1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arise Sir John!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by la gran siete, Apr 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,765
    WhaaaaaT? The Queen has just made the most mediocre PM since the war a knight of the Garter. The dullest ,greyest leader we have had who presided over the ERM fiasco has been rewarded with that most ultimate of gongs. Is it not high time we :
    a) scrapped the honours system as it stands and replaced it with a more modern variant such as order of merit. As a nation we are beginning to look more and more stupid by the day as we dole awards that are hardly meritted.Does anyone seriously think Paul Mcartney, Mick Jagger, Elton John, Booby Charlton Geof Husrt desrved knighthoods? They were simply doing their jobs for chriiiisakes.You are meant to gain awards when you do things beyond the call of normal duty. Like the Victoria Cross for bravery. I dont think there is a person in the land who thinks Mark Thatcher should have inheritted his baronetcy either. What has HE done other than make himself look rather silly. They are an anachronism dating back to feudal times . I would suggest we need to replace them and also declare null and void ALL inheritted titles such as Earl ,Duke, Marquess, Baron etc. We also need to get rid of MBE ,CBE and OBEs .Given that we longer have an Empire it seems ridiculous that one should be titled Commander of the British Empire. Whats that a couple of rocks here and there?In any case I want to forget about the Empire and move forward. I dont believe its something to be enormously proud of anyway.Irish famine , Indian famine,concentration camps in SA ring bells?
    b) whilst in the procees why not tone down the monarchy ie make it more of a bicycling monarchy as in Norway. Get rid of the stuffiness and encourage them to be more approachable. I suggest we refer to them as the Windsors or even better Saxe- Coburg -Gothas. Lizzie, Phil, Annie, Charlie ,Andy , and Teddy.

2. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I didn't realise he was Spanish.

3. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,765
    :rotfl: Flipping typonese

4. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,216
    Well I kinda agree with all that, except point B!

But I should be made Emperor... ;-)

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    After 8 years of Blair - bring back Major?

Anyway Heath wasn't very good and what about the 1960s Labour government who killed the British aircraft industry (TSR2 anyone?)

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I can certainly remember the Honours lists from the Labour Government of that period that included a peerage for the Prime Minister's raincoat maker and a damehood (??) for the Prime Minister's alleged grip.

Lord Gannex and Lady Forkbender as they were known at the time.

7. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    God help us, no thanks! Mind you it's a bit of push to think of a PM I would like back! :rolleyes:

We've had Captain teeth, the Grey Man, Mad Maggie, Big Jim, Whinging Wilson, Sailor boy Heath, all in my lifetime............... Maybe it's me! The curse of the crap PM's! :eek:

Mind you Home wasn't up to much, Macmillan was made to eat his own words, and Eden dragged us into the Suez scandal!

Maybe it's not just my bad luck then.................. :D

8. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Much as I normally hate to generalise,but they are all so similar in so many ways,no matter which party.

Honours have long been seen as one of the perks of the job,along with modern developments such as the lecture circuit for retired PM's.

9. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,765
    So what kind of honours system should we have and how do WE decide who deserves them?
    What really grates me is when ,for eg,I hear some ingratiating, obseqious football comentator overenphasisng the SIIIIIIRR Geaf Hurst or someone else says SIIIIR Elton John ( REAL NAME REG DWIGHT) and of course A M Sugar insists on being called SIR Alan doesnt he!

10. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    instead of forgetting about the Empire - why don't you first of all learn something about it !? if this list is all you know then no wonder you are all so torn and twisted over the guilt you feel ....

first lesson - look up which Empire led the destruction of slavery throughout the world in the 19th Century.......(clue, its not the Spanish or French).

the second lesson will feature the British Empire and the spread of the industrial revolution, parliamentary democracy, defeat of the Nazi's , the worlds first true common language etc...etc....

shame you didn't learn any of this in school.

11. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,765
    I am not suggesting Empire was entirely a force for bad of course there were positives but unfortunatley there were negatives as well and we should bear those in mind.The Irish were treated like scum for centuries and the famine was seen as "divine providence"by the British government the same government that refused to feed the starving( there was plenty of food i,e barley wheat etc, but that was exported). They even turned away American aid.If thats not shameful what is?

12. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Chard don't generalise old son. Britain wasn't keen on exporting the industrial revolution - just it's products. Other nations learnt, then pretty quickly overtook what we were doing. Within the Empire contrary to the likes of Nial (evidence? why do I need that?) Ferguson and co, industrialisation was piecemeal and never intended to help the native populations. Parliamentary democracy is something we should be proud of, but again, we had no real democracy until the late 19th C, by which time others had overtaken. Defeat of the NAZI's? Wasn't that a joint effort with the undemocratic USSR and the USA. ;)

Yes, the Empire had it's wonderful moments, but it also had a lot worth forgetting.

13. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    OH Mr Amc--p

ra - after the absolute rubbish he makes

14. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,765
    how on earth did he get to where he is?By sellingcr*p???I watch the Apprentice not because of him but because of the contestants

15. dazzafact

dazzafact

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Shoe horned in!!:smashin:

16. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    after 2 years there is nothing fresh to add so I'm closing this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.