Around £1000 to Spend

anotheruser

So I was fairly sold on a Panasonic HZ980 as we have Freesat and I wanted a supported EPG.

Then the more I read, the more the Sony A8 stood out to me. This doesn't support an EPG with Freesat but easily remidied by popping an aerial on the house, which I've done.

I was sad that I missed the 10% off over Easter and now the price seems to have settled at £1199. I get that's still a great price but a little sad it's nearly £200 more than what I could've paid.

I called a Sony Centre today to see if they could match it (a bold ask) and the guy said they couldn't but he suggested another TV, the Sony AG9, although older is much better.
He went further to say when the A8s were gone, they wouldn't be getting any more but would continue with the AG9.

This has now thrown a bit of a spanner in the plans but I'm not sure if they were just trying to upsell.
Is there a world of difference between the A8 and AG9? Worth the extra £200 (which is already around £200 more than I wanted to spend)? I don't mind maying a touch more if it's supremely better / worth it.

We don't use a sound at although we do have a nice £300-£400 (when new) surround sound system that we use with films. This is connected via optical cable (it's a little too old for the arc business). We're happy for the good old TV speakers when watching general TV.

On that subject, we watch a lot of films and TV series plus a good amount of Cbeebies. Practically 0% sport, a little news maybe.

Any others I should consider around £1000 mark?

Last edited:

vickster

Distinguished Member
Sony 55xh9505. Esp if CBeebies comes with static logos

Dodgexander

You should consider the risk of OLED burn in if the TV is going to be used with content that has a lot of static elements like children's TV...news channels etc.

All depends on how often that content will be used. If it is used often, best go for an LCD TV instead.

OLED Burn In Risk explains the details. To most people its not an issue, but its something you should definitely think about now, rather than when its too late.

anotheruser

Yeah, I've thought about this.

I'm not sure I'd see a good enough upgrade if I went for another Lcd panel.

I think Cbeebies is on for a maximum of maybe 2-3 hours at a time (and that's fairly generous). It'll then be off for 6/8 hours and on again for a maximum of 2 hours... generally. The logo does revolve every so often so it's not solidly there for the whole time. But I guess it's potential damage done over a long time.

tvdavid

the Sony XH95 is a great tv get it before it sells out if can.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Yeah, I've thought about this.

I'm not sure I'd see a good enough upgrade if I went for another Lcd panel.
The Sony XH9505 has an SDR brightness that is not far short of the HDR performance of any OLED which of course all use the same LG panel. I can confirm that SDR HD upscaling is amazing. I have the 49" version that does not have the wide angle viewing or anti reflection enhancements of the 55" and above models. Thus this size is reported to have a significantly higher contrast ratio.
Last night as SWMBO went to bed early I briefly tried all sorts of short views from all sorts of sources with variable room lighting inc fully dark. Saw no evidence of blooming - on general credits, score insert on recorded Mastermind final or black bars over and under widescreen HDR movies etc.

mikej

So I was fairly sold on a Panasonic HZ980 as we have Freesat and I wanted a supported EPG.

Just for info (in case you weren't aware), recent Panasonic TVs that have a satellite tuner don't officially support Freesat, so there is no Freesat EPG.

faidtoblack

There is definitely not 'a world of difference' between the AG9 and the A8. In truth you would be hard pushed to see any difference in PQ and some reviews rate the A8 better than the AG9. You would need them side by side to really know for sure but there are comments on these forums from people who own both that back this up.

I have looked into both TVs a lot myself and the place where the AG9 is superior is the design which is more premium (although the A8 is certainly not bad or poor quality) and you get a nicer remote.

You are right about the pricing at the moment. If you really wanted to keep as close to £1000 as possible then I would wait as the price will almost certainly drop (or there will be an offer on the A8 that is similar to the one that has just ended on the XH9505 first, and then the price will drop). Obviously it could sell out and you could miss it but if you are open to other 55" OLEDs (especially the LGCX which has a lot of stock left at many retailers) then you will end up with a 55" OLED for very close to 1k and possibly less. I know that JL have today started a promotion where you get a £100 e gift card with some TVs so it may be worth checking to see if the A8 has that offer? I know that would still not be the £1049 that it has been but still better than £1199.

I agree that if you go for an OLED then the Sony is probably the best option for your budget but there is so little difference between the PQ on the OLEDs that you can't really go wrong with any of them.

As others have mentioned, if you are going to consider LED then I would go for the 55XH9505 (although I would wait a bit as the price will drop on that TV soon now that the offer with the free sound bar has ended). The XH9505 is a very good TV and in some cases more suitable than an OLED.

Last edited:

anotheruser

Hmm. Good food for thought.

The AG9 seems to be a slight winner here. Argos have a deal of getting some speakers with it for £1528. I can get 7% off (making it £1421), but it's not particularly my preferred place of purchase. It's a shame as I can get the same 7% off at John Lewis but they don't have the 55" in stock.
If it's just the TV, it's come down to £1254, which I can stretch to.

