :)

Attachments

• Satan's Blade.jpg
    Satan's Blade.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 42
  • TSC.jpg
    TSC.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 54
  • CoP.jpg
    CoP.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 56
  • FPS-TCC.jpg
    FPS-TCC.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Not difficult to see why those edits were missed at the QC stage. Hardly entire scenes cut out there. Still, worth taking advantage of the replacement programme if you can.

Crimes of Passion for me.
Anthony Perkins is way OTT in this one.

Most of those films don't appeal to me either...except Crimes Of Passion. Not my type of film but could be enjoyable sleaze..

Crimes of Passion for me.
Anthony Perkins is way OTT in this one.

Another one that had UK censorship issues including the cinema release and later on the home video VHS release where there were further disputes between the BBFC and director Ken Russell.

Let's hope Arrow source an uncut copy with no Shivers-like issues on this release.

Immortal dialogue:

Kathleen Turner appears dressed in a skimpy air stewardess uniform for a client...

"I'm sorry sir, we're all out of Pan Am coffee, but we have plenty of TWA tea." :)

Last edited:
Female Prisoner Scorpion for me - Meiko Kaji! :)

Released just in time for my birthday too, nice.

I'd had some time away from Arrow Video (and buying blus in general) so I'm psyched by the great stuff that's been released over the past couple years, I'm gonna enjoy catching up.

Actually the Arrow site states FPS's release date as: 25th April 2016 ?

Another one that had UK censorship issues including the cinema release and later on the home video VHS release where there were further disputes between the BBFC and director Ken Russell.

Let's hope Arrow source an uncut copy with no Shivers-like issues on this release.

Immortal dialogue:

Kathleen Turner appears dressed in a skimpy air stewardess uniform for a client...

"I'm sorry sir, we're all out of Pan Am coffee, but we have plenty of TWA tea." :)

Class :)

July announcements from Arrow Part 2 :)

Effi Briest (Arrow Academy) - 18th July 2016
Link: Effi Briest

One of Rainer Werner Fassbinder’s most ambitious films, adapted from the novel by Theodor Fontaine.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
  • Brand new 4K restoration of the films from original camera negatives
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
  • Original uncompressed PCM mono audio
  • Optional English subtitles
  • Audio commentary by Ken Moulden
  • Newly-filmed interview with actor Ulli Lommel
  • Newly-filmed interview with director of photography Jürgen Jürges
  • Theatrical trailer

Fox and His Friends & Chinese Roulette (Arrow Academy) - 18th July 2016
Link: Fox and His Friends & Chinese Roulette

Two of Rainer Werner Fassbinder’s lesser-known and most singular works.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
  • Brand new 4K restorations of the films from original camera negatives
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentations
  • Original uncompressed PCM mono audio
  • Optional English subtitles on both films
  • Audio commentary by Hamish Ford on Fox and His Friends
  • Newly-filmed interview with actor Ulli Lommel on Chinese Roulette
  • Original theatrical trailers

The Ox-Bow Incident (Arrow Academy) - 4th July 2016
Link: The Ox-Bow Incident

Clint Eastwood’s favourite film in a new 4K restoration!

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
  • New 4K digital restoration by Twentieth Century Fox
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
  • Uncompressed Mono 1.0 PCM Audio
  • Audio commentary by American West historian Dick Etulain and William Wellman Jr
  • Introduction by Peter Stanfield, author of Hollywood, Westerns and the 1930s: The Lost Trail andHorse Opera: The Strange History of the Singing Cowboy
  • Scene-select commentaries by Stanfield
  • Henry Fonda: Hollywood’s Quiet Hero, a 45-minute documentary on the actor from the Biography series
  • Stills gallery
  • Theatrical trailer
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Vladimir Zimakov
  • Fully illustrated collector’s booklet containing new writing by Nick Pinkerton

That completes July :)

Attachments

• EB.png
    EB.png
    978.7 KB · Views: 43
  • FHFCR.png
    FHFCR.png
    978.7 KB · Views: 40
  • TOI.jpg
    TOI.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 42
I remember reading an interview with Russell where he said his film was an explration of sexuality and morality, with more emphasis on sexuality. Thanks to the US censors they turned the film into a poor, incoherent 'slasher' film. The american censors being less sensitive about the violence in the film as opposed to making heavy cuts to the sexual content. Russell's intentions for the film sounded vastly supperior to the theatrical release we were presented with. I like Ken Russell but if Arrow are only releasing the TC then I'm not wasting my money. If how ever they've somehow managed to pull together a directors cut, then it's a day one purchase for me.

If anyone has a hankering for superior Russell on BD then you can't go wrong with the following:

The Ken Russell Collection: The Great Composers Dual Format Edition DVD: Amazon.co.uk: Oliver Reed, Huw Wheldon, Ken Russell: DVD & Blu-ray

The Ken Russell Collection: The Great Passions Dual Format Edition DVD: Amazon.co.uk: Vivian Pickles, Oliver Reed, Ken Russell: DVD & Blu-ray

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1190723654294960&substory_index=0&id=124795987554404&refid=17&_ft_=top_level_post_id.1190723654294960%3Atl_objid.1190723654294960&__tn__=%2As

(For those that hate Facebook, Arrow have announced a new streaming service via iTunes and Amazon)

Hopefully this doesn't symbolise Arrow moving away from physical media.......:(

Am sure it won't.
It won't, Criterion went digital in the US via a deal with Hulu years ago and it's had no effect on their physical media output.

August announcements from Arrow :)

David Cronenberg's Early Works - 1st August 2016
Link: David Cronenberg’s Early Works Blu-ray

Transfer (1966), From the Drain (1967), Stereo (1969) and In Crimes of the Future (1970)

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
  • Brand new restorations of four Cronenberg films
  • Original mono audio for all films
  • Optional english subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Transfer the Future – Author and critic Kim Newman discusses Cronenberg’s early works
  • Sleeve featuring newly illustrated artwork by Gilles Vranckx

The Count Yorga Collection - 8th August 2016
Link: The Complete Count Yorga Blu-ray

• High Definition digital transfers of both Yorga films, from original film elements by MGM
  • Original mono audio
  • Audio commentary on Count Yorga, Vampire by David Del Valle
  • Audio commentary on The Return of Count Yorga by David Del Valle
  • Interview with critic and author Kim Newman
  • Theatrical trailers
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys
First pressing only: Booklet featuring new writing on the films by Frank Collins

Battles Without Honour and Humanity (Volumes 1-5 Released individually) - 8th August 2016
Links....

The Yakuza Papers: Battles Without Honour And Humanity
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation
  • Brand new audio commentary by critic and author Stuart Galbraith IV
  • Yakuza Graveyard – a new interview with Takashi Miike about Kinji Fukasaku and the yakuza film genre
  • Original trailers for all five films
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Reinhard Kleist

The Yakuza Papers: Hiroshima Death Match
  • Man of Action – a new interview with series fight choreographer Ryuzo Ueno
  • Original trailer
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Reinhard Kleist

The Yakuza Papers: Proxy War
  • Secrets of the Piranha Army – a new documentary about the troupe of supporting actors who appeared throughout the series, featuring interviews with original Piranha members Masaru Shiga and Takashi Noguchi, plus second-generation Piranha, Takashi Nishina and Akira Murota
  • Tales of a Bit Player – a new interview with supporting actor and stuntman Seizo Fukumoto
  • Original trailer

The Yakuza Papers: Police Tactics
  • Remembering Kinji – a new featurette about director Kinji Fukasaku and his work, featuring interviews with Kenta Fukasaku and film critic and Fukasaku biographer Sadao Yamane
  • Fukasaku Family – a new interview with Proxy War and Police Tactics assistant director Toru Dobashi
  • Original trailer

The Yakuza Papers: Final Episode
  • Last Days of the Boss – a new interview with Final Episode screenwriter Koji Takada
  • Original poster gallery for the series
  • Original trailer

Attachments

• DAVID CRONENBERG EARLY WORKS.jpg
    DAVID CRONENBERG EARLY WORKS.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 34
  • COUNT YORGA COLLECTION.jpg
    COUNT YORGA COLLECTION.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 37
  • BATTLES WITHOUT.jpg
    BATTLES WITHOUT.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 34
  • HIROSHIMA DEATH MATCH.jpg
    HIROSHIMA DEATH MATCH.jpg