Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by cabanatuan, Jun 5, 2010.

1. cabanatuan

cabanatuan
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,950
    Man i cant wiat for this game to come out.

fully destructible buildings and can enter inside all of them

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead Video Game, New Mechanics Walkthrough Part I | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead Video Game, New Mechanics Walkthrough Part II | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/new-mechanics-arma-ii/100294

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More pics here http://www.krawall.de/web/ArmA_2_Operation_Arrowhead/gallery/

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  2. namuk

namuk
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,332
    Oh dear , more like Operation Do not buy this Job..

3. BSNismo

BSNismo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,368
    Dunno mate some of them screenshots look awesome that are in that link. The first 2 on this page look great aswell but the 3rd looks very average. Hope this isn't as anal as the first though as i really wouldn't mind trying this but the last was way over the top for me.

Something between Flashpoint Dragon Rising and Arma2 should be cool as i thought Flashpoint was class.

4. cabanatuan

cabanatuan
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,950

And it begins. Seriously guys if your not interested in the game dont post or ignore it?:facepalm:

5. Houghsx

Houghsx
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,365
    The tank shot looks great. I'm interested in this statement: Better Performance compared to Arma2
    Let us know how it performs as I'm sure you will be getting this.

6. namuk

namuk
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,332
    Knowing this game mate they Photoshoped the screenshots , all i can say i am glad they did not invent the wheel, as it would be Square.

7. cabanatuan

cabanatuan
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,950
    Have you ever played arma 2 on high settings with AA on? Its one of the best looking games on the pc.

You seem 100% sure that all screenshots are photoshopped. head over to there forums and you will quickly find out they dont photoshop their screenshots. I know because i've played Arma 2 and it looks just as good as the screenshots they use to advertise this game.

I cant wait to get this game. the previous one ran fine on my 260gtx with a i7. i could play on most stuff on high settings and it was one of the best looking games on my pc. Diddnt encounter many bugs that loads of people here moaned about. I dont even think anyone here played teh full game with the latest patch.

OPF2 was **** and a total failure on the pc platform(dumbed down controls, p2p online play, maximum of 32 players online, no mods etc etc) while Arma 2 to this day is still going strong.

check this video out on how quick and easy it is to develope scenario's on your own. Also gives a good idea on how nice the game looks graphically.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gyVO7BZIss&feature=player_embedded

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  8. namuk

namuk
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,332
    i have played ArmA 2 Jonny , i do not come to Conclusions without trying a game, ArmA 2 can look as good as it Wants to , this Still does make it a good game. ArmA2 is still going strong Because no one Realises there playing with Bots.

9. cabanatuan

cabanatuan
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,950
    Which patch did you use to play arma 2?

What if this game fixes the issues you had with this game? Will you give it a try?

10. namuk

namuk
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,332
    The patch i used was Add/Remove , this fixed Massive amount of issues even give me more Hard drive space :)
    not got the game now mate ..

11. cabanatuan

cabanatuan
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,950

So you diddnt even try it with the latest patch and you didnt answer my question. Would you get this game if it fixes issue and bugs you encounered?

Is it just bug related issues you diddnt like or is it purely for the fact that this game is not a run and gun game and dont enjoy slow paced games?

12. mrbobc

mrbobc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +424
    i remember playing the first arma with the latest afaik 1.15 patch and i still couldnt finish the single player mode because of a bug. if it takes 15 patches to allegedly fix a game from release then it pretty much sucks.

i got the exact same feel from arma 2 as 1, the controls were clunky and it felt like an age to do anything like select a grenade for instance which when your in the **** is worse than useless and i didnt buy it because of this and many other issues from the first game and the demo of the 2nd. it does look very nice though and i did give arma 1 more than enough chances and got to about 85% complete before having to give up :(

whats the latest patch for arma 2 up to now out of interest?

im not dismissing this latest game out of hand but itd have to be a big improvement for me to buy it.

13. namuk

namuk
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,332
    A patch only fix's Base issues i.e bugs ect, not game play or even the Whole idea of the game, Only they way they fix game play issues or idea is a Complete new game engine.

Why not Try wings of prey , that is no Run and Gun.. and then Compare game engines ..

14. BSNismo

BSNismo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,368
    I can remember about 5 or 6 posts from yourself in the OPF2 thread raving how good OFP2 was and that you were "LOVING" and that the gun handling was so realistic and it was more polished etc etc than Arma2.

OPF2 was a class game and miles better than Arma2, it looked better and had better sounds and co-op was great.

Agree with Nam the Wings of Prey engine is stunning and shows it doesn't have to run like a hog to look good.

