1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

armageddon

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by gargoyle, Nov 30, 2000.

1. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Not having watched 'Armageddon'on the big screen and encouraged by the rave reviews, I decided to buy the dvd- my opinion? this has to be the biggest load of jingoistic crap-the film would be just about bearable if it were not for the really ultra patriotic tone,I'n never seen so many stars and stripes and subtle references in a film-anyone agree or is it just me?

2. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    [​IMG] [​IMG] You've obviously never read mine or SOK's comments regarding this nonsense. [​IMG] This is arguably my most hated film, it is utter sh*t, the American bullsh*t is unbareable and the script could easily have been written by me when I was ****ed and having a laugh. I can imagine Americans standing up in the cinema whooping an hollering with tears in their eyes. I hate Armageddon even more that Independence Day.

I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned (repeatedly) in the 'bad films' thread - check it out.... I'm with you all the way though. [​IMG]

------------------
    Tee

http://www.electronicreality.co.uk

3. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    TEE
    Don't get me started with Independance day- whenever the Bill Pullman 'We shall not disapear into the night' speech is on I actually feel nauseous!

4. Matt

Matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    And then cut to two Brits in the desert...
    Pilot 1 : Teas up old boy!
    Pilot 2 : Whato Ginger

5. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Still,you'v got to look on the bright side-if the asteroid idea had been pulled in the planning stages of the movie,it would have been some guy with an english accent playing the baddie!

6. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +633
    Ditto everything Tee said. But what I find most irritating about Armageddon (it even hurts me to mention its name) is the constant panning of the camera during scenes. If any of you can muster the courage to watch it again, look out for this. I noticed it inside the 1st 10mins and spent the next 2 hours shouting at the TV, cursing the director. It is filmed like a TV advert. You would not mind if it was used occasionally, but it is ALL THE FRIGGING TIME !!!!!

7. mysteriousjimmy

mysteriousjimmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    The bit that got me was right at the end, and believe me I have no idea how I made it that far, but, when William Fichtner asks Liv Tyler (?) if he has the permission to shake the hand of the daughter of the bravest man he's ever met (or whatever). I VERY nearly took a baseball bat to my TV....

And yeah, I agree, the president's speech in Independence Day IS almost as bad, as is the good old British at the end. Pure sh*t.

------------------
    Tee

http://www.electronicreality.co.uk

9. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The sad Irony is that both Armageddon and ID4 are great action films with superb sfx and totally ott soundtracks-easily demo material.if it was'nt so overtly patriotic and the gung-ho had'nt been slapped on thick,I would have loved this film. as it is I only use them as demos because I just can't bear to watch em.

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I love both of them....sorry.

In fact, Armageddon Criterion is my most watched disc, whilst ID4 Special Edition is my most watched LD !

Oh, and SOK...the Director, Micheal Bay, started out directing adverts in the US....and did you REALLY find the quick pans and blur cuts THAT annoying ???

------------------
    "Why do I do this? Three reasons: the pay is good, the scenery changes, and they let me use explosives."

http://www.ypcc.co.uk

11. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I agree with Jason.

Armageddon is pure TRIPE, but no one does tripe better than Jerry Bruckenheimer. eg. Con Air, The Rock, Top Gun, Bad Boys, Flashdance (hehe) etc.

I thought it ****ed on films like Shakespeare in Love and American Beauty for entertainment. I kid you not!

I have my DVD and sound system for ENTERTAINMENT. This film just rocks it.

IMHO only. You have yours, I have mine.

12. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    ****, ****er, ********.

Just testing.

13. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Gh3y f00k3rs.

hehe, missed that one I bet.

14. Mattie

Mattie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In defence of Michael Bay... watch the video to Meat Loaf's "Objects in the Rear view Mirror" which he directed. Very moving. Several shots are re-used (the concepts, not the footage) in Armageddon... although I don't know which came first.

I also wonder whether the Armageddon haters here (with perfectly valid viewpoints) have seen the Criterion version. There's two very informative commentaries, extra scenes (Gargoyle pukes in the background...) and extras worth watching, like the gag reel where Billy Bob Thornton tells Liv Tyler about the asteroid in his pants, or Bruce Willis says before the launch, "I wish I'd ****ed my cocker spaniel one last time"

I knew Jason and I would reply to this thread sooner or later, but I didn't have the guts to be first! Ono's point about our home cinemas being built to please us and not others is exactly right. And who's to say that just coz some of us like to disengage our brains occasionally and fall under the spell of JB's jingoistic tripe, that we can't appreciate something a bit less star-spangled.

15. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any films by Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich are incredibly Patiotic. Look at ID4, Godzilla and The Patriot. Even Stargate to a point, they always make the Maericans look like they've saved the world. I have to admit though, I did enjoy ID4 and Armageddon.

16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mattie

Believe me mate...my brain is permanently dis-engaged...lol

Completely agree with the sentiments on why we shove loads of great hulking black boxes in our homes though....to enjoy the home cinema experience. A perfect day for me would be sitting down to a bruckheimer-fest of movies with a few mates and a few beers.

And yeah, I love the Emmerich, Devlin stuff too...all no-brainer, patriotic clap-trap....but great fun to watch non the less.

Also agree that if no one has seen any of the extended versions of some of these movies (Stargate, ID4, Armageddon) then search them out as they are SOOOO much better than the originals (even add a bit more-shock, horror-story in some cases).

Oh, and by the way Mattie...thanks for letting me dive into this one first....at least you backed me up...lol

------------------
    "Why do I do this? Three reasons: the pay is good, the scenery changes, and they let me use explosives."

http://www.ypcc.co.uk

17. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Isn't it true that the Dean Devlin and Bruckenheimer films are usually referred to in movie mags as 'The Summer Blockbuster'?

18. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I love all those crappy films, all good fun.
    But...........
    why do americans have to salute each other so much, at every opportunity?!?!?!?!? regardless of wether they are in the military, police, ambulance service or whatever?
    Why do americans have to be so righteous and just?
    Why do americans have to be the only ones to save the world?
    Armageddon and ID4 (name alone bad enough) are classics. Love and hate at the same time.
    But hey, that's Hollywood. [​IMG]

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk

19. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nooo..
    Armageddon is one of the greatest films ever.
    OK so it's very patriotic? What do you expect?
    Every line is a classic...
    Some films are good, some are bad, some are so bad they are good..but some are so bad they transcend the boundaries and become art.
    Armageddon is one of these.

20. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First of all, I personally really enjoy these types of films from the likes of Emmerich and Bay. You have to look at them as 2 solid hours of entertainment. Leave your brain at the door and just sit down and enjoy the movie without analysing them.
    These are very well made films from a technical stand point. Other such directors that use the motion of the camera continuously to propel the film and give it a more tense atmosphere are people like John Woo, M:I2. I don't here you complaining about this film and it is essentially the same sort of movie.
    These movies are just for good fun and blockbuster special effects. Nothing more, so don't expect anything more. I'm sure if the director wanted to do something intellegent, he would, but instead he opted for the big, fun, thrill ride.
    These films have there place in film history and I look forward to seeing a lot more of them.
    Especially Pearl Harbor. I think that this could be one of the best films of 2001. If you haven't seen the trailer. you can download it from, http://www.darkhorizons.com/trailers/index.htm
    This is definitely worth checking out!
    Learn to enjoy films only for what they are and I think you won't be as disappointed in the future.
    Neil [​IMG]

------------------
    That's pretty lame Milhouse!
    http://members.tripod.co.uk/Neildo/index.html

[This message has been edited by Neildo (edited 05-12-2000).]

21. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I don't get the too much stars and stripes comments here. The films were made in America, so there is some Americana. of course. The films speak nothing, of course, of actual Americans. Actual Americans are just like Brits with other accents. They wake up eat breakfast, wear special shoes for left and right, drive to work too fast, work all day, and watch too much TV in the eve. I have never heard Americans think badly of Brits because of a film!
    One of the very best films I saw this year was EAST IS EAST. British sit-coms are quite popular here. There is no significant anti-Brit movement/ sympathy/ feelings here.

What in the world is so anti-anybody, or pro-anybody about a silly movie like ARMAGEDDON. Come to think of it, MONTY PYTHON is absolutely beloved here in America too. So are the various Brits who played 007! Movies are just movies. Real Americans are like Andy Griffith, Cheech & Chong, Madonna, Billy Bob Thorton, Roger Ebert, Dolly Parton, and of course, me.

If you want to speak badly of Americans, leave the movies out of it. Pick on the robber-barrons who run the utterly pathetic national government here. Make Florida ( I live in Tennessee) the butt of your jest, we certainly do! But leave the movies out of it..... really! Best wishes from La Presidente por de Rebublica Polezannia!

------------------

Rachael, the big disc cat!

22. mysteriousjimmy

mysteriousjimmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and the 1 Australian who played 007 in 1 movie

------------------
    mysteriousjimmy's home cinema

[This message has been edited by mysteriousjimmy (edited 05-12-2000).]

23. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Rachel-
    I'v grown up with movies all my life and they DO make an impact.
    How many times have we come out of the cinema feeling great after watching a really good film or feeling sad , fulfiled ,angry , puzzled or any other number of emotions? Films are more than imagery and provoke thought and reaction - you only have to read some of the comments in this forum.
    The bulk of films in my laserdisc and dvd collection are american and I'v never questioned or moaned about that- after all,the world film industry IS hollywood just as microsoft windows is THE operating system of PCs- I'v no complaint with this and if I did'nt appreciate it, I would'nt be buying them in the numbers that I do.
    However, when someone is continually beating you over the head with an idea,philosophy or image, it will get through to you at some stage.One of my all time favourite films is 'The Right Stuff' - an american film with an american p.o.v. relating to a real episode in history - totally enjoyable in every respect and to my mind as authentic as it gets. Whenever we got imagery of patiotism,it is never questioned because this is the way it was and I accept that as such but in Armageddon, The imagery SCREAMS for attention - I put the film on before writing - I suggest you do the same, and watched the film at 8x speed - you'll be surprised how many times the flag pops up!
    I holiday to america every year to pick up laserdiscs and love every second of it - I would never criticise the flag waving and patriotism on display because THIS IS america! However , As a Brit, what you see as commonplace , sticks out like a sore thumb to non americans.
    Hollywood is an american industry with a worldwide audience therefore we get film with american perspectives - its something we all accept and take for granted these
    days but hollywood should also remember that it caters for a worldwide audience.

24. Jesus H

Jesus H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    armageddon?speling?

sh*te

ID-OK, like it a bit more now

25. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Completely unnecessary jingoistic pants. [​IMG]

My opinion any road up. [​IMG]

26. Dave

Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I loved Armageddon, and it didn't make me cringe as much as ID4.

Tally ho chaps

27. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Rachael,

It's all in jest, and done in the very best possible taste!

We're as bad anyway.

Just look at Zulu. How dare those savages attack during tea? Colour Sergeant, see to it.
    [​IMG]

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk

[This message has been edited by General Skanky (edited 05-12-2000).]

28. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    The British should make more movies! We're tired of America films over here too. What happened to the British film industry? The ones that do get over here these days are generally excellent. Sorry to slight Australia, was that George L.?

So, this is a wink and a nod thing? Know what I mean, know what I mean, does she go, does she go? Right-o?

I never really think about flags and waving, and I can honestly say I don't even notice. I did like the song Flag Day by the Housemartins though enough to own the vinyl platter. But, seriously, wait, I'm never serious.... In all honesty, Britan is my second favourite island nation, next to Polezannia, of course.

Make more movies over there! Wave flags if need be, I like the British flag. Hollywood may be the film capital,but for how long? If they don't start making better films.... There's an opening here! Thanks for the many gracious replies, best wishes!

------------------

Rachael, the big disc cat!

29. coolgools

coolgools

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dear gargoyle, completeley disagree with SOK and TEE's view with regards to both Armeggedon and ID4. I'll stick my neck out and say ID4 is the best film i've ever seen!!!!!! And Armaggedon is not far off. Come on watching films is about escapism and what better to escape from than the above two.As for the Presidents speech in Id4 ..its one of the top 3 speeches along side Earl spencer's at Princes Di funeral and Neil Kinnocks at 1987 Gen. Election!!

I'll bet Sok and Tee' favorite films are: ALL CREATURES GREAT AND SMALL and BLAIR WITCH 2... thats what i call crap.

other great films are:
    Lost in Space
    Godzilla
    Deep Impact
    and all the other gung ho macho films slapheads write off.
    coolgools@totalise.co.uk

------------------

30. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    COOLGOOLS

My film collection includes some of the crappest (at least thats what I'm told) films in creation - lets give you a sample - Robot Jox, Explorers,Dark Angel,Flight of the intruder, Wings of the apache etc etc.
    Yes these (& others) are cheap n tacky but they entertain - nothing more.
    Heard of product placement? thats when a product is placed in the film strategically to attract our attention - it could be a can of Heinz beans, Cans of coca cola, etc.
    Well, in armageddon, how many times do we see the flag? I like bruckheimer films because they entertain and that includes armageddon but the flag IS the product and its being flashed at every opportunity - even though I'v bought both these films, I'm not going to give sell them as I will watch them from time to time but I'll make sure I keep the fast forward button on hand!