1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Around £1000 to spend.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Pezerinno, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Hi, I'm not sure whether I go for an all in one system or seperates but I'm looking for a system that will be good for DVD and audio stuff but only have around £1000 to spend.

It will be going with a Sharp Aquos LC-26GA4E LCD TV for some 5.1 surround sound but also for I want to connect it to my PC via optical to a Audigy 2 ZS gamer PCI sound card to play all my mp3's off my hard drive.

Was previously looking at the Denon SD500 but I don't think it will be good enough for the audio side of things. Havind said that I still want it to be good for DVD's and also good sound for surround sound PC gaming.

Will also be using a Thomson DHD4000 freeview PVR box with this system.

The speakers need to be small as they have to go on my desk so don't want any large stands etc.

All help appreciated :)

Thanks, Nick.

2. Strobe

Strobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    I take it from your post that this is for a desk/office environment rather than a living room? If so, and space is an issue then an all-in-one such as the Denon 500 may be the type to go for.
    You will get better sound / image quality from dedicated separates. I started with a budget similar to yours but upped it a bit to squeeze some better speakers in.
    For the £1,000 price range I would suggest something along the lines of :-
    (1) Cambridge Audio Azur 540R £250, Cambridge Audio 540D £200 (Richer Sounds) and Mordaunt Short Premire Plus £480 (www.petertyson.co.uk).
    (2) Marantz AV4500 package from www.petertyson.co.uk for £699.
    Creative-Audio are also doing some cracking amp/speaker packages. They have loads of deals with Mission M30i, JM Labs Sib/Cub and Kef packages with have decent Denon receivers for around the £800 mark. Twin one of those with a £150-£200 DVD player and you're laughing.

3. Strobe

Strobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
  4. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Thanks for the reply - the deals on creative audio are looking good value - will they be good for music listening?

Yeah it will be in desk/office environment - I have plently of room for amps and whatknot but the speakers will have to be of a small size.

Thanks.

EDIT: Think I'm going to need a bit of help here :rolleyes: I'm just going through all the 'hot deals' on creative audio and There are lots of systems in my price range but I don't know where to start really :confused:

5. Anthall

Anthall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Marantz - Hollywood box.

Cash to spare.

Nice

6. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    What about an Yamaha AX-750SE Amplifier with Mk 2 KEF KHT 2005.2 speakers? Then some DVD player...

7. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Ok just found out that you can't mail order KEF 2005 speakers so need some more advice please.