15. GMC79

GMC79
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,172
    Hope it does run better than 2 may make it better to play, hope there's a decent demo cos certainly not buy blind. just didnt like 2 not really sure why.
    OPFP2 was class but i found it very very hard and got bored dying when i cant even see the enemy :rotfl: But looks amazing.
    Agree on Wings of prey aswell, only played demo but looks gorgeous, and that's with limited demo settings :eek:

16. cabanatuan

cabanatuan
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,950
    How can you compare a flight sim to a mili sim?

17. cabanatuan

cabanatuan
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,950
    i think its at 1.21 now. I never tried campaign mode to be honest. i always played this game online with 20+ other lads all doing coop missions spamming the whole island. It always took us over 2 hours to complete it.

Fantastic game online with people you know. That way, you dont encounter no stupid AI your trying to control as people from your team are all human players. The enemy AI is pretty good as well and always a challenge as you cant just go out with guns blazing. You really have to be patient and work as a "team" to be succesful.

About OPF2. i dont think i praised it. i said it was a decent game as me and a mate did a coop session on it. The gun sounds are amazing and the CQC system is indeed better than Arma 2. That i will agree on

18. cabanatuan

cabanatuan
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,950
  19. ukez

ukez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    This item will be released on June 29, 2010.
    Pre-order now as its out in 4/5 days time..

AMAZON HAVE STOPPED IT AT THAT PRICE NOW
    Pre Order Price: £16.99 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK with Super Saver Delivery.

GET IT ON PLAY.COM NOW INSTEAD

ALSO FOUND IT FOR £16:95 DELIVERED HERE

YouTube - ARMA II: Hands On (In Depth Gameplay Overview) S01E09

Product Features

* Standalone release: Operation Arrowhead does not require the original ARMA II
    * New factions available: Amazing variety of local army and guerrillas
    * New weapons and vehicles: Apache, Chinook, M3 Bradley and many more..
    * Includes ARMA II Warfare mode: Improved large scale multi-player experience with elements of real time strategy game play
    * Deep storyline: The chance to enlist in various roles within the US Army. From basic infantry to pilot and tank crew
    * Three new game environments: Takistan, Zargabad and the Desert

-Takistan: 160 square km of Central Asia modeled with extreme precision using real world data.

-Zargabad: 70 square km of extremely realistic environment including full areas of dense urban CQB conflicts.

-Desert: Empty desert map to be filled with randomly generated settlements using the town-generation module.

-Vehicles
    AH-64 Apache, MH-47 Chinook, AH/MH-6 Littlebird, Stryker variants, M3 Bradley, T-55, BTR-60, M113, UH-1H

-Weapons
    FN FAL, FN SCAR variants, Lee Enfield

-Factions
    -Bluefor US Army, Germany, Czech Republic
    -Opfor Takistani Army, Takistani Militia

+Independent Guerrillas

[​IMG]

If you've got a high end PC spec with lots of RAM and a beast of a graphics card, you can expect graphics the same as the below videos.[/B]

YouTube - Arma 2 "Thunder"YouTube - Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead Trailer (Un-Official)

This is best played with a wired xbox360 controller with the 360 headset to talk to your team mates on-line, the 360 controller is 100% compatible and pre -configured straight out the box with the coloured button symbols displayed in the menu's, which is brilliant. Most of the buttons are the same as when your playing something like COD on the 360. All bar the map and command buttons.. :thumbsup:

I couldn't get it to work with my wireless 360 controller using the play and charge cable, but i think it works if you have an official wireless USB receiver and use your wireless controller and headset that way. :lesson:

YouTube - Arma 2 "UH-1Y Venom"

Technology

The Game Engine

ARMA 2 uses the third-generation Real Virtuality (PDF) game engine, which has been in development for over 10 years and of which previous versions are used in training simulators by militaries around the world. This engine has full DirectX 9 support (Shader Model 3).

It features realistic day-night cycles, changing weather, fog and visibility, and a view distance of up to 10 kilometres. Every weapon in the game fires projectiles with real trajectories, drop off, and penetration characteristics. As such, no weapon system in the game is a "guaranteed" hit - only after the engine has simulated the event can it be determined if a given shot or missile has hit the target.

The number of agents supported by the engine is limited mainly by computer performance. This allows a wide range of scenarios to be played, from small unit actions up to large-scale battles. Almost all events in the game are dynamically defined, including most unit speech and AI choices about how to evaluate and respond to specific situations in the game world: scenarios rarely unfold the same way twice - although a side with an overwhelming advantage will tend to win consistently.

