Armando Iannucci - Veep

krish

Distinguished Member
Yes definitely :) ... wonder if there will be any Thick/Loop crossover? (Anna Chlumsky is cast as "Amy", presumably not too far removed from her Loop character). Good choice using the office of the VP (Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Selina Meyer), as it is seen as a rather lame duck role (apart from being a heartbeat away from the POTUS) with the same comedy potential as DoSAC.

Thank :censored: ABC dropped it and HBO picked it up - this US version (which Ianucci has creative control of) has to be premium cable to be of the BBC standard. Great stuff for Baltimore too ... first major production since The Wire ended.

Been a huge fan of most of his TV and radio stuff for years .... and this goes back to 1990 when I went to the the radio recordings of The Mary Whitehouse Experience, which he produced and was unofficial warm up for.

krish

Distinguished Member
HBO: VEEP: About

Former Senator Selina Meyer (Julia Louis-Dreyfus) has accepted the call to serve as Vice President of the United States. The job is nothing like she imagined and everything she was warned about. VEEP follows Meyer and her staff as they attempt to make their mark and leave a lasting legacy, without getting tripped up in the day-to-day political games that define Washington.

Meyer's inner circle includes: her chief of staff Amy (Anna Chlumsky), longtime press spokesperson Mike McClintock (Matt Walsh), right hand and body man Gary (Tony Hale) and secretary Sue (Sufe Bradshaw) all of whom often do battle with Dan Egan (Reid Scott) an ambitious interloper and smug White House liaison Jonah (Tim Simons).

Created by Armando Iannucci (The Thick of It, In the Loop), the comedy is scripted but shot in an improvisational style. VEEP is authentic without being specifically biographical about what it is like to hold the least effectual post in the most powerful office in the world.

Executive Producers: Armando Iannucci, Chris Godsick, Frank Rich; Co-Executive Producer: Simon Blackwell; Producers: Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Stephanie Laing; Directors: Armando Iannucci, Tristram Shapeero, Chris Morris; Writers: Armando Iannucci, Jesse Armstrong, Simon Blackwell, Sean Gray, Ian Martin, Will Smith, Tony Roche, Drew Roger.
Great to see Chris Morris involved too - bit of a Four Lions reunion there with Armstrong and Blackwell

krish

Distinguished Member
Veep is set to premiere in the US on Sunday 22nd April

VEEP.jpg

Kelltic

Really enjoyed it, it just needs a bit of Malcolm Tucker really!

unique

i thought it was like an american copy of in the loop but then i saw the credits and realised...

weyland-yutani

liked this and laughed a few times.

krish

Distinguished Member
Brilliant :smashin: finally caught it last night. Done a good job of establishing the characters' traits ... and no carbon copies of personalities from The Thick Of It, all quite different from their DoSAC counterparts

- Veep Season 1: Episode #1 Deleted Scenes - YouTube (has some effing and jeffing of course :))

This must be the only 100% US financed show with a mainly British writing and production team behind it?

Due to air on Sky Atlantic in June ...
Armando Iannucci's political comedy Veep - Airdate June 2012 - Sky Atlantic HD

Armando Iannucci’s VEEP will premiere exclusively to Sky customers on Sky Atlantic and on the move via Sky Go this June.

Multi-award winning British comedy writer and director Armando Iannucci (The Thick Of It, In The Loop, I’m Alan Partridge) turns his attention to the inner workings of American politics as his latest sitcom steps inside the government offices of Washington DC.

Emmy®, Golden Globe® and Screen Actors Guild Award®-winning actress Julia Louis-Dreyfus (Seinfeld, The New Adventures of Old Christine) is Selina Meyer, the US Vice President, or ‘Veep’ as the position is colloquially known. Having recently taken up the prestigious post, she soon realises the job entails a lot more than she bargained for.

The ensemble cast includes a who’s who from the world of comedy. Sufe Bradshaw (Overnight) Anna Chlumsky (In The Loop) is Amy, her chief of staff; Tony Hale (Arrested Development) is Gary, her right-hand man; Reid Scott (My Boys) is Dan, an ambitious director of communications; Tim Simons (Days Together) is Jonah, a young and somewhat clueless White House liaison; and Matt Walsh (Outsourced) is Mike, Meyer's weathered spokesperson.

Receiving widespread critical acclaim in the US, Entertainment Weekly declared that “VEEP’s mix of energy, obscenity, and enmity is a bleak vision of American political folly. It would actually be pretty depressing if it weren’t so amusing;” while The New York Post described the series as “hilarious” and having “rescued the sitcom;” and New York Magazine hailed “each episode funnier than the last.”

Last edited:

richardb70

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the heads-up on this, we saw the first two eps last night and loved them. Quality comedy!

krish

Distinguished Member
Good timing ...

Armando's just been awarded an OBE, and is on Would I Lie To You next Friday (along with Jim Carter on Lee's team) at 9.30pm on BBC1, 3 days before Veep starts on Sky Atlantic

Bound to be on other TV and Radio programmes plugging it, and it will be reviewed on next Friday's The Review Show at 11pm on BBC2
- BBC Two - The Review Show, 22/06/2012

EDIT ... Funny Twitter spat between Alastair Campbell and Armando over the OBE

campbell_ianucci.jpg

- OBE for The Thick of It writer: What the f*&! would Malcolm Tucker say? - Telegraph

Last edited:

Singh400

Distinguished Member
Finished up watching Season 1. And it's really REALLY good. I'm so glad that they didn't hold AI back. Looking forward to more!

I wonder if we could ever see a cross over? Perhaps the only cross over I really want to happen.

krish

Distinguished Member
BAFTA Q&A recorded last Wednesday ...
Film & TV Q&As

Veep / Armando Iannucci Q&A
Posted: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 12:00:00 GMT

In this podcast from June 2012, The Thick Of It creator and Alan Partridge writer Armando Iannucci speaks to Richard Bacon about his new US political comedy. Expect strong language, as well as news about upcoming Partridge and Thick Of It projects!

[media.bafta.tv/Film+and+TV+QandAs/bafta-qanda004-veep.mp3]
RT article by Armando
- Armando Iannucci: Malcolm Tucker would never survive in Washington | Radio Times

Nik73

Distinguished Member
I just watched the first episode and loved it, had me laughing out loud all the way through. Best comedy premiere since Modern Family for me, fantastic dialogue.

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Hi,

I watched episode 1, and found it to be dire! Very few moments that are genuinely funny. Hardly any decent one-liners, and some of the most average characters I've seen in a major US show. A lot of crude jokes that don't work and aren't funny, just nasty and tasteless. The fact that this is an HBO show is worse - how can they put their name to this garbage?! :confused: :(

Not a patch on THE THICK OF IT. Not even in the same galaxy!

Pooch

Singh400

Distinguished Member
Hi,

I watched episode 1, and found it to be dire! Very few moments that are genuinely funny. Hardly any decent one-liners, and some of the most average characters I've seen in a major US show. A lot of crude jokes that don't work and aren't funny, just nasty and tasteless. The fact that this is an HBO show is worse - how can they put their name to this garbage?! :confused: :(

Not a patch on THE THICK OF IT. Not even in the same galaxy!

Pooch
Then you are in the minority. Everyone I've spoken to loves it.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022