More fun to think about is, while I like the stand of the AG9, it seems you can't then have a sound bar as it sits too low! But I guess the sound bar is just a bit of a nicety anyway. Sony RRP the speakers at £250. If bought with the TV, I'd be getting them for £167 so not a bad saving.

Will ponder some more and see where the price goes.

Dodgexander

The main reason to get the AG9 is the built in sound, its a big improvement over the A8 and can be considered soundbar-replacing.

If you are going to use a soundbar with the TV, you may want to consider the A8 instead, or even a TV that typically comes with worse built in sound that's cheaper like the Panasonic HZ980.

anotheruser

So I think it's the AG9.
It's a shame as John Lewis don't stock the 55" A8, which could have swayed me with the current deal - seems to be a £100 gift card (Richer Sounds also have the same deal).

I like the lower stand of the AG9 although it worries me it still may tip over! Not really bothered about the remote though and the design on the back... well, it's on the back.

But then the A8 is cheaper and the stand looks a little sturdier... but no John Lewis stock :(

Will keep hunting around at prices but as this deal ends at the end of May, I guess it may be the last for this set before they're replaced?

Last edited:

faidtoblack

So I think it's the AG9.
It's a shame as John Lewis don't stock the 55" A8, which could have swayed me with the current deal - seems to be a £100 gift card (Richer Sounds also have the same deal).

I like the lower stand of the AG9 although it worries me it still may tip over! Not really bothered about the remote though and the design on the back... well, it's on the back.

But then the A8 is cheaper and the stand looks a little sturdier... but no John Lewis stock :(

Will keep hunting around at prices but as this deal ends at the end of May, I guess it may be the last for this set before they're replaced?

John Lewis have about 40 of the 55A8 in stock on their website (although it is selling pretty quick).

vickster

Distinguished Member

faidtoblack

If you are going to buy the KE55A8 from JL make sure you get them to PM with someone like PCR direct first though as they have it for £100 cheaper.

anotheruser

Well this is now a pickle...
JL said they wouldn't have more of the 55A8... unless the guy thought we were still talking about the AG9, which they were really clear they wouldn't be stocking any more of the 55" of that model.

Strangely, Boots have the AG9 at £1349 (they also price match). I can get either 2% or 4% off that, plus 5000 points, which is £50 (although we tend not to shop at Boots as it's expensive), but that brings the TV to about £1272(ish). Still quite a bit.

Now just need to see if this can be beaten anywhere else - Richer Sounds perhaps but the £100 voucher is potentially useless as I don't need to purchase anything else from there. At least from Boots, I can buy Night Nurse! Wonder if Boots will price match Richer Sounds voucher offer...

But then that leaves the A8, which could be £1199 + another 5% off through a work discount code scheme if they'll price match PCR - thanks @faidtoblack for the link!

Really appreciate you guys' input though.
I'm not that great with shopping for things and money is tight this month (extra £500 on the car that came out the new TV fund :( but I said if we're going to get a new one, I want it to be better than a £300 special from Asda!)

Last edited:

vickster

Distinguished Member
Boots partner with AO, may be able to get some Quidco?

There’s no mention of a voucher on the AG9 page on RS site?

anotheruser

Boots partner with AO, may be able to get some Quidco?

There’s no mention of a voucher on the AG9 page on RS site?
Hmm. Maybe I was looking at the A8 :/ But I'm sure I had the AG9 tab open :S

This is getting confusing!

BUT I have submitted a price match for John Lewis and hopefully they'll match and BOOM, confusion over!

anotheruser

John Lewis will price match PCR.
Valid for 28 days, which is good because the bank is looking slightly lower these days (I'm sure I'll have a week or so to buy one) but will be putting it on the credit card so that'll hopefully come through on next months statement and be paid the month afterwards.

Truly appreciate your help with this - what a swell group! Amazing!

faidtoblack

John Lewis will price match PCR.
Valid for 28 days, which is good because the bank is looking slightly lower these days (I'm sure I'll have a week or so to buy one) but will be putting it on the credit card so that'll hopefully come through on next months statement and be paid the month afterwards.

Truly appreciate your help with this - what a swell group! Amazing!
Don't forget that with JL you can also PM up to 28 days after purchase as well, so if you spot a price drop a few weeks later then you are covered.

anotheruser

Well that's it then...

£1439 from John Lewis (£1299 + £140 cover)
- (£25 + £100 + £200 + £500 + £500) £1325 (but I paid £1258 gift card scheme through work)
+ £100 (price promise difference)
= £1272 total paid (strangely, the same as what Boots would have cost but with extra protection).

Will also get a £100 gift card but not really counting that as it's only an exchange of goods (IE, part of the TV for some clothes or something). Also have £28.78 coming back as Avios points through topcashback, but not sure I'll ever spend those.

Not bad!

Thank you all very much for the advice :D

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Hisense TVs get Disney+ on VIDAA smart OS
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Astell&Kern launches entry level SR25 MKII portable music player
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG rumoured to release 97-inch OLED TV in 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray (UK) for Halloween 2021