Arris Freesat 4K - SD channels all have picture freezing

agrc53

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have had an Arris 4k 1Tb box for a week now,. Yesterday all the SD channels started having picture freeze when watching.
i.e. the picture frezzes for a second then jumps to live again, the sound continues fine without a glitch?
SD recordings are worse, they have jumps in both picture and sound.
HD channels all seem fine.
Anyone else had this problem?

Could be an LNB issue. Can you try another device?

Thanks, I thought that, but why would HD be ok and SD not. HD uses more bandwidth.
Strangely it's started behaving ok again. I wondered if the HDD has some bad sectors and they've now been taken out of the pool?. There's no disk utilities on the box to check th HDD.
I'll see if it recures. And play with the lnb, Iv'e got a Visiblewave Hybrid LNB 6 Output with the box on the Wideband outputs.

Sorry if you already did this, but my Arris device needed a reboot about once/week.
I'd have to physically unplug the power from it, give it 3 seconds & then plug in again.

Thanks, yep I've tried that a few times. I'm contemplating doing a factory reset.

I’ve had loads of problems with a Freesat 1TB box (in fact it’s my second - I took the first back to Richer Sounds). I’ve had to buy an adaptor from Amazon to cope with “handshaking” issues, because my five-year-old TV couldn’t cope with the HDMI 2.2 signal and was showing a black screen on startup. The adaptor converts the signal to HDMI 1.4, which my TV can cope with.

However, the picture has been skipping on BBC One HD and Two HD. During Match of the Day there were six times in 30 seconds when it was jumping and it was the same on non-action shows (eg, not moving very quickly). It can’t be anything to do with the HDMI setup because this is the hard drive and the way the programmes are being recorded.

I’m at the end of my tether, really, and am going to take the box back to Richer Sounds and try to find an old Humax (my original Humax died recently after eight years).

Have you tried deleting some of the larger HD recordings?

Appologies! I should have posted back before now.

Seems like my problem was the wideband outputs on my LNB (Visiblewave Hybrid LNB 6 Output)
I had a fairly weak signal on the wide band outputs, which eventually gave up completely.

I sent it back for full refund and went back to my standard 4 output LNB.
Problem seems to have gone away.

Still lots of "silly" things wrong with the box though...
Playback repeates the first 2s of recording (most of the time)
Radio recordings show the last image from live TV when playing.
Keeps saying "setting up your dish" at power on, what's that all about!
Sluggish response to remote control.
and more niggles.
I do hope they improve the software!!

Could be an LNB issue. Can you try another device?
You were right all along.
Wideband LNB outputs failed completely in the end.
Cheers.

Appologies! I should have posted back before now.

Seems like my problem was the wideband outputs on my LNB (Visiblewave Hybrid LNB 6 Output)
I had a fairly weak signal on the wide band outputs, which eventually gave up completely.

I sent it back for full refund and went back to my standard 4 output LNB.
Problem seems to have gone away.

Still lots of "silly" things wrong with the box though...
Playback repeates the first 2s of recording (most of the time)
Radio recordings show the last image from live TV when playing.
Keeps saying "setting up your dish" at power on, what's that all about!
Sluggish response to remote control.
and more niggles.
I do hope they improve the software!!

You were right all along.
Wideband LNB outputs failed completely in the end.
Cheers.
When I was first testing my Arris box, I had it set up on a single spare lnb cable and got the "setting up your dish" message at every power on. It went away when I switched over to the two lnb cables that were formerly used for the Sky box.

I wonder if you still have a dish/cabling problem that is being masked by one cable being ok? The Arris box doesn't show signal quality/levels for both lnb inputs, just a single display, but if you have a Sky box available to test, it should show both.

I get the " setting up your dish" warning at every start up, thought it was normal.

What did puzzle me is that when I first plugged the box in from new I wondered if I could just use the old Humax Power supply as it was difficult to get to the plug. I checked the connector and the power output of the new Arris box and it all matched the old one so I decided to make sure and measure the output and current of the new PSU with a DMM and discovered although it is rated at 12v DC 2 amps it was only managing to output a current of 200-300mA, that is a quarter of what it is supposed to be. I am now left wondering if Arris are sending out faulty psu's with their boxes. I have used my old Humax psu since getting it 3 Months ago and all seems to be working fine.

I have had an Arris 4k 1Tb box for a week now,. Yesterday all the SD channels started having picture freeze when watching.
i.e. the picture frezzes for a second then jumps to live again, the sound continues fine without a glitch?
SD recordings are worse, they have jumps in both picture and sound.
HD channels all seem fine.
Anyone else had this problem?
I put on a new wideband lnb on my dish and this happened to me. So I changed back to a non wideband quad lnb and was all good again.
Hope this helps.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom