Arrow Video Discussion Thread

Killer Tomatoes with the lovely Tara.

June announcements from Arrow - Part 2 :)

Too Late for Tears (Arrow Academy) - 13th June 2016
Link: Too Late for Tears Dual Format Blu-ray + DVD

Passionately championed by the Film Noir Foundation and newly transferred from archive elements by UCLA Film & Television Archive, Too Late for Tears is presented on home video for the first time in the UK.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:

• Brand new restoration of original 35mm vault elements by UCLA Film & Television Archive
  • Presented in High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD
  • Original mono audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Audio Commentary by writer, historian, and film programmer Alan K. Rode
  • Chance Of A Lifetime: The Making of Too Late For Tears – a new behind-the-scenes examination of the film’s original production produced by Steven Smith and the Film Noir Foundation and featuring noir experts Eddie Muller, Kim Morgan, and Julie Kirgo
  • Tiger Hunt: Restoring Too Late For Tears – a chronicle of the multi-year mission to rescue this “lost” noir classic produced by Steven Smith and the Film Noir Foundation
  • Gallery featuring rare photographs, poster art and original lobby cards
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Matt Griffin
  • Booklet featuring new writing by writer and noir expert Brian Light

Woman on the Run (Arrow Academy) - 13th June 2016
Link: Woman on the Run Dual Format Blu-ray & DVD

Restored by the Film Noir Foundation in conjunction with UCLA Film & Television Archive, Woman on the Run is finally made available in the UK for the first time on DVD and Blu-ray.

• Brand new restoration of original 35mm vault elements by UCLA Film & Television Archive
  • Presented in High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD
  • Original mono audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Audio Commentary by author, historian, and “noirchaeologist” Eddie Muller
  • Love is a Rollercoaster: Woman on the Run Revisited – a new featurette on the making of the film, from script to noir classic, produced by Steven Smith and the Film Noir Foundation
  • A Wild Ride: Restoring Woman on the Run – a stranger-than-fiction document of the film’s restoration, produced by Steven Smith and the Film Noir Foundation
  • Noir City – a short documentary directed by Joe Talbot about the annual Noir City Film Festival presented by the Film Noir Foundation at San Francisco’s historic Castro Theatre
  • Gallery featuring rare photographs, poster art and original lobby cards
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Matt Griffin
  • Booklet featuring new writing by Eddie Muller

Three Films by Paolo & Vittorio Taviani [Padre Padrone, The Night of the Shooting Stars and Kaos] (Arrow Academy) - 27th June 2016
Link: Three Films by Paolo & Vittorio Taviani [Padre Padrone, The Night of the Shooting Stars, Kaos] Limited Edition Dual Format Blu-ray & DVD

Arrow Academy is proud to present these three masterpieces in brand new director-approved 2K restorations.

• Limited Edition Collection [3,000 Copies]
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of all films from brand new director-approved 2K restorations, with Kaos also approved by its original cinematographer Giuseppe Lanci
  • Original mono audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-rays)
  • Optional newly-translated English subtitles for all films
  • Brand new two-hour interview with Paolo & Vittorio Taviani
  • Video essays on individual films by leading Italian film scholar Millicent Marcus
  • Commentary on The Night of the Shooting Stars by critic Michael Brooke
  • The Sublime Brothers: Michael Brooke looks at the Tavianis’ illustrious career, now into its seventh decade
  • High Definition stills galleries for all three films
  • Trailers for the new restorations
  • Reversible sleeves featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Matt Griffin
  • Exclusive 100-page book featuring Pauline Kael’s reviews of all three films and brand new (in some cases world premiere) translations of the Pirandello short stories that were adapted for Kaos.

That completes June.

Attachments

• TLFT.jpg
    TLFT.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 43
  • WOTR.jpg
    WOTR.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 33
  • PVTSet.jpg
    PVTSet.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Yesterday I attempted to watch Massacre Gun but there's white line flashes across the picture every time there's a change of scene or angle. Is this edit flash? It's extremely distracting. Has anyone else noticed this or know of this. Are Arrow fixing the problem or are we just supposed to put up with it? The DVD in the set is the same.

Bri

Tonight was Theatre Of Blood. The sound was very dull and quiet. I had to turn the sound considerably to make out the dialogue. Towards the end the sound cut out altogether but played when I went back to the cut out point. Very strange.

Bri

Tonight was Theatre Of Blood. The sound was very dull and quiet. I had to turn the sound considerably to make out the dialogue. Towards the end the sound cut out altogether but played when I went back to the cut out point. Very strange.

