Armed Forces 'so called' charities

BB3Lions

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to bring your attention to what can only be described as imposters or as I like to call them 'scum'.

The Military/Ex-Military Community is becoming increasingly concerned over the increasing sightings of so called 'Military Charities' collecting across the UK, some of these 'Charities' ask you to buy a ticket for a prize draw, as little as 20% of the proceeds from these tickets go to the 'Military Charity', it is not unusual to find that 50% goes to the individual selling the tickets, the remaining 30% goes to the company running the so called charity ( Figures may vary)

You will see numerous versions of the same charity floating around the UK & slowly but surely we are shutting them down & getting them kicked out of shopping centres, major retailers etc but with continued support we should get the charities commission to actually do something about them.

Please be aware & please do not give monies to them.

edit: looks like the work being carried out over the last few weeks is now becoming headline news Warning over charity donations at Christmas

Attachments

• 12366270_1041252725913834_3275876206172323491_n.jpg
    12366270_1041252725913834_3275876206172323491_n.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 362
  • 12346465_1041256299246810_5221964797767964644_n.jpg
    12346465_1041256299246810_5221964797767964644_n.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 338
  • 12366237_1041252752580498_5051652739680142055_n.jpg
    12366237_1041252752580498_5051652739680142055_n.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:
I think ALL charities should have to, in large clear writing, state what percentage of proceeds actually go to the charity.

It's like those bags of sweets for £1.00 you can buy in some places where "all profits go to charity" but when you see the small print it's actually a tiny percentage ends up with the charity because they generally make the "profits" as small as they can.

Try to do something on a personal level, too many charities are just a front for business.

I recently gave a bag of shopping to an ex squaddie down on his luck and abandoned on my way out of the supermarket.

I wouldn't give to charities, they are just big businesses these days.
Gone are the days where people volunteer their services for free for a good cause. Just ask that big fat woman in the flowery dress.

I wouldn't give to charities, they are just big businesses these days.
Gone are the days where people volunteer their services for free for a good cause. Just ask that big fat woman in the flowery dress.
She was a right weirdo.

The first and third pic is in Basingstoke I think. I'm going there In a moment. I'll take some shots and have a little chat if they are there.

I would never give to a charity in the street - just wouldn't have any confidence it would end up anywhere useful. (other than buying a poppy if I find a genuine looking old bloke with a few campaign medals :) )

I think ALL charities should have to, in large clear writing, state what percentage of proceeds actually go to the charity.

It's like those bags of sweets for £1.00 you can buy in some places where "all profits go to charity" but when you see the small print it's actually a tiny percentage ends up with the charity because they generally make the "profits" as small as they can.
Absolutely - I remember a case where a charity sold small badges for £5 - all profits to charity (might even have been a military one) . Sounds great - until you dig in and find the husband of the charity owner happens to own a badge company makes them for pennies and sells them for £4.80 to the charity - nice bit of win. And the factory claimed some kind of relief by selling to a charity!

Cancer research spend something like 10% or less on cancer research. The only charities worth donating to are hospices or air ambulances. Anything else and u may as well set fire to your money

Last edited:
Charity begins at home.
I generally don't give out to charities, but there are two I do occasionally give to as they are something I am interested in.
One other type I support is Air Ambulances, but I bet they just spend it on petrol and Royal pilots (joke). I firmly believe every hospital should have an air ambulance.

It is rather unfortunate that the people that devote their lives to working for charities get paid. They should be paid in smiles for doing well for others. ;)

Granted the scammers can shove it. Like the coin minter husband and wife charity runner... that racket needs to be shut down.

Cancer research spend something like 10% or less on cancer research. The only charities worth donating to are hospices or air ambulances. Anything else and u may as well set fire to your money
You realize that most cancer researchers get paid a crap load of money right? They need the smartest people in the world working on that mess so I believe there is a greater deal of expenses on overhead (salaries, facility, electricity, etc) expenses than most other charities that get food or whatever to a physical person. Unless you're saying that only 10% or less goes to the researchers and materials to research with? Then that's bogus

You realize that most cancer researchers get paid a crap load of money right? They need the smartest people in the world working on that mess so I believe there is a greater deal of expenses on overhead (salaries, facility, electricity, etc) expenses than most other charities that get food or whatever to a physical person. Unless you're saying that only 10% or less goes to the researchers and materials to research with? Then that's bogus

I can't speak for cancer donations in general although for children's cancer in every pound donated to Cancer Research UK, only 1 pence will hit the lab, rest goes on board salaries, advertising and facilities. You will find a similar shocking figure for adult cancer. There are ways of ensuring that every pound you donate hits the lab, charities like bloodwise are great.

Yep this - cancer research includes salaries I would imagine. If you look at some charities, a huge amount of the collected money goes on the salaries of the charity employees themselves, before it gets anywhere near anyone that knows about cancer etc

Yep this - cancer research includes salaries I would imagine. If you look at some charities, a huge amount of the collected money goes on the salaries of the charity employees themselves, before it gets anywhere near anyone that knows about cancer etc

H4H prime example of eating into the profits.

A friend of a friend does door to door canvassing for an air ambulance. He has an entire crew of people out doing it. Makes an absolute fortune, barely any goes to the actual charity.

He moved onto this after trying to get people to switch their gas and electric. Less doors slammed in his face with this one.

Clearly we need a breakdown of what they do, when they do it and how much they spend and where it goes.

What if they use 90% of your random individual donation to pay for salaries, facilities, banquets, etc and then use 90% of money raised at banquets with the rich and famous goes directly to the research... hmmm... I think I will do some research because now I'm interested.

I worked for an asset manager once and they had the contract for Cancer Research UK (the big one). This was back in 2003 and they had around £2bn in the UK stock market.

I was a naïve 23 year old and asked the question why it was not all spent on research. The answer I was given is that it has to be run as a business. If they spent everything they had on trying to cure cancer and came up short they would not be able to get going again from the standard contributions.

My wife's father is a very prominent AIDS researcher, he earnt next to nothing for the majority of his life but now he is established and well known he is quite well paid. However if you averaged it out over his entire working life it works out slightly higher than average.

I can't speak for cancer donations in general although for children's cancer in every pound donated to Cancer Research UK, only 1 pence will hit the lab, rest goes on board salaries, advertising and facilities. You will find a similar shocking figure for adult cancer. There are ways of ensuring that every pound you donate hits the lab, charities like bloodwise are great.

Just did a quick google for Cancer Research UK's figures - 2014-2015 figures:

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/sites/default/files/annual_report_and_accounts_2014-15.pdf

upload_2015-12-10_14-55-35.png

So they claim 80p in the £1 goes towards 'beating cancer' - quite a vague term - where does the 79p of that go if not the lab? I wonder what counts as 'beating cancer'

A friends wife was the manager of a local CRUK charity shop, he told me that branch failed to turn over a profit in the 5 years she was manager and the previous 3 years before that. Far too much wastage.

Well they seem to claim £393m out of £644m spent was spent on research.

upload_2015-12-10_15-13-56.png

You realize that most cancer researchers get paid a crap load of money right?
I'm afraid they do not, speaking as an ex-lab based scientist with colleagues engaged in research related to cancers, heart disease, diabetes, arthritis etc.

Furthermore, speaking as someone who left for the 'dark side' and works in the life sciences business, I have dealt with all the large cash-rich medical research charities, and they waste so much money, including regular redecorating, s****y receptions (not for fundraising), and not bothering to negotiate on the purchase of their research supplies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom