1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arrow Season 5 Blu-ray Review & Comments

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by Phil Hinton, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,133
    2. rhino2k

rhino2k

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,050
      Afternoon Cas,

I have not actually watched any of Arrow on BR yet but definitely agree some of the characters seem to be getting carried along. I see you mentioned a vigilante reveal? I do not recall any reveal?

Many thanks as always for the review :smashin:

3. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,133
      Sorry mate it was poorly phrased; I meant that the Prometheus reveal would have been less contrived if it had been the Vigilante reveal instead (like in the comics iirc), you're right the continuing mystery on V is quite nice and unusual for a show like this but I wonder whether they threw him in just to misdirect comic fans away from guessing P's identity...

4. rhino2k

rhino2k

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,050
      No worries mate :) Thought I had missed something there :laugh:

I will not be surprised if V becomes another season of flashbacks :rotfl: Or he could just be some random guy to make a change! P was a surprise, Must admit I did not see it coming!

5. Batdog

Batdog

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +444
      I'm constantly tempted to get into the DC tv shows and I suppose Arrow is where I should start.

Out of interest, you describe Arrow as "DC's oldest and strongest tv offering" but your review of the latest Flash season describes that as "arguably the best of DC's generally excellent small screen adaptions". Which do you prefer and where does Supergirl rate compared to these shows?

6. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,133
      Tough question! You should defo start with Arrow, it's the backbone to the whole lot of them, which is why I describe it as the strongest in spite of what's been lacking this time around. Flash is a better ensemble; better crafted with better villains and a better emotional undercurrent. And it actually manages to be fun too. It hasn't been around as long so, arguably, you could pit the first two seasons of Flash against the first two seasons of Arrow more evenly, and of course we have no idea what to expect from, say, the fifth season of Flash because it could easily continue to deteriorate, but, at the moment, it's arguably the best. Supergirl is unusual in that, despite having a pretty weak entourage, she's still Supergirl - and kind of has that innocence, purity and strength of resolve and commitment that we haven't seen from the moody incarnation of Superman in a while. And they've got Martian Manhunter in with her too, who is a totally underrated Justice Leaguer. The only one I'm struggling with is Legends, which is a shame during the crossovers.

It really depends how much time you have but, if you can, do it in order (and don't miss Gotham either).

7. brian s

brian s
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,385
      Cas I can just confirm you had little or no problem with the dialogue on this. I'm struggling a lot of the time to make out what they're saying. It's the normal speaking as well as the growls and the voice encoder bits. I've just had to buy a new amp and it could be I need to tweak it a bit but I'm not experiencing the problem on other material including The Flash and Supergirl. I've just checked the wiring to make certain I didn't make a daft error.

Bri

8. brian s

brian s
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,385
      If you do dive into these series I'd recommend watching them in order of transmission as they do crossover a lot. The second season of Arrow sets up The Flash. Season three of Arrow and one of Flash start setting up for Legends Of Tomorrow. Then there are two episodes in the next seasons that properly kick off Legends. Supergirl was made for a different network so the first season wasn't connected with the others but there was still a Flash crossover in the first season. You would most likely get away with that one on it's own.

My favourite is Legends with The Flash as a close second. Flash has several tie ins to the 1990 Flash series. Watching that original series is not essential to your enjoyment of the new version but I really enjoy the references to it.

Bri

9. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,133
      No Bri dialogue was fine for me, and Arrow (in particular the title character) is one of the most growly mumbling shows on the block.

10. brian s

brian s
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,385
      Cheers Cas

I wonder what my problem is then? When I get a chance I'll put on an episode from a previous season. I didn't have any issues with them.

Bri

11. Evokazz

Evokazz

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +469
      I actually love Legends and rate it better than Arrow. Arrow started off great, but by season 3 Oliver was a wet lettuce and the whole show became dull, the fight scenes are all the same and it's just a mess. Flash is superb and while Supergirl is very campy and light hearted, it's fun. Legends reminds me of Quantum Leap, not the best, out of them, but deffo a blast.

12. brian s

brian s
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,385
      Indeed Legends and Flash are great fun series and the Arrow fight scenes can be very samey. They are so intertwined though. Even though I'm having trouble hearing the dialogue I'm quite enjoying this season so far.

Bri