The player can choose to turn their head independently from their weapon / body, unlike in most shooters where the view is locked to the weapon. This allows players to look left and right while running forwards to maintain awareness of the battlefield or to look around while in a confined space without having to lower their weapon.

In order to make immersive missions faster to develop and less predictable, ARMA 2 features an optional "ambient battle" feature in which the world around the player can automatically be populated by friendly and hostile units who will engage in combat.

Video below shows head tracking with Arma 2, for hardcore gamers

YouTube - TrackIR5 & ArmA2 Premier (TrackIR 5)

EPIC GAME :thumbsup:

One of the best on-line clan's for Arma 2 which is always on-line any time of the day and there's always players in it is 7th Cavalry Regiment - Barracks, the guys truly are professionals at this game. Probable because allot of them are military in the real world, if you play them and hear all there military jargon on the mic you will love it...that's all I can say.

See you on the battlefield....

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  20. cabanatuan

cabanatuan
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,950
  21. Buckster

Buckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    mmm - why a standalone release ? so that it can be charged at a higher price than an addon ? just seems a bit of an odd choice, especially since its called Arma 2 still ......

I'm going to be 50:50 on this one, I have Arma 1 plus all official addons, and Arma 2 - but somehow I never feel like I'm in the game - its hard to explain - but the performance of the game - even on high end machines doesn't help the realism when you've got stuttering and stuff.

22. namuk

namuk
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,332
    Look al pacino is useing Track Ir :rotfl:

23. ukez

ukez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I don't know what machine your running and how many software applications and services your running at the same time. But I run this game on a 52" Samsung in 1080P on very high settings, very smoothly. The graphics are totally awesome..:eek:

As for realism, for a Military Simulator (MILSIM) game. It really doesn't get more realistic than this, nothing else on the market compares.

On Arma 2 you have to make sure your running the official Patch Version 1.50, which ironed out a whole load of issues they had on launch with performance and allot of multiplayer issues.

They couldn't exactly just make this and not make it 100% compatible with the original one as pretty much all of the hardcore ARMA2 community have already moded there game with pretty much all the same content found in OPERATION ARROWHEAD with content and mods found on www.armaholic.com and everywhere else. So they cant call it anything to dissimilar, as realistically it its a tweaked ARMA2, with new maps modified, vehicles, weapons, aircraft's etc.

Anyway, with that in mind you would think , well what's the point in buying this then when I can just mod my original? Well... this is the point! There has been such a large influx of mods being created by all them different gaming clans that it has been become increasing difficult to flick between servers to join an on-line game as nearly every server is running different mods.

So for a (far out) example:
    If there was 100 different servers each using different moded content, you would need to have to make sure you download content from every single clan's forum or download sites and then individually run a custom execution script to run the game for each server that was using a different variety of modification... In other words it gets really technical for the average user. It kind'a kills the game to to a certain degree.

The point of OPERATION ARROWHEAD is to reduce all that messing about as its pretty much got all the main badass mods and extra content that everyone wants and uses. All that good stuff neatly rap'd in an official box called OPERATION ARROWHEAD. Does that make sense to you now?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  24. ukez

ukez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    He's more like Al Cappuccino :thumbsdow lol

25. BSNismo

BSNismo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,368
    Too arcade for me, noobs only need apply, Graphics look crap aswell. And nam Track iR rocks matey, i use it for my sims and wouldn't race without it.

26. namuk

namuk
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,332
    lol

Wing of Prey supports Track iR :) try it.

27. cabanatuan

cabanatuan
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,950
  28. ukez

ukez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Did you just call it too ARCADE and state its got crap graphics.. Well i guess it would have bad graphics with your graphics cards and your 640 x 480 14" CRT :laugh:;)

You couldn't get any further from the truth if you think this game has bad graphics and is too arcade.

Its a tactical shooter MILSIM (Military Simulator) and its only the biggest most realistic public released army simulator to date (Simulator being the KEY word!).

It uses the third-generation Real Virtuality game engine, which has been in development for over 10 years and of which previous versions are used in training simulators by militaries around the world and you think its ARCADE... LMAO Dear oh Dear!!

Move along please, there's nothing here for you to see. Click the search menu and look up PAC-MAN or something..

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  29. BSNismo

BSNismo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,368
    LMFAO...it was a wind up you numpty :rotfl: And seriously when i see your post about a weak system i was like fair dos, what's he got? Must have a i7 rig with 2 x 480's or something but LOL c'mon mate, it's slightly faster than mine.

30. eiren

eiren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,796
    Any other good MILFSIMs coming out soon?