around 37" 1080p set for PS3? On a budget

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by JDRM, Jan 15, 2008.

Tags:
  1. JDRM

JDRM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I could probably stretch to £700. I'd like to have 1080p as the main use will be PS3 gaming (and i wont be sitting very far away from the TV). But ill also be viewing a fair bit of SD tv, so thats quite important too.

I was thinking about waiting from the Panasonic 37LZD70 to come down in price a bit?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated :)

2. Damian Briden

Damian Briden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got that very telly for my 360 - running at 1080i component.

Do a search on my name Damian Briden and you'll find a few pics of my den!

A great TV, any questions please ask - I'll foward a reply tomorrow night if needed...?

Best of luck

Damian

Cost £869 in late December with Panasonic 5yr guarantee.....

3. JDRM

JDRM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    didnt have much luck on the search :thumbsdow

and id love to pick your brains about it! how do you find the standard def picture? Any major problems with picture noise ?

and I'm still very much open to suggestions of other TV's !

4. JDRM

JDRM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any other suggestions??

5. Damian Briden

Damian Briden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Here's the link to one of my posts, with some pics...! It's in the "get your LCDs out for the lads - Page 132" around your post here...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6224564#post6224564

I'm really pleased with the TV. My room is 10' square and I sit 5 1/2 - 6' away. I work in graphics and have access to big printers, so me and the guys at work mocked up a few different TV's!!! I liked the 42" Toshiba which is about the same width as the 37 Panny (Panny has side speakers), but it was the screen size for me that was just too big - I thought that I'd be panning at the screen.
    Let's be honest also, that it can get into a "mine is bigger than yours" thing as well, can't it....? With a HD source you could theoretically sit 6' away from a 50" set.... I work on a 30" Apple Cinema display at work - which is fine, but when watching/playing, I think you need a bit of space between your eyes and the screen, so I went for the Panny as it just felt 'right'.
    To answer some of your questions.... 'normal' tv seams fine, but not as good as my old 28" Philips 100Hz CRT down stairs, Freeview is better, but lets be honest, LCD HD TV's excell with a HD source... If you've not played on your PS3 yet in HD then you'll be blown away no matter which good brand TV you get..... Plasma may be a better option, but they have there own foibles..... operating buzz, screen burn, what can be a lengthy running in period, 42" ish is the smallest size, etc, etc... For gaming with dials, scores, icons and cross-hairs always in the same position, a plasma did not seam to be the way forward for me ( the new Pioneer Kuro range has a pixel rotating technolgy thingy - which shows that there IS a problem with screen burn).... I have a near 2 hour drive to and from work. When I get home I want to have a PLAY or watch a movie, not to have to 'mother' the bloody TV screen!!!
    The Panny is not 100Hz, but neither was my old JVC 26" HD LCD and I've not seen any problems (I only sold it to my sister as it looked lost in the new den) - if you're a footy fan, or like me, like F1, then I'd personally stay with your CRT!
    LCD's aren't perfect by any stretch - Put it this way, for me at work, colour is critical. The 30" Apple display is lovely to look at/work on, but if I'm not sure about the colour accuracy then I'll view on my LaCie 321 LCD display (set up with it's calibrator and hood) at home or use one of the LaCie CRT displays we kept at work.... also, some people aren't happy with 100Hz technology anyway as it can also introduce it's own artifacts (and the 100Hz system can't always be turned off).... a bit like adding too many filters in Photoshop!!!

Sorry, we'd digressed! Panny is well built, nice controller, VERY easy to set up, responsive to the remote, good colour and sharpness (HD sources/360 used with standard DVDs), and has a good sound stage - although I use a separate 5.1 sound system which I would recommend for you (or 7.1) with your Blueray enabled PS3..... I've not seen any tearing, smearing, dead pixles, etc.... when watching a film, the Plasma boys are correct that you do get a greying of blacks.... but I don't sit there worring about it mid-way through, or that my Onkyo 505 AMP and Q-Acoustics 1010i speakers aren't giving me the best sound - I'm pleased that I've been able to afford them, have somewhere to put them, and am healthy enough to enjoy it!
    Also 'black levels/contrast/colour' depend on your viewing angle/level, lighting in your room, quality of your vision and personal preferences...

One thing I mentioned is build quality - now I don't want to hurt anyones feelings - but if you touch the Panasonic in-store, it feels solid, not like the Samsungs and Toshibas..... (I do have a Freeview Samsung 19" HD LCD TV on the wall in the kitchen and it's great), but for my den I wanted.... 'quality'.... you might say " who cares what it feels like, once it's in position I'll never touch it again!" - ohh how wrong you'll be - I only have to walk into my den and I can see the dust heading straight for it....!!!!!
    Finally (please get in touch if needed), most people will tell you that at this screen size, you can't see any difference between 1080p/i... my JVC ran at 720p, and apart from the size I can't see any difference....I'd hope with my keen eye for detail (and profession), I'd see it if it was there. A friend of mine came aroud last week to see the new den - he works at game firm Rare in Twycross and he said that he couldn't see any discernable difference between 1080p/i even on their 50" set-up - make of that what you will...!

Don't worry yourself to an early grave! Remember, choose the one that feels right for you...and also, no matter which super-duper set you spend your hard earned cash on - a new one will supercede it within 6 months!!!

Regards,

Damian

PS Take the HD plunge - I was not trying to put you off...I'm as pleased as punch! I was really disappointed with the 360 when I first got it set-up on the trusty Philips - but HD gaming is just fantastic and you'll never look back. The danger with your closing comment is that you'll always be waiting for the next big thing, not enjoying it NOW!

6. JDRM

JDRM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wow, great reply! Thanks a lot for the info.
    Great pics, that room is incredible!

Still on the fence about taking the hdtv plunge now or in a few months however...

ill let you know how i get on

thanks mate :)