1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arranging the Home Cinema unit

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Kingmob04, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Kingmob04

Kingmob04
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been scanning through the threads and it seems the Denon DH5-500SD is a great budget buy.

One question I had before I buy it and it might seem stupidly amateurish, but can I pop the smaller speakers on shelves or do they need to be hung from brackets? I know I need to maximise the space for the sound field, or to maximise the surround sound effect, but I'm not sure if the people I live with are happy about me screwing things to walls.

Any help would be great.

2. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    They'll be fine on shelfs - no probs at all. Most of us have to fit our surround sound systems in our living rooms with minimum aesthetic impact (ask our partners) so as long as the speakers are roughly positioned in the right places then you'll enjoy the 5.1 effect.

3. Kingmob04

Kingmob04
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one. Have an old Samsung 709 DVD player and although it ain't a terrible old thing and does have a crack for multi-region, I hate having to crank up the sound to enjoy my films. I need a little sophistication in my sound.

Shame it isn't multi-region straight off, but it seems Peter Tyson and his multi-region add-on is a good idea.

Another question is, where do the speakers go.

i.e. how many speakers do I have on the shelves and which speakers go close to the television and DVD player.

Sorry for this, I'm a total sound virgin.

4. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    The best bet is to pop down to your newsagents and browse/purchase a few of the dedicated Home Cinema magazines, they contain explanation, basics and diagrams of speaker placements. Also check out this link

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/articles/index.php?category=AV Beginners

What you have to remember is very few people have the environment to achieve the best audio sound stage when furniture, available places to put speakers, seating positions are factored in. As I said, as long as the speakers are more or less where they're meant to be then all will be well and good.

Speaker wise for the Denon DHT 500 SD, the four satellites are identical so one on the front left, front right, rear left, rear right, then your dialogue speaker is acually the same as the satellites but the logo is set for you lay that horizontally centre front (mines on top of the TV). The sub woofer....in one review I read for the Denon they recommended you position it near the TV as it helps the centre front speaker make voices sound more rounded?

Hope this helps

Nathan

PS.
    As you can tell from the threads and the reviews the Denon DHT500 is a class peice of kit. Also, recommend Peter Tyson, great service, fast delivery and unusually for web sales, if the kit goes wrong under guarantee they pay for collection and re-delivery.

5. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Agree with everything nathanhill69 has said, especially about fitting the speakers into the living (ask our partners) bit :D

To probably save you a little reading ideally...

The front left and right speakers should be about 1-3ft from the TV (3ft max), as this is the general distance the sound guys use for recording sound on films. The front left, right and centre speakers should be roughly on the same plain and aligned together. I chose to put the centre speaker on the top of the TV and the front two on stands at the same height. They should be angled in slightly pointing towards you.

They say put the subwoofer in the corner of a room to emphasise bass, however i did read the same article nathanhill69 read about putting it near the TV to give a decent round off to speech.

The rear speakers should be 1-3ft behind your seating position and 3-5ft above you angled down towards your head (pointing into the middle of your seating position).

This setup is the ideal setup; according to all the articles ive read. Thats what ive gathered and im by no means an expert, i just believe what i read. However no1 has a perfect room so i recommend working with what you have and tuning each speaker output to achieve the desired affect, also bouncing sound off walls to disperse it also works well, especially if your softa is on the back wall.

Just to add, i took -4db or -5db off the subwoofer for everything, the subwoofer is very powerful compared to the other speakers. It seems a common request to do this amongst 500SD owners some take up to -6db off. Alot also choose to tweak everything to +10db and the subwoofer +5db to make the system loud enough to use to keep it under 45 volume level (noisy fan kicks in at 45). :(

Just thought i'd share my 500SD experience :thumbsup:

6. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    A well put answer!!!

Just a small foot note, regarding the noisy fan. If you search around the threads their is a few mentions regarding this and I was one of the ones to discuss the fan"issue". Now I've had the Denon for around four months AND having set the channel levels +10 and the sub -5 I've come to the conclusion it's really not a problem. The times I do have the volume above 45 I don't really notice it and fans are pretty common in all-in-ones.

7. Kingmob04

Kingmob04
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.

If I have a set top box for digital and nothing else, what cables do I need to set everything up. I've been hearing a lot about optical connectors and RGB Scart cables. I have a gold plated scart cable for my current DVD player, but I'm not sure if it's RGB.

Don't think I want to spend another 60 quid on a really good connector. Do I need these scart switch boxes too, or does it depend on whether I have two scart ports on my tv (not sure as it's a pretty basic widescreen).

Any help would be appreciated as I'm a real novice

8. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    To connect the Denon to your TV either a component lead (although good chance your TV doesn't have component input - mainly LCD/Plasma TV's), otherwise your Gold Plated SCART is likely to be an RGB one. The RGB SCART gives an excellent picture.

You might possibly require splitters etc depending on what other equipment you wish to connect and how many SCART inputs / RGB SCART inputs you have on your TV. To begin with you should be alright and good chance you won't require anything at all.

9. Kingmob04

Kingmob04
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it has 2 scart ports, but I only need the DVD player to be connected to the tv and then the set top digital box. I imagine that has to run through the DVD in some way if I want to have Sky movies with 5.1 channel.

10. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I assume you mean a Sky digibox? Unless you've got Sky+, which has an optical audio output, then Sky movies will not be in 5.1 surround. Only the Sky+ boxes are capable of outputing a true 5.1 signal, all other sky digiboxes are unable to do this. If you do have Sky+ then simply plug the optical lead between the Sky+ box and the Denon and a SCART from the Sky box to the TV. If you have a regular Sky digibox then connect stereo phonos from the sky box into the Denon and a SCART to the TV from the Sky box. In theory I think you should be able to pass the video signal from the Sky digibox into the Denon but when I tried that it didn't work (possible dodgy lead) - anyone clarify this?

Anyway, if it's the regular sky digibox/phono connection then you can set the Denon to "simulate" 5.1 using either the Dolby PLII decoder or the DTS Neo 6 decoder - although it's not a patch on true 5.1 and for my money actually sounds rather pants.

11. Kingmob04

Kingmob04
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not that bothered about Sky movies and to be honest it's only the bog standard Sky digibox. I just want the Denon for DVDs, so I can probably stick with the scart lead I have at the moment.

12. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Then just make sure you've got some phono leads to hand to set up between the sky box and the Denon (I've got mine plugged into video 1 input). When I watch the TV I have the amp set the 5 speaker stereo as opposed to Dolby PLII as I just prefer the sound that way - but that's purely personal.