Armageddon and 9/11. Vision of the future from 1998?

Sorry to be a killjoy but I disagree completely that there is anything "spooky" or "eerie" here.

As krish mentioned, it is not unusual for "disaster" movies to depict famous landmarks being destroyed. It has more dramatic impact (eg Statue of Liberty, White House etc).

Yes the towers were hit. But for me that's it. Nothing spooky here!

Yes I'm with you on that. If you have a disaster movie that's based in certain countries you can list the landmarks that will be used.

Oh and the apocryphal tale about jackie Chan's "Nose Bleed" was that he was location scouting on the roof of the twin towers, 24 hours before 9/11

I don't think you're getting it. Obviously famous landmarks will be destroyed. What we're saying is that of all the films that do this, the Armageddon movie is the closest to what happened in real life.

Tower hit by meteorite looks pretty much identical to jet hitting it.

One tower hit at the top, one tower hit part way down on the corner.

It's extremely similar to what happened on 9/11.

Obviously a coincidence, just a very close coincidence!

Very interesting thread Kieron.

The trailer with Spider-man was awesome. Were they going to use that in the film? It was released in 2002 so clearly time to take it out ........ A great scene.

Are there are any other examples of famous landmarks being used in a film and they having to be removed?

i always thought that the spiderman 1 teaser trailer was done all with cgi before they had shot any of the principle photography, and nothing was intended to be part of the movies story

i suppose the coincidences between things happening in movies like this, and them happening in real life is that being big well known landmarks they are as desired by movie makers as they are by terrorists, and film makers use their imagination in much the same way as terrorists, thus similar plots appear in movies. i doubt that terrorists get ideas directly from watching movies and wish to replicate die hard and towering inferno. i would think that armageddon, king kong 76 and independance day are the last movies that would give someone the idea to destroy something like the WTC

in saying that, i was at home on 9/11 and turned on the tv to catch the news at 1pm and say the second plane hit the tower live on tv and watched the rest unfold on live tv. thoughts of die hard did go through my mind when watching it as it seemed so unreal, and more like watching a movie unfold

... some other movie 'mistakes':

Blade Runner - set in the future with Pan Am product placement

Rambo III - made during Sly's full blown anti-Commie period (along with Rocky IV) with Rambo fighting with the Mujahadeen against the Soviets in Afghanistan ... however by the time of the film's release Gorbachev had pulled the Soviets out
- some trivia from Wiki:
  • Ironically, members of the heroic Mujahedeen who fought against the Soviets on the side of Rambo in the film, would later form the basis of the terrorist group, Al-Qaeda, now infamous as the world's most elusive terrorist organisation responsible for multiple attacks on US targets. Osama bin Laden, now the world's most wanted terrorist was an ex-Mujahedeen freedom fighter.
  • According to the Guinness Book of Records (1990) it is the most violent movie with 221 acts of violence and over 108 deaths. The film's gross in the United States was $10 million lower than the film's overall budget, but received a large gross worldwide and incredible income from video rentals.
  • The Mi-24 Hind-D helicopters seen in the film are in fact modified Aérospatiale SA 330 Puma transport helicopters with fabricated bolt-on wings similar to the real Hind-Ds which were mainly used in the former Soviet bloc nations. The other helicopter depicted is a slightly reshaped Aerospatiale Gazelle.
  • John Rambo's horse also appeared in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) as Indiana Jones' horse.
  • At the end of the movie the words "This film is dedicated to the gallant people of Afghanistan" can be seen.
  • An extensive film score was written by Oscar-winning American composer Jerry Goldsmith; however, much of it was not used. Instead, much of the music Goldsmith penned for the previous installment was recycled. The original CD/LP contained only a portion of the new music. A more complete 75-minute version of the score was released years later.
  • The film was mostly shot in Israel and was approved by then Minister for Trade and Industry Ariel Sharon.
  • The 2004 DVD version of the film features an alternate ending, in which Rambo decides to stay in Afghanistan and help the Mujahedeen.

It's a good thing for these issues being raised here, because with all the removing of images of the twin towers from popular mainstream media I had totally forgotten about 9/11. ;)

I think the last scene in Spiderman is wrong as well.

he was meant to be on the flag pole on top of the WTC, but as the building wasn't there any more they decided to move spidey a few blocks north and put him on top of the Empire State Building. Only problem with that is - you can see the Empire State in the background.

(i think that's right - I've not watched it in a while.)

Gary

Is it just me, or have 'the terrorists' actually won in the end? :suicide:

I mean... when Hollywood is now effectively pretending that the twin towers never existed.... how ultimately and incomprehensibly sad. :rolleyes:

theres still 3 scenes in spiderman where you can see the reflection of the towers in spideys eyes if i remember correctly.

also the ending of metal gear solid 2 had to be heavily edited as it showed the giant ship arsenal gear crashing into and devastating new york.

Last BBC broadcast omitted it.

Funnily enough they seem to have omitted the 5.1 soundtrack also!

After 11/9 Jamie Lee Curtis was asked whether a sequel to True Lies was on the cards and she replied "No, terrorism isn't funny" duh! Like it was in 1994!! Dumbass!!

I noticed this soon after 9/11 made me feel sick...These guys get a lot of thier ideas from movies....:rolleyes:
Ok not the meteorite but the towers burning must have sparked an interest, i wonder if the time between the movie release and the attack tally up with the planning of it...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom