Army of the Dead (Netflix) Movie Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
The trusty 6.

Can't say I was expecting much more so I'll definitely have a look. 150 minutes though, that's ambitious territory for something like this.

And the inevitable Snyder Cut will come in even longer I expect!

I could watch Tig Notaro read a shopping list so I'm quite looking forward to watching this tonight.
It was very good how Tig was integrated in the film, considering her footage was done on green screen to replace the previous actor

It was very good how Tig was integrated in the film, considering her footage was done on green screen to replace the previous actor

@richp007 will be disappointed they had to cut Green Lantern again.

I could watch Tig Notaro read a shopping list so I'm quite looking forward to watching this tonight.

Seriously man, get your own lines ;)

1621614488506.png

Snyder seems to be becoming the new Michael Bay. In saying that, I'll watch as much of this as my brain will allow. To his credit, Snyder can create some very cool imagery...

Watching it now , about an hour in and I'm enjoying it for what it is . There is not much more you can do in this genre film wise ( gaming finds a way though ) but seems ZS has thrown everything into the mix here to at least change it up a bit . Great PQ and sound with Dolby vision / Atmos , that's a given .

I'm liking it .

Throwaway stuff for me, not as good as Dawn of the Dead and nowhere near as good as World War Z, 28 Days Later and Train to Busan. Found it disappointing and ripped large from plenty of better movies.

I think a 6 is fair given the general mish mash of the content. Perfectly watchable, but desperately needs some hard editing. Wasn't a fan of the soft focus some of it had. I've mentioned the Aliens nods on the other thread, but couldn't believe it when Snyder went the whole hog and copied the
ending with the helicopter 'leaving'! Any others I'm missing other than the Vasquez clone and the repeat line "You don't see them f*****g each other over"?

Bottle of cold Hop House 13 in hand and just about to press play. Fingers crossed this is better than a 6 for me because I've looked forward to it for ages!

I think a 6 is fair given the general mish mash of the content. Perfectly watchable, but desperately needs some hard editing. Wasn't a fan of the soft focus some of it had. I've mentioned the Aliens nods on the other thread, but couldn't believe it when Snyder went the whole hog and copied the
ending with the helicopter 'leaving'! Any others I'm missing other than the Vasquez clone and the repeat line "You don't see them f*****g each other over"?

Not that I minded but really the whole thing.

The REAL reason they were there - Weaponising the zombies
The treacherous company man
Cutting their way out when the company man locks them in
The company man’s fate
The entire “going back in to rescue my daughter” concept whilst on the clock for the place to be vaporised

A Bucket of Beers & half a bottle of Jim Beam...best film I’ve seen in ages 😁
Joking aside I had an absolute blast! Tonnes of fun & subversions to the genre.
I was getting a lot of ‘I am Legend’ vibes from this but without the dodgy CG, nice to see proper prosthetics on the undead, it made them so much more menacing!
it didn’t go where I expected it at all & there were some really good characters & it setup it’s story nicely for me.
Easy 8/10 for me
...was Weird seeing the Larry Fong cameo but Zack S was the cinematographer for this, that confused me.

Looking forward to this one tonight,did you say is was or wasn’t in Dolby Atmos @Casimir Harlow ? Brains a bit fuzzy from working overnights this week haha

Just finished it and well done as a great way to spend to much time as always on ZS time in a film .

Tis what it is , fun ride with great visuals and backdrops with decent action .

Cranberries finishing it up sealed the deal .

Yup gets a Netflix 7/10 from myself .

Last edited:
Hmmmmm…. Not great, but not rubbish. 6 out of 10 is about right.

If they completely erased seriously annoying Kate, and her mate (what was the point?), it might have been more straight up fun. Every scene with her in was such a drag.

Just finished this, very poor, was so looking forward to this too. A 4 overall from me. Couldnt give a toss about any of the characters, no humour, incredibly annoying
Daughter
, so much more could have been done with the story and the
Leader zombie
, not good when one of the highlights for me was

Copying American Werewolf in London - when the two soldiers got taken out at the start and Blue Moon Rising playing later in film

When one of the zombies got shot near the end was it a Terminator as it had a metallic head? What was that all about??

Last edited:
Well what we have here is another Zack Snyder movie where you spend more time looking at your watch.

just gimme a good heist movie or a zombie movie or a Dusk Till Dawn mashup :)

Went in blind.
Could have been soo much more… in fact it should have been soo much more….

From the start I was looking forward to it.. 30 mins in though I’m getting worried.

I can’t score this (it’ll be low) but will only say watch it if you have nothing else to watch... If you pass it by.. meh…you will not miss anything. Nothing new here. Other films do this soo much better.
It’s a real shame as acting.. although not great.. wasn’t as bad as the story/script.
Special affects ok… Couple funny parts but left wanting this to be soo much better.

Snyder seems to be becoming the new Michael Bay. In saying that, I'll watch as much of this as my brain will allow. To his credit, Snyder can create some very cool imagery...
Nowhere near as offensive as Bay. Not even close.

Just a little warning, at around 1 hour and 45 minutes a dead pixel seems to pop up occasionally. It's not your tv like I thought for a minute :D.

Movie was fun for the first half but it dragged on too long. Also the relationships between Dave Bautista and his daughter and a female lead was done laughably bad. Maybe that was the intention though. Those convo's made me laugh and cringe at the same time. Would rate it a 5.

Just a little warning, at around 1 hour and 45 minutes a dead pixel seems to pop up occasionally. It's not your tv like I thought for a minute :D.

Movie was fun for the first half but it dragged on too long. Also the relationships between Dave Bautista and his daughter and a female lead was done laughably bad. Maybe that was the intention though. Those convo's made me laugh and cringe at the same time. Would rate it a 5.
Saw that, shit myself thinking here we go, better check that out tomorrow and then it went! Thought I was gonna have an excuse to use the John Lewis warranty for a moment there! 🤣

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom