1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Around £1500 to spend on a Plasma..... Help Needed !

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Daipac, May 9, 2005.

1. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    OK, well the more I watch the LG RZ42PX11 the more I think that it is going to go back to be honest. I just don't want to keep messing around with the screen to get a good PQ, it is too much hard work ! I am sure NTL has something to do with the pixelation and solarisation but I do still get this when using the PS2.

I have a budget of around £1500 to spend. Don't really want to go too much over that if I can help it. What are my other options at this price ?

It has to be a TV, I do NOT want a panel as I do not have the room for the additional sound system at present.

I would like to be able to use my PC on it but I suppose it is not essential. It has to be able to take HD stuff using the Xbox and I would prefer it to be as futureproof as possible.

The main contender seems to be the Panny TH42PE50 which I have found for around £1500 here :

http://www.totaldigital.biz/product_info.php/products_id/1136

That is the cheapest price I have found so far. There are deals for around £1650 with a free DVD recorder but not sure if I want t stretch that far really.

What are my other options ?

I have seen the spec on the new Samsung which sounds very promising but a lot of people seem to be sceptical about how good it will be.

No doubt, I am asking too much but if you have any suggestions as to how I can spend my money then I would be very grateful...........

I never thought buying a plasma would be this hard !

:eek:

Thanks in advance,

Dai

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Daipac, the problem with the samsung is that if anything seems too good to be true, it probably is. So far Samsung panels have failed to excite anyone, they are the basis for the most derided plasma on earth, or has that 'Tiny' fact slipped your mind? Not to say they can't or won't improve, but I doubt they can go from zero to hero in one easy move. When you say you want a TV not a panel, what's in a TV that you need so badly? Not the tuner, you've got sky. Just integrated speakers then? With that forum favourite, the spring clips on the side enable you to use any speakers pretty much, you don't have to run a full sound system. A pair of compact bookshelf Hi Fi speakers will likely sound better than any TV speakers anyway. Just a thought.

3. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    It will be wall mounted in a room where there is nowhere to put additional speakers so I want to have the speakers built in.

Also, it is not just that, it is the price to add all the inputs to get it working the way you want it that is putting me off.

I just like the fact that everything is in the one package so it works out of the box.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Rocks and hard places spring to mind then. Personally I'd get going with the DIY, wall mount some small speakers and use a panel. Connections are not really an issue, with the PW you are wasting money if you have more than 2 cards, and very often 1 will do, or even none, except you want to use a PC. You could use a scart switch, a VGA switch and a JS RGB to VGA converter, and that would connect almost anything these days, with no cards at all. I can see the integrated look being something you want, and panny side speakers are a stupid price, but connections need not stand in your way. Maybe an end of line bargain from Hitachi might be worth a look. (slinks off to wash mouth out)

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Or even an NEC VR5 (has more connections than you can shake a stick at has VGA, DVi (HDCP) and some say will accept 720p @ 50Hz on DVi.......(not me) at £1500ish its your best bet connectivity and compatibility wise you MUST see this in action before buying tho or you may become a serial plasma returner.
    (and you will need to add side speakers)

Joins MAW with bar of soap in gob........ :suicide: