Armageddon HD on anytime

i thought it was ok,i cant believe i have never seen this film,its awesome some of the shots of the earth at the start and throughout were stunning.

Kev12

I thought the picture quality was very good,
It did change aspect ratio after 7 minutes though.

roym

I take back my last post, aspect ratio changed after the titles so the whole film has been cropped and now I'm not going to bother watching it, well done sky for ruining a great film:thumbsdow

mmace

Novice Member
I take back my last post, aspect ratio changed after the titles so the whole film has been cropped and now I'm not going to bother watching it, well done sky for ruining a great film:thumbsdow
wasn't it the same on BBC HD, therefore that will be how the master is and therefore not Sky's fault?

WATTS

wasn't it the same on BBC HD, therefore that will be how the master is and therefore not Sky's fault?
Will check this later tonight.

So who did master this then? Who is to blame for this ameteur HD master?

chic

Distinguished Member
Will check this later tonight.

So who did master this then? Who is to blame for this ameteur HD master?

i think this is the only hd master the studios will supply for hdtv, the same happened with v for vendetta on hd it was cropped where as on the normal movie channel it was the correct aspect ratio and on hddvd it was the correct aspect ratio. I think with armageddon they are hold the OAR for a hddvd/bluray release at some point.

`BK

Fire off an e-mail to Sky about it and they might possible do something about it (e.g. ID4 which I believe was originally cropped? Then switched to OAR down the road).

Starz and BBC HD both showed the same thing.

trent steel

Thought the picture was good,i have seen a lot worse
Thought I was lucky watching it last night until the aspect changed after title screen:thumbsdow

richie05

Novice Member
how so ? (in simple speak, please)

I think that HD should refer to images shot at resolutions of 720i and above, not dodgy upscales. I agree that the quality of this broadcast was better than SD but to be honest the upscaler in my telly does as good a job on dense SD stuff.

Richie

Bachstrad

Novice Member

Bachstrad

Novice Member
:rolleyes: What?.. :suicide:

Same point I think. Armageddon was 520 and I said HD should really be 720 or better.... Didn't I?
It was 1080i ..... You watched it in 576i because you'd been watching an SD channel before you watched Armageddon in Anytime. This is a software bug which comes into play because your Sky HD box is set to 'Auto' in the resolution settings > 1080i - 720p - Auto!

ATB

Max

richie05

Novice Member
It was 1080i ..... You watched it in 576i because you'd been watching an SD channel before you watched Armageddon in Anytime. This is a software bug which comes into play because your TV is set to 'Auto' in the resolution settings > 1080i - 720p - Auto!

ATB

Max
ATB,

I can't set my telly's resolution so I suspect by default it is in Auto.

Richie

Bachstrad

Novice Member
ATB,

I can't set my telly's resolution so I suspect by default it is in Auto.

Richie
My mistake ... HD Box in Auto! Not TV. I'll edit my post!

ATB

Max

I think that HD should refer to images shot at resolutions of 720i and above, not dodgy upscales. I agree that the quality of this broadcast was better than SD but to be honest the upscaler in my telly does as good a job on dense SD stuff.

Richie
With all due respect, you come accross as though you haven't got a clue what you are talking about...HD has nothing to do with the way a movie was shot but everything to do with the way the disc or broadcast ha been encoded...

richie05

Novice Member
With all due respect, you come accross as though you haven't got a clue what you are talking about...HD has nothing to do with the way a movie was shot but everything to do with the way the disc or broadcast ha been encoded...
Maybe I was just unclear. I was referring to shows or movies that we shot without HD in mind. If you take a show like Star Trek TNG, which is showing on Sky HD, the definition isn't there to begin with so all the broadcaster has to work with is the original transfer. When it's shown on HD it can only be as good as the source material.
Shows like 24 and Prison Break were shot for HD or take for example the movies Ultraviolet and King Kong will look stunning when broadcast in HD. My point about Armageddon is that while it looked better than a SD broadcast, I don't believe it was much better than the DVD version.

Richie

BTW. I work as a broadcast engineer, I do have some working knowledge on the subject. With all due respect.

richie05

Novice Member
It was 1080i ..... You watched it in 576i because you'd been watching an SD channel before you watched Armageddon in Anytime. This is a software bug which comes into play because your Sky HD box is set to 'Auto' in the resolution settings > 1080i - 720p - Auto!

ATB

Max
My apologies Max,

You are right, I went directly from a 1080 HD picture to Anytime and it played Armageddon reporting 1080. Very interesting. Still not sure about the PQ though.

Richie

MKRich

Maybe I was just unclear. I was referring to shows or movies that we shot without HD in mind. If you take a show like Star Trek TNG, which is showing on Sky HD, the definition isn't there to begin with so all the broadcaster has to work with is the original transfer. When it's shown on HD it can only be as good as the source material.

My point about Armageddon is that while it looked better than a SD broadcast, I don't believe it was much better than the DVD version.

Richie

BTW. I work as a broadcast engineer, I do have some working knowledge on the subject. With all due respect.
I thought all film based material was capable of being transferred to 1080p being that the image scanners that transfer the film to digital format are capable of transferring at a much higher resolution than current HD?

WATTS

I watched the movie last night and can confirm it was in HD @ 1080i! :smashin:

However i was also shocked to notice the dodgy crop about 5/10 mins into the film where the borders at the top and bottom suddenly dissapear and the actual viewing part of the movie squeezed up to fill the the whole of the tv.
How can it suddenly just changed aspect ratios 10 mins into the film?

Also the quality of the movie was good but due to the stretch from the bad HD transfer stopped it being excellent IMHO.

Also anyone notice the asteroid impacts at the beginning? I never remember them being that long...

My apologies Max,

You are right, I went directly from a 1080 HD picture to Anytime and it played Armageddon reporting 1080. Very interesting. Still not sure about the PQ though.

Richie
Instead of going from HD channel to anytime Hd content why not just set your HD box to 1080i permanently? Im sure it would be much easier and you get the added bonus of the delay going when you swith between different resolutions.

Thanks.

rigman

This is on the normal HD film channel in a few days (spotted it when checking last night) so it will be interesting to see if it will still have the dodgy crop.

My anytime has not even got it so will have to wait anyway :mad:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

Sky seals Studiocanal movie deal
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett