Arrogant clowns in government

Reese Withouterspoon

Distinguished Member
I daresay the "banker" thinks he knows better than this medical practitioner too...

1625677210482.png

... but probably just because he's Australian. ;)

Laureline

When did we start listening to WHO (China says there's nothing to worry from Covid) again ?

Listening to doctors is fine, but it should be remembered if they had their way, there would be no alcohol or tobacco sales, food would be bland because everything that gave it taste would be removed and practically every sport would be banned because of some feared possible effect much later in life.

Laureline

If this exponential growth continues, July 19th easing will have to be cancelled, won't it?

As lockdown has to be extended by a vote in Parliament I don't think he has the votes to actually extend it and he's probably more scared of the backlash from his own party should he try.

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
I daresay the "banker" thinks he knows better than this medical practitioner too...

View attachment 1538848
... but probably just because he's Australian. ;)

a dr on Twitter doesn’t have to take the whole country and financial implications on board .

yes locking down for longer makes sense on a medical level but there are more concerns than just that for the government .

being in government is difficult

RichmondBlue

a dr on Twitter doesn’t have to take the whole country and financial implications on board .

yes locking down for longer makes sense on a medical level but there are more concerns than just that for the government .

And it doesn’t take a genius to guess what those other concerns are.
We are not really locked down anyway, are we ? A lot of businesses are doing well with the current restrictions.
Why is the government so desperate to end social distancing and mask wearing within a couple of weeks with covid cases still rising rapidly ? And why the push to end working from home when a lot of businesses are finding this no problem ?

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
We are not really locked down anyway, are we ? A lot of businesses are doing well with the current restrictions.
Why is the government so desperate to end social distancing and mask wearing within a couple of weeks with covid cases still rising rapidly ? And why the push to end working from home when a lot of businesses are finding this no problem ?

So dismissive of the thousands of businesses that aren’t doing well and have or are going gone to the wall .

many businesses can’t work from home

Yes the government is looking at it from a financial level but they are responsible for paying for public services so no surprise there

its a balancing act

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
It seems that no one here has a problem with the SNP lying about what savid javid actually said but hypocritically has a problem with how he rebuked it .

I despair about the political debate if everything is black or white with no nuance

Video Nasty

Like I've been saying for years.

These people (Tories) don't think they are better than us, they KNOW they are better than us.

To them (and others to be fair) a few hundred thousand dead is probably a price worth paying to get the money flowing.

niceguy1966

Distinguished Member
When did we start listening to WHO (China says there's nothing to worry from Covid) again ?

Listening to doctors is fine, but it should be remembered if they had their way, there would be no alcohol or tobacco sales, food would be bland because everything that gave it taste would be removed and practically every sport would be banned because of some feared possible effect much later in life.
No doctor I've spoken to has suggested anything like what you write. You must be listening to some very special doctors.

Don't forget to take your pills.

Laureline

A lot of people (1.5 million) are still receiving furlough so some businesses are still not doing well.

At the start of July the UK Govt reduced its support by 10% requiring the companies to make up that 10%. The level falls by a further 10% in August, a further 10% on Sept 1st and ends on Sept 30th.

If the company can't afford to make up the difference then it'll have to let people go.

So it's a little too early to say a lot of businesses are doing well when many are still on life support.

Laureline

No doctor I've spoken to has suggested anything like what you write. You must be listening to some very special doctors.

Don't forget to take your pills.
Anyone whose argument is "no one I've spoken to says this" is basically saying "Everyone I know thinks like me"

Just to show that Doctors like to ban things that other people enjoy. So maybe the doctors you talk to aren't representative ?

Last edited:

niceguy1966

Distinguished Member
A lot of people (1.5 million) are still receiving furlough so some businesses are still not doing well.

At the start of July the UK Govt reduced its support by 10% requiring the companies to make up that 10%. The level falls by a further 10% in August, a further 10% on Sept 1st and ends on Sept 30th.

If the company can't afford to make up the difference then it'll have to let people go.

So it's a little too early to say a lot of businesses are doing well when many are still on life support.
Insolvencies are lower during Covid than in a normal year. The obvious conclusion is that failing companies are being kept afloat by tax payers money.

1625724027566.png

sunlituplands

Fair enough, how many deaths in consequence would you consider acceptable between now and next April. 15,000 or 50,000?

They are only people after all and people are replaceable of course, it's the economy that counts.

RobinOfLoxley

I noticed yesterday evening that 67,000 people in close proximity at some football match were fist bumping (good) but also hugging and other close contact (bad)

Also, face masks were generally not worn (very bad)

Are they mad? For their own health as well as risk to others during a very virulent surge in cases

D

Deleted member 898080

Like I've been saying for years.

These people (Tories) don't think they are better than us, they KNOW they are better than us.

To them (and others to be fair) a few hundred thousand dead is probably a price worth paying to get the money flowing.
Just wait till all the international sports are finished and more people feel a bit more confident with double jabs, then going into the winter, I can see a huge backlash at this overconfident government on into next year. And if they lift too many restrictions too quick and we end up losing ground this government will cause chaos imo.

D

Deleted member 898080

Anyone whose argument is "no one I've spoken to says this" is basically saying "Everyone I know thinks like me"

Just to show that Doctors like to ban things that other people enjoy. So maybe the doctors you talk to aren't representative ?

Boxing etc has been controversial for some time. As far as I'm aware, sports of different kinds are recommended by doctors as healthy as well as exercise.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

StormAudio launches ISP Core 16 AV processor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cabasse launches limited edition Pearl Pelegrina speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 22nd September 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Creative introduces Sound Blaster Katana V2 soundbar