Bri
On Antiques Road show last night(did this inspire you to watch it Bri?) they had some one with the poster for it and said in its condition would be worth £300-£400.
TOB.jpg

Bri
Dont remember any sound issues when I watched it.

Dont remember any sound issues when I watched it.

Have you still got it? If so would it be possible for you to check it? I'll give mine another go on another player when I get a chance. It was really bad sound and would have been impossible to miss. I really had to turn the volume up loud. I was a bit worried that I might forget to turn it down again before I put something else on. I'd have sent the speakers into orbit.

Bri

On Antiques Road show last night(did this inspire you to watch it Bri?) they had some one with the poster for it and said in its condition would be worth £300-£400.
View attachment 696950

No it's because many of these Arrow titles are on offer in HMV at the moment. They're in the 5 for £30 offer.

Bri

Have you still got it? If so would it be possible for you to check it? I'll give mine another go on another player when I get a chance. It was really bad sound and would have been impossible to miss. I really had to turn the volume up loud. I was a bit worried that I might forget to turn it down again before I put something else on. I'd have sent the speakers into orbit.

Bri
I'll check mine out tonight mate and see if there are any sound issues.

Cheers for that. After Jim's reply there's a bit of a worry that the problem is down to my gear.

Bri
No problem mate. it is on my to watch pile so I'll just move it to the top.

Bri

Hopefully I can check it later but trust me, if there was anything like the sort of problems you have described, I would have started a new post here and sent it back etc! I saw it not long after release as I pre-ordered the steelbook.

I've put on TOB again. I put it on my old Panasonic BD & Freeview unit which I now just use to watch tv and record BDs and DVDs. The sound was still quite poor and I had to turn it up but it was no where near as bad as last night. The sound was well out of sync though and I would have had to adjust it if I was watching properly.

I transferred it back to my new(ish) Pioneer which I'd used last night. Aside from the lip sync issue it was the same as the Panasonic. Many years ago I used to have lots of sound issues. This was when I started up a disc before I switched over to the gear I was watching it on. The idea was to avoid the rubbish at the start of discs and go straight to the play option. I stopped doing that because of those problems but I've started doing it again as it didn't appear to be an issue anymore. I think the problem must have resurfaced again last night.

I still think the sound is pretty poor but at least I could make it out without having to crank the volume up. It also played through the point where it cut out last night. I'll go back to switching to BD before I load the disc.

Bri

The 'expert' also referred to this (more than once) as a Hammer Horror film. Which it isn't!
Yes he did make that gaff, although Vincent appeared a number of times with Peter Cushing And Christopher Lee he as far as Id say, never was in a Hammer film.
I bet this upset some pet owners who saw the film, although I read some one who hates the breed thought it was cool.
Poo.jpg

Watched my Theatre of Blood recently Brian and no sound issues.

Watched my Theatre of Blood recently Brian and no sound issues.
Meant to post last night but no sound issues here either.

Not even slightly poor sound? As I said there was a vast improvement when I loaded it after I'd switched to the BD input on the amp and monitor but I still could've wished for better. Maybe if I'd actually being watching the film again properly I wouldn't have been as harsh.

Many thanks to both of you for checking.

:smashin:
Bri

So HMV have cancelled my Massacre Gun order [emoji35]

Anyone willing to help a fella out and get one in Fopp (alas, we have none on the island of Ireland) and post it to me?

Anyone willing to help a fella out and get one in Fopp (alas, we have none on the island of Ireland) and post it to me?

Have you seen my comments on the picture quality problem? There is a flash across the top of the picture every time there is an edit. Given the dark nature of the picture here it is very distracting. Systemdead posted this screen capture.
vlcsnap-2016-03-25-21h23m29s052.png

It may not look too bad from that pic but it is. I had to give up watching straight away. I emailed Arrow over the weekend and I will let you know of their reply.

Bri

I can help fella - I'm not going to be heading into town til next week but I don't mind picking one up for you. If someone else beats me to it, just let me know via PM.

Not even slightly poor sound? As I said there was a vast improvement when I loaded it after I'd switched to the BD input on the amp and monitor but I still could've wished for better. Maybe if I'd actually being watching the film again properly I wouldn't have been as harsh.

Many thanks to both of you for checking.

:smashin:
Bri
I only have a soundbar but I never had to adjust the settings on it.

I can help fella - I'm not going to be heading into town til next week but I don't mind picking one up for you. If someone else beats me to it, just let me know via PM.
Cheers squire! Will let you know if I source one sooner.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom