1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Army Of Darkness - Which version?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by tee, Jun 15, 2001.

1. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Ive got the THX 5.1 Anchor Bay version and it's pretty sweet. OK, it's not the Limited Edition and there's no Raimi commentary, but the picture and sound are good. Read my review HERE

Hope this helps...

2. h0l1yw0od

h0l1yw0od

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hey folks,

So i just got the Limited Edition of Evil Dead II (tinned) and i'm wondering, if i decide to get AOD which version do i get.

I know the 2 disc set is impossible to find (trust me, i've looked) anywhere other than auction (Yeah right, $100+) but i have found the Limited Edition Directors Cut, same as the 2nd disc in the set except it's not THX. Do i go for this one or the theatical THX version with the 20 min documentary but no commentary?

According to DVD File the non-THX LE's picture and sound were kind of...off.

Unless, of course, anyone knows of anywhere still selling the 2 disc set...? :confused:

Thanks.

3. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +962
    The reason there's no commentary on the THX US theatrical version (probably the worst version released of the film itself) is because Sam Raimi doesn't like it, although it does look and sound nice. If you want the contents of the Ltd tin then just get the 2 seperate discs of the THX version and the Directors cut version and betweeen them you'll have everything.
    The reason the pic quality on the Directors cut is a bit suspect in places is because the restored elements were literally from the cutting room floor and are a bit battered, but from a fans point of view, it's the version to own as it's got the decent extras such has tons of deleted footage (aswell as all the restored stuff in the film) and another excellent funny commentary by Sam, Bruce Campbell and Ivan Raimi, although not least because it's the version that Sam Raimi preferred rather than the truncated cut that got released in the US, which is actually shorter than the European version (which also includes a little female nudity not present in either US version). If I remember right, much of the romance side is removed from the US theatrical version aswell.
    Personally, I'd buy both - the ThX disc is great picture and sound-wise, but the Directors cut is the better version of the film and has all the extras on it, aswell as being something like 10 minutes longer.

Although, and I don't know if this'll make you wait at all, but Anchor Bay have opened up a business venture in the UK and the Evil Dead trilogy, along with Halloween and a couple of other films are supposed to be the first releases, so it'll be interesting to see which version of AOD they release over here, hopefully it'll be (my favourite) the elusive European cut, maybe even a triple disc set of all 3 versions...hey, I can dream!
    Anyway, AB are in the Uk now, so we just have to wait for the first release dates. Evil Dead's already been passed uncut by the BBFC for the first time ever.

[ 17-06-2001: Message edited by: Rambo John J ]